WEBRip vs WEB-DL

I have read the discussions here:

But what I’m seeing is that there are shows for which WEB-DL is not available and it’s never gonna be available, while there are shows where both can be available and, for reasons unknown, the WEBRip version appears sooner.

This is leading me to use tags “after the fact”, once I realize a show belongs to one kind instead of the other. If I don’t want WEBRips when WEB-DL is available the only way I can do that is through tags. And that’s leading to a huge list of tags for just this specific reason.

Considering the current scene, I think that a differentiation between the two, accessible through Profiles editing, should be reconsidered. That way one could at least set up things as having WEB-DL preferred over WEBRip.

Thanks for reading.

4 Likes

I think it might be time to revisit this, now that Amazon and Netflix webrips are superior to iTunes WEB-DLs.

Restrictions need to be more granular. They’re just not very useful at the indexer level. Adding “AMZN” as a “must contain” restriction means no non-Amazon rips will get downloaded.

Can we please get restrictions on a per-show basis?

Settings > Indexers > Use the + sign to add a restriction. Add a tag to it, e.g. “amzn”. Add restricted words as needed.
Go to the series of your choice, use the Edit Series button (wrench icon), apply the same tag.
:slight_smile:

Ah, got it now. The “must contain” and “must not contain” is the actual text you want to filter on, and there can be more than one in each entry. Then the tag field can be whatever shorthand you want to call it. Then type that same tag in on the series level. Cool, thanks!:+1:

What’s sad is that I’d know a lot more about sonarr if it didn’t work so well with so little effort. You only really learn the nuts ‘n’ bolts of software when you need to dedicate an entire evening to setting it up :sunglasses:

I still think WEB-DL and WEBRIP should be separate in the quality definitions, for the opposite reason as OP. The superior Amazon web rips show up a few days later, so a profile with 1080p WEB-DL that can be upgraded when the AMZN rips appear would be desirable. And of course vice-versa for the OP.

Also adding WEBRIP to the rename template would be cool. Greedy, ain’t I? :blush:

You really consider WEBrips superior? Isn’t that re-encoded stuff? The fact that they have a higher bitrate doesn’t tell a lot, without knowing the source. Is the source superior? What worries me most are missed frames (which I have experienced on occasion with webrips but never with web-dl).

There is a very practical reason for not having Sonarr rename WEBRip to WEBDL. It prevents programs like Autosub from downloading the correct subtitle, or in some cases any subtitle at all.

In general I don’t download WEBRips to avoid this problem (using an Restriction). But when there is no choice, I download the episodes manually. I then have to go into the TV series folder and manually rename the files to get the correct subtitles.

Is it really that much trouble to include WEBRip as a separate source (which it is), instead of renaming it incorrectly to WEBDL?

2 Likes

I agree, WEBRip should be a seperate Source. Right now I also have to implement a filter that excludes WEBRip and manually download episodes that have WebRip as the only source. Just like I believe we should have a differentiator for x264 and x265. My filters look as follows right now:
Must Contain x264 h264 264
Must Not Contain x265 h265 h.265 webrip web-rip web.rip remux dual HEBSUB NLSUBS NLSUB KORSUB SUBBED NL.SUB Multi
This avoids must of the bad scenarios

For some shows I skip all WEB sources in general (seperate Profile), since the HDTV.1080p is “always” superior. For example HBO shows.

Completely agree here, WEBrip and WEB-DL is definitely not the same and should also not be grabbed as so. Please change this Sonarr team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never understood why Sonarr sees WEB-DL and WEBRip as one,
they are 2 complete different things.
Especially when you’re looking for subs the timing is complete different.

I have similar filters in place to Thaek. But again, Webrips are a re-encode, they depend on several factors to be offered in pristine quality. As far as smooth playback is concerned they more often than not exhibit stutters here and there (probably related to the quality of the original stream), whereas with WEB-DL everything is always butter smooth.

To each his own, I guess, but they are very different beasts.

All Webrips are not equal. I didn’t say anything about their bitrate, and I clearly specified the source. Maybe you should look at what’s out there instead of assuming. I’ve been grabbing Amazon Webrips for quite a while now (not just TV episodes, but fantastic looking rips of movies not out on Blu-ray also). Absolutely zero problems with stuttering or playback or any of the nonsense that you were again assuming must exist based on your experience.

Free streams from most of the network look like crap. Hulu is occasionally underwhelming, too. They’re also not widely available in the wild for that reason. Don’t lump them in with Amazon and Netflix just because of your clearly limited anecdotal evidence.

It’s pretty sad that Amazon streams in much higher quality than what you can purchase from iTunes. Apple led the way with high-quality streaming music years ago when they doubled the bitrate of songs they offered. They seriously need to step up their game with video now. It’s embarrassing how crappy they look by comparison. But at least they are always butter smooth lmao

Hi Frito. I don’t understand why you felt the need to be so confrontational in your reply.

What should I base my opinion on if not on what I’ve watched. I’ve watched webrips, I’ve watched web-dl. The former sometimes had stuttering problems, the latter never. I’m not talking about constant stuttering, I’m talking about a missed frame once in a while. Having a perfectly configured playback system, with madVR reporting no frames skipped/duplicated in days I care about this.

You might feel differently and it’s all good, no need to be aggressive.

My point remains. Aren’t Webrips a reencode of what is being streamed by Amazon/Netflix/whatever and not a straight download? It’s a question, I might have things wrong or things might have changed recently. Please, let’s discuss this in a civil way. Thanks.

True of Netflix and Hulu, but not of Amazon. You might have noticed a boom in AMZN availability over the last couple of months, that was because a new method of direct-downloading became available. However they have since started moving their series over to a new distribution platform which you can’t do that with (until somebody cracks it). So the content will eventually reduce to 0 which can be direct downloaded.

The way I treat it is AMZN > iTunes > Hulu/Netflix and I use tags to sort out what comes from where. I do not ever use “Must Contain” though (besides my P2P tag to avoid Scene releases), as that then messes up BluRay upgrades.

My prob is I don’t mind WEBRips as long as they meet the minimum size setting in WEB-DL but there is one show I get which only comes in WEBRip and Sonarr misses it because it’s below the minimum size so the only option is to do it manually.

Thanks a lot Silent for the explanation! Yes, I was wondering about the recent upsurge of AMZN stuff. Now I understand. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Still i would like to see a seperate quality profile for WEBRips,
they are 2 complete different things.

Have been using the ignore/prefered words,
but latetly more often it just doesn’t work like it should !

We got a quaility profile for UNKNOWN,
Why they could be set under any SD/DVD Quality profile they are the same SD quality ?

Why is it so hard to just add a extra seperate quality profile for WEBRips?
Especially because they aren’t the same things

Yes, Webrip and Web-DL are different. The quality can be different but also the timeing. And the last is much more important for people who use subtitles. When Webrip is called Web-DL the subs often won’t sync. Now I have to use al kind of external programs and scripts to find the correct subs. Simply checking is WEB is in te tile can give me the wrong ones

It would also be nice to have them separated because groups are now going back and releasing full older seasons of shows from Amazon, and they blow away the iTunes WEB-DLs, especially the ones from back when Apple really sucked. They suck a little less now lol

A separate category would allow me to include AMZN WEBRIP in the filename. I still haven’t figured out if there’s a way to do this currently with the renaming options. As a temporary fix, I’ve included the MediaInfo so I can differentiate AMZN (EAC3 audio) from iTunes (AC3 audio), but that’s really ugly.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.