What's an API code?

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.4776
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
((Debug logs)):
(Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings and post the full log to hastebin/pastebin/dropbox/google drive or something similar, do not post them directly here)
Description of issue: I need more indexers apart from RARBG however none can be added without an API code and having scoured the net for more info I still cannot find out how to obtain one specific to each different site (RARBG is the only one so far that hasn’t needed one). Sonarr is set up correctly in that any files found feed to uTorrent and correspondingly into Plex however with only one indexer the chances of finding these files is slim and so the system often can’t find the episodes I need, hence the need for more sources. Does anyone know how to add more sources without the need for an API code, or how to obtain them?

API codes are used to get files from Usenet. Which I think it faster all around and safer then torrenting.

So to download files from Usenet, you need to know what the name is and where. This is where NZB’s come in. It’s similar to a torrent text file. You can think of it the same way. So say you go to the Pirate Bay, you enter something, it gives you a list of file you can grab, you click on the magnet which is the torrent file, which is just a text file with stuff in it, not the real program, and it tells it where to go and starts downloading the real file.

Well if you go to a NZB site, you can search for the same in the same way, and it’ll give you a nzb file that you can use to download that movie or tv show you want with a program that works with NZB’s. I like NZBGet. Works great with Sonarr and Radarr. So really one does torrents and the other does NZB’s.

Torrenting in general can be free. But the risks are higher and so you need to be behind a VPN. With Usenet, not so much. But in general you need to pay for a Usenet service. That’s #1, I use Frugal Usenet. I have for a few years. What is great is they’re pretty cheap! Only $50 per year. You can have 40 connections at once, and encrypt everything by using port 563 and turning on Encryption. This info would be placed for example in the NZBGet program under NEWS-SERVERS. http://frugalusenet.com/

Of course you can use whatever Usenet servers you want. There’s a lot of them.

Now that you have Usenet service, you need to be able to FIND those files. This is where NZB’s come in which is kind like like a torrent file. So you need a NZB Indexer. Most cost money. Generally Bitcoin or sometimes other ways to pay. A few are FREE. The Paid ones are far better. Most you can’t just get in. Some have a trial for new users and may be pretty limited on how many API hits you can get. Once you sign up and paid, you can go into your Profile and it’ll show you your API. This is the API you would put into Sonarr or Radarr, or CourchPotato and all the others. It’s yours alone.

If course many won’t just let anyone get on. Some of these places get taken down. Even though they have ZERO content. No movies, No TV stuff, it’s like the Pirate Bay where they get taken down even though there’s not a single Movie or TV file on that site.

I’ll give you a place you can sign up to get NZB’s. Registration is limited but currently OPEN!!!
https://smackdownonyou.com/

So you go into Sonarr, to Indexers, Click on NEWZNAB, Put in a Name, I just do Smack Down On You, for URL, you’re going to put in https://smackdownonyou.com/ , for your API, if you’re registered with Smackdown, have paid access, you can click on Profile on the top left which opens your Profile, if you look, will see Site Api/Rss Key:. next to it will be a very long numbers and digit code. Clip from there, and paste into Sonarr or whatever. Click on Test and it should show a connection successful message.

While I have UTorrent setup on my PC so that IF I want Sonarr to use it, I can, I rarely ever do. No need. With 40 connections open to Usenet server, files download quite quickly!!! Far, far faster then Torrenting which can be hit or miss. With $50 or more for Usenet access per year, plus around $10 or so for NZB access per year., and I have a number of NZB Index sites I’m connected to, it’s not FREE like torrenting can be. There are better PAID for torrenting sites also. I really just didn’t go that direction.

If you need a NZB site, go quickly to the one I listed before they CLOSE once again. To many users can slow a site up, and they’ll close and expand if need to and open once again.

Did I help or confuse you? Did you know most of this? Hopefully this will help the new people starting out.

Hi mate, yes does make sense and thanks for your response.
At this stage though for the volume of downloading that I intend to do I can’t justify paying, do you know of any other sources that I can add to the Indexers page which are totally free? I just need more sources for Sonarr to search.

Ya, I don’t know of any FREE ones, except maybe https://omgwtfnzbs.me/
Well not FREE, but free 10 API hits a day. This is not like the others, there’s a Omgwtfnzbs custom one, where you enter your User Name and the API. So in Sonarr in the Index settings, it’s on the top line on the right side.

Sign up and get your free 10 per day. If you’re not doing much, then that may be all you need. I will say, you start off small and grow and grow and grow in content you want to get for yourself or family members. Once setup with PLEX, it’s all Automatic. Go into PLEX and see there’s a new whatever now shown that you can now watch.

Plex is basically like your own Personal Netflix type service. Except it’s all content you like. It’s always there, and you can watch it anywhere in the world so long as you have a Internet connection.

I have come across FREE NZB sites in the past, but they generally don’t stick around. They get flooded by cheap people and over loaded and it’s not worth it. The cheap way is going to be Torrenting. You need to use a VPN doing that which is going to cost you money, and in general kills about half your speed using one. So you really can’t win either way. You may look at the NZB site I listed above and see if they have a free user level also with like 10 API hits a day or something. I don’t know as I just pay. It’s not much money. That’s $10 or so for the whole year. Less then $1 a month. I have a couple with Lifetime service for whatever that’s worth. I can say I have 11 active NZB Indexers currently. I also have Usenet service from a different site. So 2 locations. Allowing me 70 connections at once. 40 from 1 and 30 form the other. Allowing me to find just about anything and quickly. Blows torrentling out of the water.

Though sometimes on rare content, I can only find it by Torrenting. I can find higher quality recordings from Usenet by far. This has been my experience over the years and using different programs. Big fan of Sonarr and Radarr has been growing though Radarr did just crash on me a couple of minutes ago bulk importing my movies into it. It is still in development stage. No real stable version yet. It’s still pretty new. Reboot my NAS, all is good once again. That’s been the first crash I’ve had so far with it. So not bad. Really better then I expected.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.