Sonarr fails to start on Synology after latest package update

I didn’t think my DSM had updated…
Sonarr was working fine this morning and the only changes made were updating mono & sonarr through the Synology application page.
My DSM version hasn’t updated today

I was able to get my instance running again by downversioning both Mono and Sonarr two versions.

Not ideal but it gets past the error.

Synology DS212j: DSM 6.2.2-24922

Mono: Version 5.8.0.108-11 https://synocommunity.com/package/mono

Sonarr: 20180303-13 https://synocommunity.com/package/nzbdrone

1 Like

I ended up installing sonarr on an old nuc I n longer use running windows and restored the sonarr dB from the Synology and fixing paths…
Then upgraded to the latest beta… Not ideall, would rather have it all on the Synology… but at least with windows it’s much easier to backup/restore/manage/diagnose issues as the support from sonnar was non existent.

Sounds like issues with ARM-based synology devices due to an issue with mono on arm: https://github.com/mono/mono/issues/12537

There are some links at the bottom to synology community as they try to work around it. Hopefully the mono package is updated to resolve the issue soon.

Ah cheers Markus! Think I’m actually happier with server 2019… Might even move my sabnzb over one day to lighten the load on the Synology.
V3 beta is running really really well so far…
Cheers

How did you obtain an older version? The links you provided don’t appear to lead to anywhere that contains an older version of either package.

When I hit those links a couple of months ago they had download links with previous versions available :confused: Not sure where they went or why they were taken down.

Mine’s working now, but TBH if it goes down again I might just buy a raspberry pi and move all my downloading utilities onto it. It’s getting harder and harder to keep my old NAS funtional.

My Synology DS413j (DSM 6.2.3-25426) been experiencing this issue for the last three weeks. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Mono and Sonarr v20200409-16 repeatedly but continue to get the same error, “Failed to run the package service.”

Is this an issue that is being actively worked on? Or should I switch to a different product? Are there logs I can gather that might help troubleshoot the root cause?

note - this version (and all of them before it) runs perfectly fine in docker on a syno nas

Package Version: 3.0.3.849-ls14 by linuxserver.io
Mono Version: 5.20.1.34

i would expect v2 from there to work just as well

so you always have the option of shifting to docker - which also removes practically all mono issues, and any chance of those issues taking out dsm as well

Thanks but that’s not an option for me as docker is not supported on the DS413j.

Same issue here. Old DS212J worked flawlessly for years, now the service wont start.

Time for a new NAS if this isn’t actually being worked on.

Well, I was able to get it working with the help of u/feroc on Reddit. It’s basically just what he mentioned in (https://www.reddit.com/r/sonarr/comments/4c7ddp/howto_sonarr_on_synology_dsm_60_workaround/) except the path was slightly different since newer versions have come out since that post was made.

After installing the beta version of Mono (note the change in capitalization from the original “mono”), the MONO_PATH line in service-setup (not start-stop-status as mentioned in the original post) needs to be edited to read: MONO_PATH="/var/packages/Mono/target/usr/local/bin"

After I did that, I tried starting Sonarr and got the same “Failed to run the package service.” BUT… when I tried it again a couple minutes later I got no error message and in fact it started successfully!

As a complete newbie to the whole SSH and changing stuff can I please confirm that what you mean is, instead of going to the “start-stop status” to change the input, I need to go to the “service-setup” and change the line? Thanks

Yes, that is what I did and that fixed it.

1 Like

Hi.
The beta version has been removed and I cant get Sonarr to start (been weeks since it worked), do you have the install file available for the 413j or know where to get it?

thanks

Mono beta is here if anyone else is having the issue: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/spk/Mono/4.6.2-0096/Mono-armv5-4.6.2-0096.spk

1 Like

MuddyJake after weeks of my 413J not working these downgrades below worked perfectly… Does anyone know when or if this will ever be fixed for these NAS’s

Synology DS212j: DSM 6.2.2-24922

Mono: Version 5.8.0.108-11

So, I forgot to turn of auto updating and now Radarr and Sonarr not working again on my 413j, even when forcing to use the old Mono beta version.

anyone have a solution?

tia

I’ve needed to fix this twice now. So for my future self who might have tried updating mono because “this is probably fixed by now” and for other people who have the same issue; here is my summary of this topic and other resources to get Sonarr working again.

First, create a back-up of Sonarr (and maybe Radarr?) by copying the contents of /usr/local/nzbdrone/var/.config/NzbDrone to somewhere safe like so:
cp -R /usr/local/nzbdrone/var/.config/NzbDrone ~/sonarr-backup

Uninstall Sonarr, Radarr and mono through the package manager and check if mono is completely removed from the system by running mono -V. Maybe there is an old version still installed and you can remove it manually through synopkg uninstall Mono (v4.x) or synopkg uninstall mono (v5.x).

Download and manually install this old version of mono: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/spk/Mono/4.6.2-0096/Mono-armv5-4.6.2-0096.spk
I access my synology DS213 via a reverse proxy but for some reason I cannot upload manual packages so connect directly to your nas to upload this package.

After mono is installed, you can go ahead and install Sonarr. This will ask you if you wish to install mono (v5.x) but go ahead and install that.
When you’ve installed Sonarr, Sonarr will not start but don’t worry :wink:

Open /var/packages/nzbdrone/scripts/service-setup in your favorite editor and update the line:
MONO_PATH="/var/packages/mono/target/bin"
to:
MONO_PATH="/var/packages/Mono/target/usr/local/bin"
This will make sure Sonarr will use the older version of mono (v4.x), the difference is the capital M in the package name.

Start Sonarr again, the package manager will tell you that it failed but cat /usr/local/nzbdrone/var/nzbdrone.log will tell you that it’s starting/started :smiley:

To restore the back-up; stop Sonarr again (through the ui) and run the following commands:

sudo rm -r /usr/local/nzbdrone/var/.config/NzbDrone/nzbdrone.db*
sudo cp ~/sonarr-backup/nzbdrone.db /usr/local/nzbdrone/var/.config/NzbDrone
sudo chown -R sc-nzbdrone:nzbdrone /usr/local/nzbdrone/var/.config/NzbDrone/nzbdrone.db

That should do the trick so start Sonarr again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.