Stop Sonarr from upgrading 1080p WEB-DL to 5GB 1080p WEBrips

So here is what keeps happening as a timeline

720p HDTV
720p WEB-DL
1080p WEB-DL - 1.5GB to 2GB

I’m happy

Then some time will pass and all of a sudden Sonarr is downloading ten 1080p webrips that are 4-5GB each and some of them are capped poorly anyway. And unfortunately I can’t really reverse this easily as Sonarr deletes the old files.

I would love a feature to stop this. I do still want webrips if there is no WEB-DL available

If you don’t want downloads that big you’ll need to set the maximum limits accordingly. If you don’t want to upgrade from WEB-DL 720p releases to 1080p releases start the cutoff to WEB-DL 720p.

The issue is that I do want downloads that big but only for the appropriate shows that release in webrip format normally such as Amazon shows, Netflix shows etc.

What I’m trying to avoid is when Netflix/Amazon pick up a show weeks later, someone rips it and then Sonarr will start downloading these 5GB files when I already have the 1080p WEB-DL.

Also I do want to upgrade from WEB-DL 720p to WEB-DL 1080p, but I don’t want to upgrade from WEB-DL 1080p to Webrip 1080p.

As you can see I don’t believe there is a solution.

Sonarr won’t upgrade from WEB-DL 1080p to Webrip 2080p as they are the same quality. The only way it could do that is if the previous file was deleted (now missing) or a proper/repack was found.

If there are shows you never want to upgrade to Webrip for use a release restriction to ignore that word and use a tag to apply it to those series.

It seems you are right, I can’t look into the history to check but the one that Sonarr did yesterday converted 1080p HDTV to 1080p Webrip… so that is what I wanted.

But I was so sure of this happening in the past and yesterday just prompted me to post here.

I’ll keep an eye on it and use release restriction if needed, thanks!

The size limits in Sonarr are greatly flawed. In a perfect world you should be able to adjust the minimum and maximum sizes independently, which would solve this problem, instead they move on a sliding scale.

You’re better off doing away with size limits entirely and just relying on quality profiles.

Just untick webrip from the profile that is assigned to that show and it won’t download web rips, if some episodes don’t meet the criteria of web-dl then you’ll just have to do a manual search on the episode. Thats what I do. If you want quality to be consistent you will unfortunately have to put in the work and manual search for episodes sometimes.

Its the only way at the moment to make sure you don’t get 5GB files.

What do you mean? Minimum and maximum are separate.

Sorry I should have worded that differently. I meant when you move minimum or maximum sizes it changes it on a sliding scale for both 30 and 60 min episodes.

In the real world that doesn’t work, there will always be things it doesn’t download because of size limitations. And another example would be with x265 files, which are much smaller will be excluded due to size restrictions.

You should be able to set minimum and maximum sizes independently for both 30 and 60 min episodes.

Ever since i turned off size restrictions all together and rely on profiles Sonarr works much much better.

But you don’t want x265 releases, they are all terrible right now.

What is wrong with x265? If i download something in x265 i encode it out to x264 with no issue and there is certainly nothing wrong with the file itself.

Having size limitations does not work consistently, no matter how you try and do it there will always be some files that don’t meet the size criteria and you will have to download manually. I spent years tweaking the sizes to see if I could avoid manual searches and it resulted in me disabling it entirely and there you go, it works.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.