Why Does the Scene Do This?

Why does the scene sometimes name seasons different from everyone else like Trakt or whatever makes it a nightmare to use things like NzbDrone

for example today a show i get called Bar Rescue came out on NzbDrone and obviously Trakt it is listed as 4x01 as does TVRage but the scene names it 5x01 so the episodes don’t grab so have to manually download and rename them to fit then place in drone factory what naming are they following that they are a complete season off??

i don’t really have a problem manually downloading them as it is not hard to do but just curious why they name them so different anyone have any idea why they do this?

Actually the scene names episodes as they are aired. Later on, when the dvd/bluray is released, or even made available in digital formats such as in the iTunes store, the makers like to split seasons and/or shuffle seasons around.

E.g. on TV it might have been a season of 24 episodes. When the dvd set is released, the makers realize they can create a season 1 and season 2 box, and charge customers twice for (price of single box of 24 episodes) / 2 + markup.
Let’s say a full box of 24 episodes would be priced at 50 dollars, they’ll charge you 30-35 dollars for “half” a season, call it season 1 and season 2 and walk away with 60-70 dollars instead of 50.

And don’t get me started on shuffling episodes around within seasons :wink:
You’ll see this mostly for shows that have no story progressing across the season. Judging from the title, Bar Rescue is some sort of reality tv where each episode is self-contained. So it doesn’t really matter which episode you watch first, as there is no “first” episode.
I have no clue as to why the content makers do this, other than “yada yada we felt like this order was more logical and expresses my creative feelings better” or some other hippie bullshit excuse like that.

Soooo… blame the content makers.

Short answer: Don’t blame scene, blame the broadcaster.

Long answer: Scene is right (they usually are), tvdb is ‘wrong’, but not really.
http://thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=250071&lid=7

This show doesn’t have very clear “seasons”, look in particular to 2013.
Season 1: 2011 month 7-10.
Season 2: 2012 month 7-10.
Season 3: 2013 month 2-4. (10 episodes) AND month 7-12. (20 Episodes), AND 2014 month 3-5. (10 episodes)
Season 4: 2014 month 10-.

Scene almost always takes a new year as new season. So the first 10 episodes in 2014 are season 4. so the 2014-10 ‘season’ is 5.
In this case it’s kinda difficult to determine where 1 season ends and the next seasons starts.

Before you blame tvdb, tvdb is strict in following the official broadcaster in numbering (with some exceptions).

In any case, get a new draft for season tvdb:4 scene:5. http://thexem.de/xem/show/1089

1 Like

I don’t understand how thexem works but we’re now 2 weeks into the new season and it’s still not fixed. Not the end of the world but having to do exactly as the OP mentioned is kind of a pain. Can someone do whatever needs to be done on that site to fix things?

thexem is user-driven, so someone gotta submit a draft or nothing is going to happen.

A couple of saints were good enough to look into it for you and add a draft: http://thexem.de/xem/show/1643, even though they don’t watch it.
Please note that someone will have to add new episodes as their air. You can’t expect them to keep it up to date since they don’t watch it, so …

That’s awesome. I still have no idea how to use that site otherwise I’d gladly add them myself.

Except now the scene is releasing stuff as s04 and this show is all messed up.

All of the Bar Rescue updates that I’m seeing on my index sites still show S05.

Check out what dognzb has for the last two episodes. http://imgur.com/idHPcaB

That’s weird. Looking at the 2 newznab sites I use I don’t see any of those like that. I see them as S05 as they’ve been showing all season.

And doing a raw search in Newsleecher of the past 10 days I’m seeing the same thing.

I just checked binsearch and they still have s05e06 as the last one also. Episode 7 should have aired and dog has it up as s04e07. Maybe s05e07 will get uploaded soon everywhere.

Yep I haven’t seen episode 7 anywhere yet and it’s frustrating. I wonder if Dog isn’t renaming the files on there for you? I’m not a member of that site so I haven’t used it before so just guessing.

Pretty sure this is exactly what they are doing, I saw it before when searching, but it appears they are renumbering releases, which is going to be an issue when the rar set has a completely different file.

Yes that will be fun for Sonarr!

I just installed Sonarr today to help escape the hell I was in with this show (and the other “usual suspects”).

It kind of looks like things are still incredibly scrambled, and I can’t figure out which data source/translation is causing the problem. The thexem map shows that there are mappings for the show, but what I’m seeing is totally bizarre. Shows in the “rage” season 3 are actually grabbing shows from the “real” season 5, many season 3 items are not showing up and in general I’m now lost.

Is it me or is it the “scene” is in the midst of changing how they’re uploading things? What’s my best workaround?

I understand this is an old thread, but I thought reviving this was better since the situation still seems similar.

Bar Rescue is so messed up it’s not even funny. Sonarr is showing results for the wrong show and it’s downloading the wrong show all the time.

We really need more control over this.