Sonarr Started Deleting EVERYTHING

Sonarr version (exact version):
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
Debian
Description of issue:

Backed up Sonarr because I needed to migrate it to a different server.

Cloned a new Docker instance of Sonarr, shutdown old one, started new one, and restored from BackUp.

(Doing this in preparation for migrating to a new Host Machine)

Nothing else has changed. All file paths and locations are exactly the same. Its just a clone with exact settings/configs.

Clicked ā€œUpdate Allā€ in Sonarr WebGUI

Sonarr began deleting EVERY folder in the /tv directory in alphabetical order!

I know it was Sonarr, as it was actively sending me notifications of itself deleting the filesā€¦

I immediately shutdown. Rebooted it, and it has yet to try deleting everything againā€¦ but now I am terrified of clicking ā€œUpdate Allā€ā€¦

I did not have logging turned on to debug when it happened, but have since turned it on incase it happens againā€¦ will post it if it happens againā€¦

Welp, let it run over nightā€¦ It deleted everyā€¦ singleā€¦ fileā€¦ that sonarr had access tooā€¦ so much for ā€˜sonarr doesnā€™t touch thingsā€™ as seen on other postsā€¦ 10TB of files, just goneā€¦

Is your instance exposed to the internet, do you have logs, etcā€¦

Sonarr doesnā€™t touch things, unless it is told to.

Likely cause will be the same as in all other cases, you had it exposed to the internet and unsecured and you got port scanned and script kiddied. V4 is enabling authentication by default to try and help mitigate these occurrences.

None of which are the case.

What appears to be happening, is that it is not seeing any meta data for the files, and thus think the directories are empty and removes it from the databaseā€¦

2023-01-15 06:52:38.7|Debug|EpisodeService|Detaching episode 489 from file.
2023-01-15 06:52:38.8|Debug|NotificationService|No tags set for this notification.
2023-01-15 06:52:38.8|Debug|PlexServer|Scheduling library update for series 25 So I'm a Spider, So What?
2023-01-15 06:52:38.8|Debug|NotificationService|No tags set for this notification.
2023-01-15 06:52:39.2|Debug|SubtitleFileService|Deleting Extra from database for episode file: [299] Season 1/S01E09 - So I'm a Spider, So What! - I Can't Speak, Isekaigo - 009.mkv
2023-01-15 06:52:39.2|Debug|OtherExtraFileService|Deleting Extra from database for episode file: [299] Season 1/S01E09 - So I'm a Spider, So What! - I Can't Speak, Isekaigo - 009.mkv
2023-01-15 06:52:39.2|Debug|MetadataFileService|Deleting Extra from database for episode file: [299] Season 1/S01E09 - So I'm a Spider, So What! - I Can't Speak, Isekaigo - 009.mkv
2023-01-15 06:52:39.2|Debug|MediaFileTableCleanupService|File [/tv/(2021) - So I'm a Spider, So What!/Season 1/S01E10 - So I'm a Spider, So What! - Who Is This, Geezer - 010.mkv] no longer exists on disk, removing from db

And for reference, the files themselves are stored on a completely different server, behind a firewall which only, and I mean ā€œonlyā€ lets three IPs throughā€¦ The old instance, the new instance, and my own PC. However the PC connection is only turned on when needed to inspect the files, and is never left onā€¦ So unless someone managed to figure out how to bypass the firewall from a very specific machine, figure out a 128bit random password, and somehow assign their own permissions onto the datasetā€¦ I donā€™t think it would be some script kiddie. Nothing is showing in firewall logs of the traversal, and Iā€™m not seeing anything in the logs about another device having accessed the datasetā€¦

By bet is most likely a permissions issueā€¦ old instance of sonarr is locked onto the dataset, and thus wonā€™t allow the new instance to have read access yet somehow still have write access. So it sees an empty location, goes ā€˜oh well those files arenā€™t hereā€¦ guess iā€™ll remove it from the DBā€™ and then in doing so removes it from the list, which somehow triggers an erasure.

Yup, looks like if you have two Sonarrs using the same mapped user to read data on a remote storage device, and they both try to scan at the same time, one seemingly locks the folder that it is scanning, and if the other instance tries to scan that locked folder, it nukes it. Creating a second mapped user, and changing the IDs for the container to use the other account, seems to have fixed the issue. Both instances can scan the same folder at the same time without any files being deleted.

ā€œI have two sonarr instances trying to manage the same root folderā€ would have been interesting to share from the start. Thatā€™s not supported, see Sonarr Installation | WikiArr

1 Like

My apologies, I had figured that the description of ā€œclonedā€ had conveyed that they would be. As well as ā€œall file paths and locations are the sameā€.

Only had just noticed that both instances were running together even tho I had shut the old instance off prior. I had to reboot the server to pass through some pci devices, and accidentally left the ā€œstart on startupā€ checked within the VE. Which caused both instances to be running at the same time.

Still a weird thing to happen for something that isnā€™t supposed to touch files tho. :thinking:

Ah, so it wasnā€™t intentional, no problem and sorry for your (data)loss.
I have seen people here with the weirdest setups, mostly trying to make sonarr do something it wasnā€™t designed to do and/or say sonarr deleted their files, and then donā€™t provide crucial information :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.