Native mono crashes [kernel fix released]

No, I had blank Sonarr installs that didn’t crash easily. While those with series did. But download wasn’t needed, nor indexers.

Ok. Does it need any video files to be present, or if I just add a load of empty series, will that trigger it?

I’ll have a play with it at work if that’s the case, if not it’ll need to be at home.

Andy

Have to say I fell victim to the VM issue, things seem to settle down and I noticed my config was set for 1 cpu in a kvm config (did this back when this all started). Bumped it up and it gave me a few days of hell. Definitely much more stable in a single cpu environment.

Yup, but it also happens with single cpu, just a lot less frequently. Also seems to happen on certain host kernels.

Yup still having the same problem, I disabled analyze videos seems to have kept it from dieing a bit less frequent. adding series too quickly also kills it. Thank god for monit or I’d pull my hair out.

Getting similar errors:

http://pastebin.com/g6RnpzTw

• Hardware is a standalone Dell E6400 Laptop Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, 2 cores
  • Ubuntu 14.02.2 LTS trusty
  • 3.16.0-38-generic #52~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 8 09:43:57 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • Sonarr v2.0.0.3004
  • Mono v4.0.1

The backend won’t stay up for longer than an hour or so before crashing. I just turned off “Analyse Video Files” to see if that makes a difference.

I upgraded the kernel in debian to sid works fine now.

After posting this morning, I also upgraded my kernel to 4.0.4-040004-generic, and I have been up and running successfully all day!

Also still seeing failures on a Core 2 Duo, not running a VM - pretty much identical config to kleahey… would see errors occur between 10 min and 24 hours after starting. After yesterdays updates I can’t even get it to run long enough to refresh the webpage before failure about 80% of the time.

I decided to pursue the processor switching comments above and now have it set the processor affinity to a single processor. It’s been running for some time now and hasn’t crashed - almost nearing a recent record for the recent past…

Just a warning guys, 4.0.4 may or may not be stable.

A preliminary new kernel version for ubuntu is probably available somewhere next week.

sigh Looks like I lied, SEGV overnight again. Still running much better than it has though.

Is this patch only for the VM issues, or will this also help non-VM users?

I honestly don’t know. I just want to get this known issue out of the way, then we can look if there are other issues remaining.

Since most of the above users can still restart NzbDrone after it crashes - yall doing anything special to get it going again? I’m unable to start it again due to a ghost process still using the port. Already killed mono and tried fuser -k port/tcp etc… no luck:(

Debian 8
kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64
Mono 3.6
Hyper-V E5-2630v3 ( 6 cores assigned)

Hardware: Not virtual. Intel Pentium G2120
Distro: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Kernel: Linux server 3.13.0-53-generic #89-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 20 10:34:39 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Sonar version: I think it was from May 21
Mono --version provides:

Mono JIT compiler version 3.10.0 (tarball Wed Nov 5 12:50:04 UTC 2014)
Copyright © 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS: __thread
SIGSEGV: altstack
Notifications: epoll
Architecture: amd64
Disabled: none
Misc: softdebug
LLVM: supported, not enabled.
GC: sgen

Is there anything wrong with just setting up a cron for:

start nzbdrone

I mean, considering you can manually run that command over and over and it immediately outputs “Job is already running” if it is, or starts if it isn’t, couldn’t I just have that command run every minute or so?

Obviously not ideal, but is it an OK workaround? I’m no Linux guru.

Not a VM here.

Crashes hourly.

CPU i7-3770

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

Linux TVSHOWS 3.13.0-52-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 4 04:32:59 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Mono JIT compiler version 4.0.1 (tarball Tue May 12 15:39:23 UTC 2015)
Copyright © 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS: __thread
SIGSEGV: altstack
Notifications: epoll
Architecture: amd64
Disabled: none
Misc: softdebug
LLVM: supported, not enabled.
GC: sgen

Version 2.0.0.3154
Mono Version 4.0.1 (tarball Tue May 12 15:39:23 UTC 2015)

Currently trying to downgrade kernel.

and i broke it, tried to downgrade kernel, installed it rebooted. (SSH) wouldn’t change. Removed other kernels update grub, rebooted. Server never came back. Full reinstall in progress :’(

Not sure if you need another voice or not, but I too am having severe crashes on my physical server, where the entire thing goes after just a few minutes (much worse after the latest update).

Hardware: Intel Pentium G3258 (Dual Core)
Distro: Ubuntu 14.04.2
Kernal: 3.16.0-38-generic #52~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 8 09:43:57 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Version: 2.0.0.3154
Mono Version: 4.0.1 (tarball Tue May 12 15:39:23 UTC 2015)

I tried to check on the error in the logs but all it stated was just Native stacktrace:, without any further lines.

1 Like

Did you try to downgrade your kernel yet from 52 to 46. I’ve tried unsuccessfully but apparently that’s the key.

I tried going down from 53 to 46 over the weekend and the system would just stall on bootup.

I also saw the drastically decreased stability after the last Sonarr update, to the point that I couldn’t run longer than 30 seconds most of the time.

I’ve since modified my upstart script to set a single core affinity:

exec taskset -c 0 mono --debug $DIR/NzbDrone.exe

This got me back to the levels of stability I was seeing before the update (12-36 hours of runtime before crashing)

I’ve put a simple entry into my cron.hourly that checks and starts Sonarr as needed. At least that way I’m not constantly starting it manually. It’ll get me by until -54 is released hopefully.

That is what i think i will have to do too. I pretty much screwed my machine twice trying to go down. What does the exec do?