Sonarr search should properly handle (Year) in release title

I just sent in a whole bunch of scene naming exceptions, and the reviewer noted on the request:

Please use one of the support channels to discuss why this is needed

What I requested were aliases such as:

The Blacklist (2013) : The Blacklist
Billions (2016) : Billions
Star Trek Picard (2020) : Star Trek Picard
South Park (1997) : South Park

Why did I request these naming exceptions? Because many popular scene releasers (nearly every x265 releaser), such as Vyndros, QxR and UTR, include years in their titles. However, Sonarr does not know how to handle years in release titles.

For instance, if I found the following release:

The Good Doctor (2017) S05E09 (1080p AMZN WEB-DL x265 HEVC 10bit DDP 5.1 Vyndros)

Sonarr would not understand or find this release. If the (Year) was not there, it would find it perfectly fine, most likely. So either Sonarr should figure out a way to handle this discrepancy, or scene name exceptions would need to be added for every series.

1 Like

No plans to ever add this feature…it would cause nothing but problems. That is why the scene naming exceptions exist. Implementing this would mean you’d have a ton of issues with series that were rebooted or series that occur in the same year where one does have the year per TVDb rules compared to the first series for that year that does not have the rules.

Edit: corrected by markus below, this already exists; the issue is the tracker’s/indexer’s searching as the year handling already exists

The release groups are not following the standard names for the series that’s on them…so as you submitted they will need scene mapping exceptions.

Feature Request are not a support channel.

Except this feature already exists.

The issue here is we don’t want to add hundreds or thousands of aliases when this could be a problem.

Yes, but that is exceedingly rare (there is that one series I’m trying to hunt down that did that, but the name is escaping me), but if that somehow made it through to the series + year lookup we could also solve that outlier with a special alias since an alias overrides all other matching.

The only advantage of setting up hundreds of aliases would be for searching and I’m okay not adding that support for title searching when an indexer can’t do ID or partial title matching.

South Park currently has zero aliases, I found this release name: South.Park.(1997).S25E03.City.People.(1080p.HMAX.Webrip.x265.10bit.AC3.5.1.-.Goki)[TAoE] and ran it through Sonarr’s parser (via the API) and Sonarr correctly parsed it and returned South Park as the series.

I also tried a search against the indexer I found that release on, but that result was not returned, this is because the indexer didn’t have that release linked to the South Park series so the ID search didn’t include it and the title search was skipped because the ID search returned valid results.

The same parsing logic should hold true for all these series, but I imagine the same search issues will also be present but that is an indexer issue, not a Sonarr issue.

1 Like

I am using Jackett to parse RARBG and 1337x. Any ideas on how I would fix this?

There’s nothing you can do as those shit-tier public trackers do not support any id searching and apparently fail to match the searched terms w/o the year as matching results to be returned.

You’d need to do all your searching and grabbing manually. Add it to your download client in Sonarr’s category and Sonarr should be able to handle it from there.

Hmm… well then is there a way I can manually change what a series searches for? So I can have it automatically search with the correct titles I need for it?

In fact… how can I even see what Sonarr is querying?

If I head into Jacket, and test the search, and search directly for Star Trek Picard S02E03, then everything shows up properly. Including releases from Vyndros which have (2020) in the title. There are a total of 19 results.

But when I search in Sonarr, it ends up having far less results. It only has 10 results, and it’s missing the one I want.

No you cannot change what sonarr searches for

https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/troubleshooting#searches-indexers-and-trackers

And you can see exactly what Sonarr sends to jackett

Your question for Jackett returning more results is also on the FAQ - namely you’re not searching how sonarr is

https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/faq#jackett-shows-more-results-than-sonarr-when-manually-searching

its alluded to in markus’s reply - sonarr searches on the series id first, if there are no results then it shifts to a name search.

the downside is that if the indexer youre using tries to be good but doesnt tag all the uploads for a series with that series id, only some of them, then sonarr will only see the ones that are tagged, it wont fall back to a name search to find the rest (it presumes that if tagging is being done then everything will be tagged).

ie, the indexer would be better off not tagging anything and just relying on name searches if they cant do a proper job of it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.