Sonarr failed to import

W7SP1

Ok so I enabled the ‘Automatically import completed downloads from download client’ to see how that feature works,
however, it failed at importing anything due to the error:

Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: C:\Users\user1\Downloads\SeriesTitle.S01E03.720p.HDTV.x264-aAF[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder.

I’m running from the startup folder and not service. I have checked that current logon and sonarr has all proper permissions, however, I have my client set to not ‘create subfolder for torrents with multiple files’ so only the actual loose individual file are downloaded/saved to mapped network drive (T:). The reason I mention this is because the error messages mentions the local path and the name of the download as it was grabbed/downloaded in the client was a folder, So basically it seems that sonarr is looking for a downloaded folder at the downloaded location that does not exist, at least that is what it appears to be doing.

I also tried re-creating the folder at the remote downloaded location(T:) and moving the file into the folder with same downloaded name structure but it still failed with same error message. I also tried creating the same folder in the local folder(C:\Users\user1\Downloads) with same name and it still failed.
Security properties for local downloads folders are ‘Full control’ for: System, user1, and Administrators.
I forgot to mention that the (T:) mapped network drive has modify permissions for everyone.

You’ll definitely want that setting enabled, otherwise no season packs will work.

Are your download client (qbit I assume) and Sonarr on different machines?
It appears so, so you’ll need to setup a remote path mapping to remap the remote path (from the download client) to the local path (the one Sonarr can access, which would be on C:\ and T:\ respectively.

Sonarr and qbit are on the same machine, however, qbit downloads the files directly to the network mapped drive (T:) which is on a different machine. Sonarr also has this drive (T:) mapped as a root folder.
What do you mean by ‘no season packs will work’ if I leave that setting enabled?

Based on the error qbit is downloading to C:\ not T:\ unless you used a remote path mapping to change it to the path Sonarr is logging, in which case, remove it.

You don’t need a root folder added unless that’s where the series are stored and you shouldn’t have a root folder pointed at the directory where your download client is downloading things. Keep sorted and unsorted files separate.

I said it they won’t work unless it’s enabled, or they won’t work if it’s disabled.

Ok, so I have removed the root path(T:) and added the path where all the series are stored and sorted(D:). As per the screenshot you can see that Qbit’s download path is (T:). The importing continues to fail.
What I mean by the season pack is: what/how exactly the season packs will not work(what and how will it not work?) please elaborate.

Delete that Remote Path Mapping, right now all it does is tell Sonarr to look in the wrong place for downloads. Unless there is a reason you’re doing that?

Sonarr will never be able to import them.

Yes there is, the reason I’m doing that is because sonarr requires it, reference the screenshot. Unless you meant to delete the “entire mapping” and not just the “remote path”.

Not been inside the folder made no difference as I have already explained that I had already tried it within the folders with all content and naming structure intact and it made no difference to sonarr as it failed to import regardless

Ok, so I went ahead and deleted the entire “Edit Remote Path Mapping”.
Checked QBT to create subfolders for torrents with multiple files and restarted sonarr.
Went back and download the 1st missing episode of a show and and I saw that while it was downloading, it created the entire folder by the name given from the indexer, and after it completed, sonarr renamed that folder with the same name given for that series by sonarr and it is now showing in the list of downloaded episodes in that series(I initially did not understand this as I though that this entire importing was for sonarr to create some kind of hardlink to that other location in (C:). So then I download the previous episode that showed missing and did the same thing except this time it took that episode and moved to the folder where the 1st one downloaded…this is perfect and better than I expected, so why should I just not point QBT to (D:) instead of (T:)? I mean it is ok either way but apparently sonarr will not see all those episodes from all the series that are on (D:) since they are all loose and not in any folders.

Ok, so would you explain the reason why in your comment:
“you shouldn’t have a root folder pointed at the directory where your download client is downloading things. Keep sorted and unsorted files separate.”

Yes, I mean delete the entire mapping and why I said “Delete that Remote Path Mapping” not “Delete the Remote Path from the mapping” (or something similar).

In this case sure, because you’re telling Sonarr to import files from a place that doesn’t have those files with that Remote Path Mapping.

Because you should keep sorted and unsorted files separate.

Then you should organize them into the correct series folders/use manual import to do that from those files.

It keeps a nicely organized library with files in series folders, renamed nicely (if that’s what you want), which is how Sonarr is designed to work.

