NZB Drone Post-Processor, end of file gets cut off when moving across network

I have NZB Drone and sabnzbd on a linux box and my tv collection on a windows share. When NZB Drone moves shows to the windows share it often times doesn’t complete the job leaving off the last 100-500MB of the file. I tried moving NZB Drone to the windows machine and this problem went away. For some reason this only happens when I am running NZB Drone on the linux box. I really would rather keep NZB Drone on the linux box. I looked through the logs and couldn’t find any helpful information about why it was stopping before moving the whole file. I can send the process job to sickbeard with nzbtomedia and it works fine and moves the whole file. Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks!

Do you have SAB set to unpack to a UNPACK folder? Its likely that drone is moving the file before it complete my unpacks, which can be resolved by having SAB unpack to temporary folders.

Yea, I saw that thread and thought that might be the problem too.But I do have that set in SAB. This is also happening when the file is already unpacked and I manually scan the drone factory folder.

I’m running nzb drone on ubuntu server 14.04, I have mono 3.2.8 installed. I have a cifs share mounted with autofs where my tv collection is located. Nzb Drone starts moving the files to the cifs share and then sometimes stops before copying the last 5-10% of the file. I thought it may have to do with size, but it successfully moved a 5gb file today. The other strange thing is that if I repeat the whole process on a file that I had this problem with, it will stop at exactly the same point, in other words I can repeat this process and I will have exactly the same amount of the file missing each time. I checked to make sure these files weren’t some how corrupt and I couldn’t find any indicator. If I copy the files manually it works, or if I post process with sickbeard it works too. Also I am talking about files that have already been unpacked.

Thanks for the info, can you test if the file gets cutoff when moving to a local drive as well?

Are you seeing any errors within drone during the move?

I’ll try and test a local move. I didn’t see any errors appear in Nzb Drone. The show gets marked as downloaded in history.

Here’s what I did to test this issue:

First I put a 1.72GB show, which suffered from this issue before, in the drone factory folder and manually scanned the folder and checked it as it moved from the drone factory folder on the ubuntu server to the windows share where my TV shows are stored. It stopped at 1.62GB and deleted the original in the drone factory folder. I then deleted the 1.62GB incomplete show and tried the whole process over again. The 2nd time I did So it copied the whole 1.72GB show. So I repeated the process again and the next time it stopped at 1.62GB again. I did this a few more times and it seems like it moved the whole show about 50% of the time.

So next, I tried it out locally on the linux machine. I created a Test TV folder, added the show and then did another manual scan of the drone factory with the 1.72GB show placed in that folder and it moved the whole show very quickly since it was a local operation. I tried this a few times and it worked each time.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Thanks for your help with this matter. If it becomes too much of a pain I can probably just run NZB Drone from the windows machine since it didn’t have this problem.

I figured out that it had something to do with mounting the windows share with autofs. I mounted it with fstab instead and it works now.

Thanks for all the info and the solution, that is really bizarre, but I’m glad there is a solution.

Your Welcome.

i have no useful input as i don’t use linux besides you solved the issue just gotta post cause i love the Username very clever :slight_smile: had to sound it out to get it lol

@protocol77 Thanks :wink:

Anyway, I celebrated too soon. I guess I didn’t test my solution enough because I’m still having the problem. I may just have to run nzb drone from the windows machine. When nzb drone was on the windows machine it was able to move the files from the download folder on a linux share to the local windows folder just fine. I will keep nzb drone on linux for testing in case someone comes up with an idea as to whats going on.

Reviving this thread, because I’m experiencing this same behavior.

I have nzbdrone running on ubuntu 14.04. This same box is running nzbget, and when files are finished being fetched, they are renamed by nzbdrone and stored on my plex server, which is mounted via cifs.

Mono: version 3.2.8
Nzbdrone: version 2.0.0.1861

I have checked the fetched files, and they are in fine shape right up until nzbdrone moves them; when they arrive on the plex server, they appear to be truncated at a random point. I can use a plain linux “cp” command and move files back and forth from the cifs mount without any problems. This truncation happens both when I use nzbdrone’s “completed download handling” and the drone factory directory monitoring.

This is a problem with mono + CIFS shares, but we don’t know exactly how it manifests, it is not something we’re able to correct on our side.

A couple things to try:

I’d start with the mono upgrade because that will fix a number of things, if you still have issues, try switching to NFS.

Unfortunately, happening with mono 3.8 as well. :frowning:

Thanks for digging this thread up again, it gave me the encouragement and information I needed to try getting it working on linux again. I was able to get it working by taking Markus101’s advice. I set up an nfs server on my windows 8.1 machine and then mounted the nfs shares on my linux server. I used hanewin ( http://www.hanewin.net/nfs-e.htm ) Everything is working now.

Oh no, wish I’d known this earlier! I only discovered recently that a few of my videos have the end cut off, and I’ve just switched everything over to NZBDrone.

I’m using NZBDrone on Ubuntu and a local SabNZBD, with my media library on an unraid server mounted via CIFS.

I’ll switch it to NFS, but I’m wondering if anyone has an idea how I can find the corrupted video files without having to manually check each one? NZBDrone downloaded hundreds of files in the last two months - but now I don’t trust any of the files!

Try ffprobe, it might work.

Is someone here willing to donate time and remote access to help investigate the issue?

1 Like

Thanks Taloth,

Unfortunately for the few files I tested with ffprobe that I know are truncated it reported nothing out of the ordinary.

I’m working on a script now that uses mplayer to seek to 90% of the file and then attempt to play it (outputing to null devices) and report any errors.