TMDB as Metadata Source

With the recent policy changes for TVDB, it seems like many people are not happy with them. Also, I think TMDB has better information for many recent shows and possibly even some older shows.
This is a feature request to add support for TMDB as the metadata source by adding an option or replacing TVDB entirely. Can anyone from the Sonarr team comment here if there is any ongoing work to add TMDB or plans to? I am willing to contribute or start working on it myself.
(What prompted me to do this is TVDB did not have One Piece episode 1071, and so sonarr didn’t get the new episode when it was released)

7 Likes

https://forums.sonarr.tv/search?q=tmdb

You would thing with that kind of push back devs would of at least added TMDB as a choice.

2 Likes

Can’t agree more, some animes in TVDB got totally messed up, wake up one day and seeing all torrents failing and structure destroyed is not a happy thing.

2 Likes

tvdb is completely wrong:

https://thetvdb.com/series/valami-amerika/seasons/official/1

tvdb missing episodes, the show name on it is in English and can not find upload with original language.

Just attempted to add a show yesterday that started yesterday and not to be found in Sonarr, but it’s in Trakt, Simkl, TVMaze, and others including TMDB.

Add it in thetvdb, and you can add it in sonarr.

And as we ALL know when TheTVDB finishes their new engine members will have to pay to add content. I for one will not be paying them for work I do.

1 Like

I would like to second this request as a opposition to use TMDB
I use TMDB on both my Kodi installs so it would nice for Sonar to match up i only use Sonar i my Nas drive Kodi only runs when i use other Pc,s
I only use TVDB in Kodi for some shows that i cant find on TMDB or i need the DVD order but theses are far and few between
I have been using Sonar for 3 plus years love it but hate it as well because i can only use TVDB
Regards Fred.Flinstone

You are not even close to being the second one to want this. Try half their user base.

We could definitely do with the option as TVDb is awful and often plain wrong. The problem is correcting the mistakes others make on TVDb

2 Likes

Plex → Data from TMDB
Jellyfin → Data from TMDB
Trakt → Data from TMDB

Want to know why my media is messed up?
I have had no problems with sonarr using tvdb because the episodes more or less matched with tmdb and I could manually correct the ones which weren’t. But the new Doctor Who series pushed me over the edge. It’s a different series officially, and TMDB has it as a different series too. TVDB doesn’t, they have the episodes in the 2005 series. The media players will never recognize the episodes since they are not part of the old Doctor Who series.
TVDB’s forums have ceased to exist, and they never reply to the support tickets.

This is just the start. Good luck everyone!

Let’s be honest here TVDB is a pile of shit and is only going to get worse. As for Doctor Who it will be season 14 not a new series. You are confused cause season and series just like show and series mean the same thing. So in other words series 14 of the Doctor Who 2005 series is aka season 14 of the Doctor Who 2005 show.

We are going off-topic but maybe I believe the broadcaster more than IMDB when they it’s a different show altogether.

1 Like

you do realize the bottom one are the specials and nothing more, right?

Just gonna leave this here. Read the title of the video.
If you still choose not to believe it. It will all be clear once it starts airing.

1 Like

Still doesn’t prove a damn thing.

1 Like

This interview with the showrunner Russell T. Davies indicates that the new series is a reboot and they are resetting the numbering back to series 1 like they did when it returned in 2005.

Having said that it has always been the stated policy of the TVDB to align with IMDB since the site started several years ago. I don’t mind this policy as pretty much everything aligns with it and something needs to be considered as a baseline. It is safe to assume IMDB will be updated to reflect this reboot at some point and the TVDB will follow suit. Just need to be patient.

2 Likes

I like how you all keep beating the dead horse of alternate metadata sources like it’s as simple as changing the link from which sonarr pulls its information…

See my above post.