If you mix sorted and unsorted files you’ll end up with something like:

• TV
    • /Series A
    • /Series B
    • /Series.A.S01E01.xyz-RlsGroup.mkv
    • /Series.B.S01.xyz-RlsGroup

Then you’ll ask why Sonarr is either not moving files or renaming them to episode folders instead of season folders, which it’s not doing your download client is just polluting it.

Let your download client dump files/folders into one folder and Sonarr to sort to another.

Yes, that is what I meant, however, I do not have sonarr renaming any files nor to create any missing folders> in the media management category the only items that i have checked are ‘Use Hardlinks instead of Copy’ and ‘Ignore Deleted Episodes’.

If I leave QBT to download at (T:) which is only a temp location for (D:) then once I manually relocate those files and move them to (D:) then sonarr will revert back to files missing once it scans that location. So I figured that after seen how it works, that I would just point QBT to (D:) and allow sonarr to create the series folders in (D:) and let sonarr automatically move/relocate future incoming episodes to those folders so this would serve two purposes for me: 1: all these folders would now take the place of one single temp folder location and 2: I would not need to manually relocate/move these files constantly from (T:) to (D:) at that remote machine.

Remember there are currently no folders in (D:) just individually loose episodes for all the series. What i have always done was to wait till the end of the season for a series then i would create the series folder eg.(Better.Call.Saul) and then move all the individually loose episode files into that folder. It appears that sonarr would be doing some/most of this task. For now I could just leave the currently loose episodes in (D:) till the end of the season and then manually move them to the season folder that was initially created by sonarr. Future seasons would not have any loose episodes at this location because sonarr would be placing them all in the series folders. Compared to how I have been doing it, sonarr would be doing 95% of the work for me.

The other benefit of moving things to D:\ will be hardlinks (assuming they will work over a network) because T:\ -> D:\ wouldn’t work (they are separate volumes).

I’d suggest having separate directories on D:\ though, something like:

D:\TV - sorted files in Sonarr
D:\Downloads - Qbit’s folder

T: and D: are on the same volume at the remote machine. I will test the hardlink.
Good idea but i will name them both with shorter names.

I just added the new show ‘cosmos possible worlds’, that just released the first two episodes of the season, however, for both of theses episodes sonarr and qbit left both folders named as they were downloaded from the indexer without auto-renaming them as set in sonarr’s title for that series(Cosmos.Possible.Worlds), perhaps it has something to do with with the title on tvdb that it has a semicolon after the word cosmos: but I don’t see how that would affect sonarr and prevent it from auto-renaming the folder(s). I thought I broke it after i changed the download path in qbit or it was because the earlier test I did was with a single title series like “DAVE” so I retested with two other titles that have multiple names in their titles like “family guy” and three parts titles like “star trek picard” and they were properly auto-renamed, so unless it is due to the semicolon, I have no idea why sonarr did not auto-rename them. I even tried switching this series back to T in both qbit and sonarr but had the same results.

The files that are been downloaded are left with the [rarbg] appended at the end of each episode’s file name, is there a way to either prevent it or auto-rename this so it removes this from the file name?

By the way why does a series try to download the 720p-hdtv version of a new episode when I have it specifically set for 720p-web and with a single tag assigned to it?. The 720p-hdtv did not match the quality nor the release-group(tag). I removed it from the queue and set it to the blacklist, however, I though the tags are to force sonarr to ignore non-matching tags even if somehow it ignored the quality. If this continues i assume that it would it be ok to ‘uncheck’ the hdtv-720p from the ‘edit quality profile’ and add a separate custom hdtv-720p-only profile just for the eight shows for which I only download the 720p-hdtv.

For both issues, check the debug logs.

Which two issues? I mentioned 3. The same series did it again except this time by choosing the correct quality but incorrect tag. Sonarr is refusing to auto-name another series, actually it auto-renamed it the 1st time it downloaded but i deleted the folder for further testing so the 2nd and 3rd time that i re-downloaded, it would not auto-rename the folder.
So basically sonarr will sometimes auto-rename and sometimes it will not. Sometimes it will fetch the matching quality and tags for an episode and sometimes it will not. I’m going to revert to my initial setup where I disable the importing of completed downloads and switch everything back the way it was, at least that was consistent.

