Re: redownload of shows at lower quality than already exists

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.5054
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
((Debug logs)):
(Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings and post the full log to hastebin/pastebin/dropbox/google drive or something similar, do not post them directly here)
Description of issue:

Hi Markus and co,

Thanks for the amazing app, it is greatly appreciated.

My question is the following.

If I have a show set to 720p quality to download, it downloads a fair amount of episodes, and then I happen to set the cutoff to SD and prioritize SD, why is Sonaar redownloading SD episodes to replace the 720p ones instead of just leaving the existing 720p episodes in place.

The only way to avoid this I have found is to stop monitoring a series once the season is done downloading, or if the season is still underway, manually removing monitoring on the downloaded episodes.

I guess re-adding the series and selecting “monitor missing” would be the other option but that seems like a big PITA if I have to do it for every series I wish to change.

Screenshot of sd profile posted here: https://imgur.com/a/M8q9a

Summary: I want Sonaar to download remaining episodes of a series as SD but I already have some shows downloaded as 720p. Sonaar is removing these and redownloading new SD episodes.

Sonarr looks at the profile bottom to top. So you’ll want to drag your cutoff (SDTV) to the bottom for those series where you already have better quality files.

Looks like you reversed the order for all enabled qualities in your screenshot, so Sonarr (correctly) replaces 720p files with SDTV, because you told it SDTV is “better” :slight_smile:

Shamelessly linking to a post I made here because it has an image and explains in more detail.

hmm interesting.

Cool post. Explains it well. Thanks.

Shamelessly moves SD back down to the bottom where it belongs…lol

I can’t remember why I moved SD to the top but there was a reason!

I remember the reason now.

I want some shows to download the SD version if available but if it wasn’t available, I wanted it to get 720p.

Therefore as I preferred SD if available, I put it at the top.

Is there any other way to do that without having it overwrite the existing 720p ones?

For those shows, create a profile with SD set as cutoff, SD at the bottom, 720p above that.

Thanks Thirrian,

Won’t doing that just cause the same issue? The new downloads would favour 720p instead of the wanted SD?

From your example post:

“If the first quality sonarr finds is above your cutoff (blue), it will take that and consider the episode “done” and again, not try to upgrade to a better one.”

Do I have to live with just having the 720p episodes and manually search for the others which are now released as SD?
With your example above, what I see occuring is, it will download episodes as 720p, as they are higher in list and more favourable.

Are you saying, that with cutoff set to SD, it will only download the SD files, even though 720p is higher and more favourable?

Ah, now I see what you want… I misunderstood. You want to really only have SD, regardless of better quality files that might be available for download unless there is no SD to download. I don’t think you can do that in a single profile. It will come down to which quality is available first.

Putting SD at the top is a bit of a compromise then, since that will indeed overwrite existing 720p files in favor of SD.

No. Whichever download is the best (as per the ranking in the profile) will be taken. So it would indeed pick 720p over SD.

Thanks, I was afraid that would be the answer.

I have gone through and checked the remaining shows I have and the 720p episodes available are german anyway, therefore they are rejected. So what you supplied ended up doing the trick for now and stop the existing 720P shows being overwritten which was happening with SD at the top

Maybe a good feature down the road would be to include more versatility with how profiles work. I know what I have asked about above is a pretty rare case though.

The only workaround I could see would be to unmonitor episodes that have downloaded as 720p already (this is what I was doing for the week before I posted here)

Thanks heaps for your input and I have saved the pic that you made in the other post so I can show others if they are confused :slight_smile:

What about SDTV above HDTV 720p and the cutoff at HDTV 720p? It’d grab SDTV over HDTV 720p if they’re available at the same time and not “upgrade” HDTV 720p to SDTV if the HDTV 720p is grabbed first.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.