Sonarr Mac helper app

I’ve created a little app for the Mac that monitors NzbDrone’s status, does updating, etc

https://github.com/jefbarn/NzbDroneMac/releases/download/1.0/NzbDroneMac.zip

This is the first go, so it might be a little rough around the edges.

Features:
Status menu icon
Manual update check
Looks Mono on startup
Run at login option
open web interface from menu

It’s written in the new Swift language (just for fun), so you’ll need 10.9 (Mavericks) to run.

Any screenshots you can show? :slight_smile:

Well, after hanging out on the forum for long enough to be considered ‘trustworthy’, I can do just that!

Like I said, it’s a pretty simple interface. I want to leave as much function as possible in the main NzbDrone web interface.
The main motivation was a simple interface that mached what nzbget,couchpotato,etc were doing.

Ok, cool. I can see it being pretty useful down the track, especially if you add something similar to the SB extension with regards to showing what’s airing today, coming soon etc in a pretty fashion.

hey, I grabbed your app last week. I’ve found it really helpful. I was running drone at start-up (probably like most of us). Which is certainly better than launching it through terminal each time- but being able to shut it down/start it in daemon through a menu icon is really handy (least to me). Much appreciated.

Thanks Meatball.
The app seems to be working pretty well this last couple weeks. Some things I’ve noticed:

• nzbdrone can’t restart itself through the web interface. I could put a watch on the process and just restart if it dies.
  • I originally thought that the update service built into nzbdrone wasn’t working on osx, but it seems to be fine now. I might remove that function from the helper app to streamline the code.
  • Maybe a menu item to show the console?
  • Other suggestions?

Hi jefbarn, You’re totally correct- I’ve never once been able to restart drone from within the gui. No idea why, assumed it was incompatibility with os x. One of the reasons I was so excited with your app.

So far my experience with the update service in the new versions was this- it updated and worked fine- until I rebooted where my config file had been corrupted. Not a huge deal, deleting it and rerunning it configured it again, but at the time assumed I’d be going back to the manual updates as I was weary of using it again. All of this occurred just a couple days before discovering your app which i was going to use next. Maybe wait to see how the next update or two go before removing it? My suggestion might be entirely self motivated but I’d be curious to see what other mac users experience was. Mine was a miss.

Love the menu item showing the console if it’s not a major undertaking. With that in mind, I’ll think about possible additional features that would be helpful. As is, it’s exactly what I was looking for. I’d been trying to write an apple script/app that would at least give me the ability to launch the app. Obviously this is much better. A no-brainer for mac users. Thanks dude.

I had similar issues with it not restarting properly from within the gui, but it ended up being how I had something or other configured (the plist I think). Markus pointed out the correct way to do it and it’s been fine since.

I can’t remember what it was off hand, but it’s in this forum somewhere, so let me try and track it down.

EDIT: Ok, that was easy. Here’s the post that sorted it out for me: http://forums.nzbdrone.com/t/issues-with-update-osx/942/5

Hey simon, thanks a lot for the help. Ill be sure to get that updated.

If you’re having issues with drone being unable to restart from the UI its because launchd is terminating the shell drone is running in when its restarted because the process dies, there is a fix to that.

the plist file needs this:

<key>AbandonProcessGroup</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Disabled</key>
        <true/>

Added to the <dict> block.

Whenever I click ‘Check for updates’ I get the same notification.

“A New version of NZBDrone is available
Current Version: 0.0.0.0
Available Version: 2.0.0.1690”

Clicking download doesnt seem to have any affect. Plus I’m already running 2.0.0.1690

Barry_craig, did you ever get your issue fixed? I’m having basically the same problem

Hey Jef

Do you have source code published somewhere? I would like to use your app but would be more comfotable if I could see the source. Nothing personal man, just trying to be secure. Thanks

Arun

https://github.com/jefbarn/NzbDroneMac/

Hey Jeff, still using the Drone macapp. It’s till the most handy solution I’ve come across.

I ran into my first issue. It’s not so much an issue as the operation still runs but it prevents drone for launching the web page (it is running however). For some reason, since I upgraded to the most recent mono version 3.10- the mac app actually gives me a pop up saying I need to have a working version of mono and asks if I would like to download it- which points me to the versions I’ve already updated to. I’ve confirmed that the new mono is installed and working properly. Do you have any idea how I could fix this?

Thanks much,

Damien

Hi Damien,
Yeah the code doesn’t handle the double digit version number in ‘3.10’. Should be a simple regex change, I’ll look into it.

awesome, thanks buddy I miss it. Do you mind responding when it’s been updated so I can re-download? thanks a lot

New Mac helper app is up at:

hey that’s excellent. thanks jefbarn

Just to note, we have been in contact with @jefbarn and will be releasing his helper app as part of our official mac release.