Asking for confirmation of sonarr logic

I would like to know and understand what the logic of Sonarr is in the below scenario, if you can bear with me.

Talking about latest Windows Client, if I set up a profile with all available resolutions (because I don’t care right now about having the final res, I just want to have it and worry about final good quality later) and name it “Must-720” and set the final stop resolution (the resolution which when available will mean that there is no better resolution for this profile so it should stop looking) as a WEBDL720p, Sonarr will:
a) When WEBDL720p is available and any 1080p is available, it will get one (the best? biggest in byte?) 1080p, consider it better quality than anything lower and the WEBDL720 will be ignored (either by size comparison, or quality comparison).
b) When WEBDL720p is available and any 1080p is available, it will get the WEBDL720p as the final resolution desired by the profile.
c) When WEBDL720p is not available and any 1080p is available, it will download the 1080p and never look for the WEBDL720p
d) When WEBDL720p is not available and any 1080p is available, it will download the 1080p and still try to download the WebDL720p but the quality comparison reports the 1080 as “better” or “bigger” and the 720 is thrown out.
e) When WEBDL720p is not available and any 1080p is available, it will download the 1080p and still try to download the WebDL720p and when it finds it, it will replace the 1080p with the WEBDL720p as the final requested resolution.
f) When WEBDL720p is not available, nor is any 1080p or any 720p, it will download what it can find, and still be looking for the WEBDL720p only.
g) When WEBDL720p is not available, nor is any 1080p or any 720p, it will download what it can find, and still be looking for the WEBDL720p AND the 1080p or any higher resolution to the one it currently has.

Which of the above is true?
If partially true and not covered by any choice, please restate them in the correct way.

Finally, if the above-described profile has any caveats or problems not mentioned above, please do mention them.

Thank you.

Ok. Lots of questions :slight_smile:
I think most can be answered with this:

• Quality profiles are ranked bottom to top by sonarr (orange arrow). Qualities on top are better than those below.
  • If sonarr finds anything that you want (the quality is enabled with the checkbox), it will download that.
  • If the quality is below your cutoff (red), it will download that, but upgrade the file to a better quality if/when it becomes available later.
  • If the quality is on par with your cutoff (green) it will consider the episode “done”, and not upgrade to a better quality, even if it becomes available later on
  • If the first quality sonarr finds is above your cutoff (blue), it will take that and consider the episode “done” and again, not try to upgrade to a better one.
  • Given multiple choice, sonarr will go for the “best” (as defined by your ranking) quality at the top.

The cutoff should be read as “I want at least this quality, but anything better you can find me is cool too. If you find a lesser quality file, I’ll take it, but keep on the lookout for something better please.”

I hope this already helps you a bit.

Your specific questions are easier answered with a screenshot of your quality profile (including cutoff), since I’m not sure if you re-ordered the qualities or not, so as to favor webdl-720p above anything else…

Thank you, that does explain everything I needed to know.

To answer your question, I have the same pic as you provided, and everything is checked except the 2160p qualities.

Thank you for the answer!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.