CPU runs through the roof after latest Sonarr update

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.4613
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): latest release

Hi,

Not sure what logs to provide exactly, but after updating Sonarr to the latest release last night, CPU usage on my MacBook Air runs through the roof. Whereas it was rather low before, the Activity Monitor now indicates a usage of over 120% constantly.

Any explanation for this behaviour?

Thanks,

J.

At least one other user had two instances of Sonarr running on his mac. you should check that in Activity Monitor.

well thatā€™s what I did, and it runs at 130%. Question is where this behaviour comes from

So, did you see two mono instances running?

Also, if you want to know about what itā€™s doing, you should check the Sonarr log files.

Hi,
Iā€™m experiencing the same kind of behaviour on my system after the last update, CPU rests at 35%-40% and after a few days hits 99%.

The system is: HP G9 Micro Server with 8GB ram, OS Win10, Sonarr version: 2.0.0.4613
Logs show no errors i can see, no duplicity in the processes.
One other thing I noticed was the ā€œRefresh Seriesā€ task never completes/ even tho the logs show it has reached the last show its still running.

Both the software and server have been rebooted.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Zoctar

Hi

As an intro I want to say how great Sonarr is, I came across from Sickbeard a few months ago, wish Iā€™d done it way earlier.

Iā€™m getting similar ā€œcpu hoggingā€ - NzbClone.exe *32 using 100% of one core on my system.

• Windows 7 64bit, 4GB ram
  • PentiumĀ® G850 @ 2.9GHz
  • Sonarr 2.0.0.4613

I first noticed this several weeks ago.

Nothing much happening in logs AFAIK:

=====================================================================
Component Message Time
RssSyncService RSS Sync Completed. Reports found: 100, Reports grabbed: 0 15:24
DownloadDecisionMaker Processing 100 releases 15:24
RssSyncService Starting RSS Sync 15:24
RssSyncService RSS Sync Completed. Reports found: 100, Reports grabbed: 0 15:08
DownloadDecisionMaker Processing 100 releases 15:08
RssSyncService Starting RSS Sync 15:08
EpisodeSearchService Episode search completed. 0 reports downloaded. 15:00
DownloadDecisionMaker No results found 15:00
EpisodeSearchService Episode search completed. 0 reports downloaded. 15:00

Although everything seems to be working fine, just my box is sluggish under the permanent load.
I tried restarting (complete reboot) about a week ago, and has been sitting on 50% the whole time since reboot (based on total CPU time used, nzbdrone.exe 159hrs, system idle 141hrs)

cheers

Iā€™d appreciate it to get a full trace level log file from one of you. Hopefully it will shed some light on what itā€™s doing.
Settings->General->loglevel=trace.

Where the log files are: https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/Log-Files

Probably a good idea to clear the logfiles first, and then zip up everything after a 5-15min run.

While collecting the log files, please make sure Sonarr is indeed at 100% CPU during the period. And please check that the user Sonarr is running under is indeed the home directory youā€™re gathering the logfiles from.

Feel free to encrypt the logs, if you want, and then PM me a link. Although the logfiles are automatically sanitized of most sensitive info, we canā€™t guarantee that nothing sensitive remains. So sending it privately is probably the best choice.

I had a similar issue, but I think I managed to find the reason (for me at least).

The notifications which appear in a box in the bottom right of the web interface showed one particular series had the [refreshseries] event running all the time, if i cleared the box it just came back again.

I investigated the series it was stuck on and it turned out one of the videos was corrupt. I was unable to delete the file in question as windows reported it was in use by nzbdrone. Stopping the nzbdrone process allowed the file to be removed and sonarr functioned without the high cpu usage once it was restarted again.

1 Like

Good afternoon bagpuss

It seems it was the same for me, I have removed the show it was sitting on by stopping Sonarr then moving the files away and then starting Sonarr again.

What is odd id that those files have not been touched in a long time, Iā€™ll check them all to see if any are corrupt.

