Not HDTV-1080p?

i have 4 episodes of a show that are being listed as HDTV-1080p, when in fact they are WEBDL-1080p.
any ideas why sonarr is mis-reporting?

the file has been re-name for plex accorinding to their naming policy (ie “TVShow - SxxExx.mkv”).
the episodes were grabbed via Sonnar using the WEBDL-1080p profile.

i realise sonarr is probably defaulting back to HDTV-1080p because it doesn’t know what it is, but it seems we have a conflict between what sonarr needs and what plex/emby/whatever prefers in terms of naming policies.

unless i rename the file to suit sonarr when sonarr will assume i don’t have the required quality and keep searching for the required quality?

“you” renamed them. so they dropped out of sonarr and it picked them up again at the next disk refresh (with no idea what their source type is)

only because you set them up to conflict. make the naming pattern in sonarr the same as plex/emby/whatever wants

basically you just dont want the file name to change or it will drop out of sonarr and come back at the next disk scan/refresh as a “base” level for that quality because it can no longer tell what source type it is.

sonarr doesnt need the information in the name so long as the name never changes (its kept internally in the database)

hmm… ok.
so at the moment Sonarr isn’t doing any file renaming.
so you’re saying the solution is to have Sonarr do the renaming itself? and at the point sonarr will know what quality it is even though it has been stripped out of the filename by sonarr itself?

well i re-downloaded the content, let sonarr rename it, but it’s still being listed as HDTV even when the download profile said WEBDL

How did you have Sonarr rename it? If Sonarr didn’t import it from the download client/via manual import and you renamed it after it was in the series folder Sonarr will only be able to use the file name and media info (defaults to TV as source + resolution from the file, so either SDTV or HDTV 720p/1080p/2160p).

I got sonarr to redownload the episode via manual search. It then imported it and renamed it as part of the import process.

I didn’t manually rename anything this time.

We’ll need to see debug logs of the import process.

OK so it would appear there are some more issues at play here.
i deleted the episodes from within sonarr (clicked the X on each episode, which also phyiscally deletes the files).

clicked auto search on each episode and it added the correct episode to transmission.
the files get added and downloaded, but sonarr activity does NOT update to show they are downloading.

once the file is complete sonarr is then removing it from transmission but not importing the episode, and thus i end up with no downloaded episodes.

this is repeatable with all 4 episodes.

19-2-5 08:38:35.2|Info|NzbSearchService|Searching 6 indexers for [The Grand Tour (2016) : S03E04]
19-2-5 08:38:46.1|Info|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing 40 releases
19-2-5 08:38:47.5|Info|DownloadService|Report sent to Transmission. The Grand Tour S03E04 (1080p AMZN WEB-DL x265 HEVC 10bit AAC 5.1 Joy) [UTR] torrent
19-2-5 08:38:47.9|Info|EpisodeSearchService|Episode search completed. 1 reports downloaded.
19-2-5 08:38:53.5|Info|NzbSearchService|Searching 6 indexers for [The Grand Tour (2016) : S03E03]
19-2-5 08:38:54.1|Info|NzbSearchService|Searching 6 indexers for [The Grand Tour (2016) : S03E02]
19-2-5 08:38:54.5|Info|NzbSearchService|Searching 6 indexers for [The Grand Tour (2016) : S03E01]
19-2-5 08:39:16.2|Info|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing 66 releases
19-2-5 08:39:18.3|Info|DownloadService|Report sent to Transmission. The Grand Tour S03E03 (1080p AMZN WEB-DL x265 HEVC 10bit AAC 5.1 …
19-2-5 08:39:18.6|Info|EpisodeSearchService|Episode search completed. 1 reports downloaded.
19-2-5 08:39:22.7|Info|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing 62 releases
19-2-5 08:39:23.2|Info|DownloadService|Report sent to Transmission. The Grand Tour S03E02 (1080p AMZN WEB-DL x265 HEVC 10bit AAC 5.1 …
19-2-5 08:39:23.6|Info|EpisodeSearchService|Episode search completed. 1 reports downloaded.
19-2-5 08:39:28.4|Info|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing 63 releases
19-2-5 08:39:28.9|Info|DownloadService|Report sent to Transmission. The Grand Tour S03E01 (1080p AMZN WEB-DL x265 HEVC 10bit AAC 5.1 Joy) [UTR] torrent
19-2-5 08:39:29.4|Info|EpisodeSearchService|Episode search completed. 1 reports downloaded.
19-2-5 08:44:17.6|Info|RssSyncService|Starting RSS Sync
19-2-5 08:44:22.6|Info|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing 251 releases
19-2-5 08:44:23.0|Info|RssSyncService|RSS Sync Completed. Reports found: 251, Reports grabbed: 0

a physical restart of sonarr has fixed the issue where downloads weren’t getting imported, but it’s still tagging them with HDTV-1080p after import and rename, and in the activity windows it’s listing them as HDTV-1080p too even though the search is listing them as WEBDL-1080p

edit - spoke too soon… back to not updating activity status again even though it’s sent the download to the client.

