Use FFmpeg to generate missing episode images

Hi guys, Got fedup with tvdb.com not having images for aired episodes…so decided to fix it.
I’m new to coding so please forgive if I appear very stupid:slight_smile:
I’ve spent past days trying to get sonarr to run post processing script which would use FFmpeg to generate a poster for the episode.

I can use a batch D:/Image.bat file to make ffmpeg generate the required image using the following command in batch file:

ffmpeg -ss 100 -i c:/test/mytest_episode_file.mkv -vf "scale='if(gt(dar,400/225),225*dar,400)':'if(gt(dar,400/225),225,400/dar)',setsar=1,crop=400:225"  -frames:v 1 c:/test/mytest_episode_file.jpg

This will generate the image for the episode perfectly.

So now I am trying to get Sonarr to pass the “%Sonarr_EpisodeFile_Path%” to the batch file, without success:(
I thought following would work:

Set File="%Sonarr_EpisodeFile_Path%"

ffmpeg -ss 100 -i %File% -vf "scale='if(gt(dar,400/225),225*dar,400)':'if(gt(dar,400/225),225,400/dar)',setsar=1,crop=400:225"  -frames:v 1 %File%.jpg

In sonarr, connect - custom script.
Path: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
Arguments: /c D:\Image.bat

Im sure many people would appreciate such an addon for the community as many eps dont have images for 3-4days after airing.

Thanks to anyone for your help.

Anyone can help me please?

You posted in Third Party Add-ons, if you need assistance you should post in help and support.

All environment variables that Sonarr passes the script are lower-case, but it looks like you’re capitalizing each word.

I changed above too:

Still not working:(

Is %File% set properly? Have you tried logging those variables?

Thanks for the reply Markus:smile:
Im still trying to get it to work but so far Ive manged to nearly complete it with following code:
I’ve install ffmpeg for python here [https://github.com/kkroening/ffmpeg-python]
(https://github.com/kkroening/ffmpeg-python)

#!/usr/bin/python
import os
import sys
import shutil
import subprocess
import shlex 
import os.path
import pipes
import ffmpeg

inputFile = os.environ.get('Sonarr_EpisodeFile_Path')

newone = (os.path.splitext(inputFile)[0])
newimage = ''.join([newone , '-thumb.jpg '])
outputFile = newimage

in_stream = ffmpeg.input('inputFile')
video_stream = in_stream  # automatically equivalent to in_stream.video()
video_stream = ffmpeg.filter_(video_stream, '-ss', '00:15:00', '-i',)
video_stream = ffmpeg.filter_(video_stream, '-vframes', '1', '-q:v', '2')
out_stream = ffmpeg.output(out_stream, 'outputFile')
ffmpeg.run(out_stream)

So this get the full path of the
inputFile from Sonarr_EpisodeFile_Path,

which looks like:

D:\Rebuild\Done\Series Source\Looming Tower, The\Season 1\The.Looming.Tower.S01E01.WEBDL-720p.Proper.h264.EAC3-NTb.mkv

Then it removes the extension making newone like:

D:\Rebuild\Done\Series Source\Looming Tower, The\Season 1\The.Looming.Tower.S01E01.WEBDL-720p.Proper.h264.EAC3-NTb

Then I want to add “-thumbs.jpg” to the end of that filepath and endup with outputFile which is:

D:\Rebuild\Done\Series Source\Looming Tower, The\Season 1\The.Looming.Tower.S01E01.WEBDL-720p.Proper.h264.EAC3-NTb-thumbs.jpg

Then ffmegp is fired with the inputfile & outputFile
It all appears to work until outputting the file, where it failes. in sonarr logs is says:

|Component|Message|Time|
|---|---|---|
|python.exe|NameError: name 'out_stream' is not defined|14:49|
|python.exe|out_stream = ffmpeg.output(out_stream, 'outputFile')|14:49|
|python.exe|File "D:\Scripts\Testing\ffmpeg2.py", line 42, in <module>|14:49|
|python.exe|Traceback (most recent call last):|14:49|

the line: |python.exe|File “D:\Scripts\Testing\ffmpeg2.py”, line 42, in related to following line:

out_stream = ffmpeg.output(out_stream, ‘outputFile’)

implying its outputfile problem??

Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

No, it’s saying you’re trying to use out_stream, but it’s not yet defined, which is true because you’re trying to define it on the same line you’re trying to use it.

Wow thanks for speedy reply marcus:) been pulling my hair out here. but isnt this outputFile already definded top of script

“newimage = ‘’.join([newone , '-thumb.jpg '])
outputFile = newimage”

Umm, outputFile isn’t the problem… please re-read my last reply.

Anyways, this isn’t a problem with Sonarr, this is a problem with the code you’re writing and not something we support here.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.