Good catch mate.
Regards,
Zoctar

@zoctar What is the affected mediafile (releasename and filelength)?

For Win10 Sonarr includes the mediainfo.dll, for osx too, but for linux it uses the distro library.
About a month ago we updated the included mediainfo.dll from 0.7.91 to 0.7.92.1.

The Sonarr trace logfile might show if itā€™s looping internally in mediainfo or whether itā€™s roundtripping in Sonarr.

Sonarr doesnā€™t actually send the file to mediainfo, it only sends the parts mediainfo requests. which is usually like 1% of the total file. If a new ā€˜partā€™ is sent, Sonarr will log that in trace, thatā€™s what I mean with ā€˜roundtripā€™.
So it would be interesting to see if mediainfo keeps requesting the same part over and over again, or whether itā€™s just in an endless loop internally.

Hi Taloth

Iā€™ve set that logging level, Iā€™ll leave it another 15 mins then send logs thru to you. I can send a screen shot of task manager showing cpu usage.

Hmm, seems the logging level automatically reverts to ā€˜infoā€™ when you leave that settings tab. 2nd tryā€¦

I bumped the forum trust level for your accounts, so you can actually send PMs :slight_smile:

@Taloth - PM sent with link to logs

Tnx, but thatā€™s just the default info level log and doesnā€™t contain useful information. See below.

Dā€™oh. As noted above, I got caught out the first time that I set loglevel=trace, but when I exited that settings page and returned, the level had reverted to ā€˜infoā€™. I just now worked out you need to hit ā€˜saveā€™ for the setting change to become effective. The ā€˜saveā€™ button is not visible on my screen when Iā€™m scrolled down to see the ā€˜loglevelā€™ setting. Just trying to make the case that Iā€™m not a complete idiot.

Also I only cleared ā€˜logsā€™, not log files. Iā€™m all over it now though :slight_smile:

Having another go now. Will post logs in ~15mins.

Thanks for your patience.

[edit] logs sent via pm

Tnx for helping me investigate this.

One more thing: Can you clear the log files (itā€™s in the UI, but you can also just delete the files) and then restart Sonarr?
That way the log files should contain the entire startup sequence at trace level up till the point that RefreshSeries getting stuck. You donā€™t need to wait more than a couple of minutes before collecting the log files. Once the UI is available again after startup and the CPU load kicks in.

The log does show that RefreshSeries is indeed still running for > 60min, but doesnā€™t actually progress as far as I can tell.
The log also shows that MediaInfo doesnā€™t repeatedly requests file data, so thatā€™s not it. But itā€™s still likely itā€™s stuck in mediainfo somewhere. Hopefully the startup sequence log will give more insights.

logs sent.

@Taloth

Wow. Genuine thanks for getting me to give some long-overdue TLC to this PC. I noticed while watching task manager that somehow windows search had become enabled, and was using most of the other core of the cpu. I disabled that, plus deleted the series mentioned in the PM, now all is good. [refreshseries] now runs 10x faster than before AND it runs to completion. CPU use is 0% after scan completes.

Feeling somewhat dim that I didnā€™t trigger it must always have been displaying the name of the problem series when it was using 100% cpu. Maybe that creates a simply path for a workaround - ugly I know, but if scannign series name stays the same for some timeout period, the process could be jkilled, and that series (or better still a specific file) flagged as corrupt.

I didnā€™t delete any files, I just deleted that problem series from Sonarrā€™s list. Let me know if you want me to re-add it to help you debug what was going on.

Evidently the file that @effgeeā€™s Sonarr was hanging on was zero length, which MediaInfo really doesnā€™t like (anymore). Iā€™ve pushed a fix to develop to prevent that from happening.

If other users run into the same problem, but donā€™t have zero-length files, please I need at the very least the release/file name.

Confirmed that there were 3 series in my collection with 0 length files and was getting 100% cpu usage. Removing the 0 length files fixes this behavior.