i have the debug log files here, but forum offers no way to upload them

sonarr will happily download the same torrent but it wont import it as its already been imported before. its to stop it from importing a completed and seeding torrent (or at least i think it is) every time it checks the download client.

even if the previous file that was imported has been deleted?
regardless, it’s still listing it as HDTV-1080p when the download quality says WEBDL-1080p

Did you verify the files were actually deleted and registered as missing before you did the search?

And

Almost every time I have seen this problem it has been because of access classes or group permissions, but you didn’t list your OS, so…

Use hastebin,pastebin, dropbox, etc. and put the link here.

yes the files were phsically deleted and sonarr confirmed that no files were currently found.
OS is windows 10 pro.

i’ll go thru the process of getting sonarr to delete the files, confirm the folder is empty, confirm sonarr registers the episode as missing and run an auto search again. i don’t expect it to do anything different as it has already done.

however, this may be distracting us from the issue of the profile that is what i’m really trying to resolve.

i will post debug logs after i’ve done all that again.

TL;DR: Since Sonarr only keeps track of the source information for releases that it grabbed, tracked, imported, and renamed (or instances where you manually changed the release quality in Sonarr). It is best to have a release cleanly processed end-to-end in order to eliminate as many sources of interference as possible and better highlight possible break points.

Neither do I, but proper troubleshooting means you verify the simple things first. You should also verify that there is not an existing file in your completed downloads directory (or being downloaded currently). Also, if you can catch it, switch from debug to trace during the import/renaming portion, trace gives way more detail and is helpful for this type of issue. just remember to turn it back to info afterwards.

It may appear that way, but it isn’t really. You are getting clean debug logs following a single (or a few) release(s) through the following steps:
missing > search > grab > send to download client > monitor activity (downloading) > recognize completion > import > rename > recognize renamed file

Verifying that the episode doesn’t actually exist in the target directory, the completed downloads directory, and in the episode list in Sonarr is a good way to ensure that no other files are mistakenly used.

And, while I understand that you are more concerned with the file being misidentified after renaming we need to make sure that 1. We are renaming the correct release and 2. That Sonarr maintains visibility of the release through out the entire process so it knows that it is the same release. If sonarr loses visibility of the release during any part of this, it tends to cause problems, especially when the actual files or folders that are downloaded do not have the same identifying information in the directory/file name(s).

Better still would be doing this with an episode that has never existed on the system at all. we would probably still have to look at the logs, but if the episode history only had a grab and an import, it would be much easier to verify why the source identifier is changing.

OK i purposely waited some time for a new epsiode to be made available (one i’ve never had before).
sonarr picked the required episode (quality listed as webdl-1080p), it downloaded it, imported it, renamed it, and now sonarr lists the episode as HDTV-1080p.

We’re going to need to see debug logs to identify exactly what the issue is, but you may be able to pull some information out of Sonarr’s history from the grab and import events.

here is the debug log created after the file was downloaded and imported.

The Grand Tour S03E05
grabbed 14:19
imported 14:20

19-2-8 14:18:58.5|Debug|QualityParser|Trying to parse quality for The.Grand.Tour.S03E05.1080p.HEVC.x265-MeGusta-Obfuscated
19-2-8 14:18:58.5|Debug|Parser|Quality parsed: HDTV-1080p v1

The release name doesn’t have a quality in it, just a resolution and given that Sonarr is properly parsing it. At no point did Sonarr see a WEB DL 1080p release and import it as HDTV 1080p, it always treated is as HDTV 1080p.

ok i think that’s a bad example, as the previous 4 episodes are listed as webdl-1080p when doing a manual search, but are then listed as hdtv-1080p when imported.

ep5 doesn’t have a quality in the name, but the previous 4 episodes do.
maybe the list name has the quality, but the actual file doesn’t?

What does history show for that episode?

Specially I’m looking for the generic information of the grab/import + the details from the import.