Sonarr replacing full files with sample files as "upgrade"

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.3953
((Debug logs)) (posted to hastebin or similar):
Description of issue: Sonarr has a bug in the logic which determines what is considered an “upgrade”.

What happened to me is extremely strange and extremely frustrating. Dozens of episodes have been “upgraded” to their sample files (no that’s not a typo). Furthermore, several shows had their episodes flat out deleted.

16-5-5 21:47:43.0|Info|RecycleBinProvider|Recycling Bin has not been configured, deleting permanently. D:\TV\The 100\Season 3\The 100 - S03E07 - Thirteen.mkv
16-5-5 21:47:43.1|Info|RecycleBinProvider|Recycling Bin has not been configured, deleting permanently. D:\TV\The 100\Season 3\The 100 - S03E06 - Bitter Harvest.mkv```

I should add that the sample files being renamed do not show up in the logs, or I'd include them. I wish I had set up a recycle bin, because the files are permanently gone. Still, this never should have happened in the first place! On what planet would replacing a 1-2GB file with a 30-50MB file be an "upgrade"?? There needs to be some kind of check to make sure this doesn't happen under any circumstances.

We’d need to see ((debug logs)) of the import to determine why it happened. Samples are detected by the runtime of the series and the duration of the particular file, file size is not used because it was far too random.

Well, 40-44 minute episodes were being replaced with 1 minute long samples… so there’s gotta be something wrong with the detection there, then. It was consistent. If the episodes were not flat out deleted, they were replaced with 1 minute long samples. Every time.

Thankfully, I have restored most lost episodes now, but it was a waste of several hours for no good reason.

The log file is too big to upload to a *astebin site. Also I’m not sure I feel comfortable uploading it anyway. I did search for anything relating to all the files involved, and only found the deletions. The only concrete evidence that they were marked as upgrades is in the history tab on the episode itself in the UI.

This is the first time I’ve heard of this happening, so like I said we’d need logs to see why it happened, I have theories on how it could happen, but it would require a lot of things to happen.

Please PM me your email address so I can send them to you.

Are they debug logs? The logs you posted above appear to only be info. PM me a link to a zip on dropbox or similar and I’ll take a look. You can also email them to me at hello@

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.