Anyway, here is the link to the pastebin log with the entire section of the log pertinent to all three issues which includes all the files/folders that i tested.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/5ntq3frdqw/

Reference names in log:
Katy Keene<—ignored quality and tag the 1st time and tag the 2nd time
cosmos<—failed to auto-rename several times for both episodes
vice news<----failed to auto-rename after the 1st time for several times
family guy<—successful at auto-renaming folder
star trek picard<—successful at auto-renaming folder
Batwoman<—successful at auto-renaming folder

Not renaming and grabbing something you don’t think it should, what’s the third?. Those are not debug logs so they don’t show anything on either issue.

Also look at Activity: Queue for a summary on why things won’t import (hover over the icon on the left).

I was been specific: 1. Not renaming some folders 2. leaving an appended set of characters to filenames in the folders that were renamed 3. grabbing wrong files.

I saved two log files sonarr.txt and sonarr.debug.txt, 1st one was for the sonarr.txt, and here is for the debug one: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/M5JP36k83S/

activity>queue is empty:
queue

What are your renaming settings? If Sonarr is not set to rename then whatever the release or filename is is what you get.

Based on the logs HDTV 720 is allowed in the profile you’re using.

I don’t see anything in the debug log for imports.

The only rename setting that I modified was for the series title to place periods between words of the titlename, everything else I left default. What do you suggest I set the episode name to? The names are fine as they are except the appended [rarbg] at the end of each file; for example: episodetitle.S02E17.720p.WEB.H264-AMRAP[rarbg].mkv

I did the same with the profiles by leaving them all as defaults. I simply chose the quality and a tag for each series as I was adding them to sonarr. My logic was that the ‘tags’ would take priority when sonarr attempts to choose between several episodes with same quality profile, apparently it does not.
Should I ‘uncheck’ the hdtv-720p from the main default profile? If so, I would need to add a ‘quality profile’ just for ‘hdtv-720p’ and assign it to the series that are set to download only the 720p-hdtv version, correct?

What are you referring to “imports” from the debug log? Are your referring under the section within the episode naming?

I created 3 new custom ‘quality profiles’: 1.) 720p-hdtv 2.) 1080p-hdtv and 3.)720p/1080p-hdtv. I moved the series that only download in 720p-hdtv to the 1st-profile and removed the 720p-hdtv from the global-default profile(HD-720p). I also added one ‘release profile’ and with three keywords from groups that I never choose in the “must not contain” field. I will probably add more later.

So that I can prioritize a preference for release-groups in 720p-web releases based on tags, would it work if I set set condition like this: 'Preferred - Term: WEB Score: +10

Then I set Tags: ntb

Would this conditional rule then prioritize all series with tags containing (ntb) that are ‘WEB’ over other ‘WEB’ releases that have a different non-preferred tag?
For example, if the indexer releases the 720p-web for a group(xlf) which is released first and my series is tagged with (ntb) which will be released 12-hrs later; with the above condition sonarr will not grab the (xlf) release and wait till the (ntb) is released to grab it, is that correct?

Those aren’t episode names. If those are the files there then Sonarr did not rename them. Which matches your settings because you’ve told Sonarr not to rename files. The change you made only affects the series folders.

Tags link things to series, even if you’re using preferred words in a release profile it won’t take precedence over quality or language.

If you don’t want a series to be grabbed in HDTV 720p at all then yes. If you do for another series then again yes you need to have it enabled for those series.

No need to prefer WEB if you just prefer those qualities.

I have no idea what this is trying to achieve.

If you use a delay profile that was for more than 12 hours, then probably, otherwise it’d grab the first one then upgrade later.

Those files are not tagged with the [rarbg] at the end of the file names, sonarr does that to the files after it renames the folder since those folders are tagged with [rarbg] from the indexer. If these files were sent directly from the indexer to the torrent client, then only the folder names would have [rarbg] appended at the end of the folders only. So my question is what file rename option can I set in sonarr to prevent the file name from including that at the end of the file name?

My point to all this is that although I prefer the WEB quality with a tag ntb for a particular episode, sonarr is obviously not capable of preventing the grabbing of other WEB releases where the tags do not match which is what I was trying to accomplish by creating some type of conditional preferred rule using tags.
Is there a method to set a preference/priority of WEB releases based on their tags? or prevent sonarr from grabbing WEB releases when the tag does not match for a particular series?.

{Original Filename} might work, depends how the files are named.

Do you want to prefer or require? You can absolutely require things, again in release profiles, but preferring doesn’t stop Sonarr from grabbing something else since if a preferred release is available.