Download episodes at least ? hours after airing

I would like to download episodes at least ? hours after airing. It would be great if this could be set at the individual series level. Thanks.

You can create a delay profile with a tag, and apply that tag to the series you want. Something like that?

Hummm … never entered my mind. Bogus episodes are being downloaded as much as a week before the episode air date. I will explore the delay profile and see what I come up with.
Perhaps the delay profile functionality could be enhanced to include a selectable option that would prevent download until after air date, plus any additional time delay, use a tag and apply that tag to the series … that would be WAY cool.

UPDATE: I looked into the delay profile … it seems that a bogus item would be recognized, scheduled and just downloaded later. The whole idea of not downloading until after air date is to give legitimate items a chance to be uploaded and available, along with some possibility that bogus uploads can be removed before air date …
It just seems way more sensible to add an option to programmatically delay even looking at available items until after air date, then select best available and download.

I think I saw a PR once with a “do not download until episode is aired” option, but I don’t know what happened to it (it’s also not something I’d be interested in so I didn’t follow it closely).

What I found working really well to stop crap releases (hardly any on my indexers, but every now and then one sneaks in) is to set the minimum size for all qualities to something like 100mb. That takes care of all the 2-3mb releases with viruses in them. I never see fakes with a realistic size on my indexers.

My minimum size is already set to 400mb … stops the junk you mention.

For now I’ve decided to stop automatic downloading of all episodes by setting the RSS Interval to zero. This way I will, once a day, visit the previous days episodes and tell them, one at a time, to automatically download. This will completely prevent episodes being downloaded until they are aired.

I can only hope the efficacy of only downloading after air date becomes a thing and wait …

To restate the issue:

Episodes are being downloaded before their air date/time. This happens to be any time between just a few hours to more than a week.

This allows all sorts of bad downloads to happen. This creates a waste of system resources, abusing bandwidth and excess file space used, along with the time to deal with removal of the junk files and the mess they create in your Sonarr. All of which can be avoided.

Right now I manually tell Sonarr to “Automatic Search” for each episode which aired the day before. This works great as I’m not getting the junk files downloaded any longer.

On the TV series level I’d like to see a feature added that prevents automatic episode search/download until the episode finishes airing, plus ??? minutes additional time, before considering the episode eligible for match-up with items in the RSS scan … then download.

Well, that’s at least two of us now that are interested in seeing an option to allow “Do not download until after air date” in our TV series profiles. Could I have this for Christmas?

If you write it. People contribute to Sonarr by working on the features that THEY want or see value in. If nobody else wants to work on it then you would need to write it yourself.

I waited 2 years for naming to be added the way I liked it. (Goldbergs, The)

Well, if not this Christmas, then the next. I’m a patient fellow. Who knows “they” might be working on the code right now.

I agree with ThePOO … episodes should not be downloaded before they are aired. Thank you for considering this humble request. This would avoid all sorts of junk being downloaded.

I have a problem with two shows (Saturday Night Live and Mythbusters). In the case of Saturday Night Live, Sonarr downloaded the episode that is supposed to air tonight three weeks ago because someone posted an incorrectly numbered episode to Usenet. I think that Sonarr should provide a setting/option that would allow a user to configure Sonarr to not download an episode if it has been posted before its scheduled air-date. If this setting is turned on by the user and Sonarr finds an episode that has been posted before the episode air-date, the file is blacklisted.

3 Likes

Exactly !!! Please Sonarr Gods and Creators, give us an option in our TV series profile that says, “Don’t download until Aired!” … plus a little more time just to let things settle down ------ THEN DOWN THE EPISODE.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Many issues can be avoided by only downloading after Airdate/Time.

1 Like

Again, I agree with everyone in here … lots of problems could be avoided if episodes were only downloaded after they are aired.

1 Like

+1
I agree!

1 Like

I agree as well. I’m shocked this isn’t already a feature.

+1, I would like this feature as well!

-1 disagree

This comes down to crappy indexers and spam, which you’ll rarely see on any halfway decent indexer. I know I haven’t for years, and especially not after setting a minimum size > 0 for all qualities (e.g. just setting every minimum to 100mb).

Many cases also where this would blacklist legitimate releases (leaked for example), or that one show where the first episode was aired months before the season was supposed to start.

YMMV, just my 2 cents, etc

2.0.0.5085 - 12/07/2017 <-- most recent release … perhaps the developers are assessing “download after air-date plus a few hours” options right now, yes?

Anyway, speaking of indexers … I have fifteen indexers, some paid, some free … all of them seem to be prey to having fake postings at times. Pretty much all the indexers take down the fakes, and junk, once an episode airs and episodes posted…

Apparently, from folks who have posted here, this IS a problem and shared by more than a handful. Many folks suffer in silence with the issue … because they don’t participate in these forums. And even if they do read postings they are probably reticent to post due to possibly negative comments as a result.

I have a minimum size set to 400mb for lesser than hdtv qualities and 700mb for hdtv+ qualities. This takes care of some of the chaff … but the fact remains that episodes are being offered by many indexers that are bogus with what appear to be proper sizes — having upcoming episode air dates and wrong content.

So far, I’ve been pressing the “Search/Automatically Search” on each calendar item about 4 hours after air date and by doing this I get a valid episode every time … so it becomes pretty clear that waiting until air date, plus a few hours, pretty much helps to ensure you get valid downloads.

I found a solution to the problem it seems, although a manual one … I’d certainly appreciate the option to have the episodes downloaded only after air-date, plus a few hours, added to the software. Like I said … the option … if folks don’t want to use it then that’s their choice … no option, then no choice at all.

Regarding leaked and early releases … come on here — just how many early releases are we talking about … maybe three or four a year. I’m patient … I can wait on the normal release cycle … unless I’m told by friends there is an early release (most of which are junk quality anyway) and I can go get them manually if I want them.

Anyway, I had surgery three weeks ago and have been real quiet in this forum as a result. I’m back now. I can see merit in all that’s been said here in this thread, on this forum, but the fact remains that there can be much benefit for many if “download after air date plus a few hours” would be an option ---- participate if you want, or not.

While mileage varies, I intend presenting what I believe to be a great potential option to the developers and stand my ground. I ask for an option, which I believe has great merit.

Yes it is happening more and more that, sometimes weeks before the airdate, a bogus release is posted. And yes, the indexers will delete it. After a while. But that doesn’t help. It is already downloaded. And if the fake quality is above the cut off Sonar will not look for a better version.
So I favor a setting were nothing is downloaded before the airdate, preferably +XX hours or a day

Thank you very much :slightly_smiling_face:.