V3 docker image weirdness

something is off with the lsiodev/sonarr-preview docker image

i mentioned before that sonarr doesnt shut down it just restarts (not overly fussed), but whats way worse is that its destroying any saved data between container stop/starts so you cannot upgrade to a new release from within sonarr as it always reverts back to the base image at the next container start

i thought they may have somehow forced a --rm on the container creation as none of my other containers do this, specifically the linuxserver/sonarr image does not do it with the master or develop branches - i can do an internal sonarr upgrade, stop and start the container as many times as i like and it remains at whatever version i last installed

i tried setting --rm=false during container creation, same thing though it reverts to 3.0.0.348 every single time its started so its more like the image copies/reinstalls the sonarr code at every startup

seeing as the linuxserver/sonarr image works properly is there any way to shift that over to the phantom or phantom-develop branch? i tried the obvious of setting those in the updates branch value but 2.0.0.5252 doesnt see any upgrades for phantom-develop and oddly only sees a downgrade to 2.0.0.4991 for phantom when you do that

after digging around in the container its this file /run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/30-config (or /etc/cont-init.d/30-config - theyre identical), called from /init then /etc/s6/init/init-stage2, thats doing it

it always pulls down the latest phantom branch at every container start, not really sure why, i would expect a proper image would check if it already had a version first, and only download if nothing was there. maybe its a developer thing

anyway, to work around that and make it work normally, start the container so it pulls down the sonarr code then do the following from the docker host

docker exec -it sonarr3 bash
echo '#!/usr/bin/with-contenv bash' > /run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/30-config
exit

change sonarr3 to whatever your container is named, or its id. that will clear out the reinstall file so it wont update every start and youll just keep whatever branch and version you upgrade to within sonarr

if you want to go back then just recreate the container. it will revert back to the latest phantom release and youll need to repeat those steps to stop it from auto installing again

someone might want to recode that file so it only installs if the directory doesnt exist.

This is only for the alpha, the actual v3 image won’t redownload on every launch.

@markus101, what about the part of the OP regarding phantom over phantom-develop? I’ve been looking for more information about these branches, considering there have been fixes that have gone into develop and phantom-develop that haven’t made it into phantom, but haven’t found any discussion about them. I’m currently using phantom-develop, as I wanted those fixes, but it would be great not to have to build my own images.

P.S. I’ve been on v3 for awhile and OMG I FREAKING LOVE IT! The new UI is not only beautiful, but the additional functionality is… sniffles sorry, I promised I wouldn’t get emotional… but it’s incrediballs. As a user, it makes me feel like you really do love me :heart:

just use the lsiodev/sonarr-preview image start it up and run those commands from my second post, set the branch in sonarr to phantom-develop, install any upgrades when it says theyre available.

phantom is what master is for v2.
phantom-develop is what develop is for v2.

Basically allows us to stage releases in the same way we will once v3 replaces v2.

1 Like

That’s what I figured, I just wanted to confirm I hadn’t started running something super crazy :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.