Sonarr renaming files on import

Sonarr version (exact version): 4.0.0.748
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
Debug logs: Pastebin.com
Description of issue:

When Sonarr is moving (importing) files from my sabnzbd download folder (Watch Folder) into its own series folders, it seems to automatically rename the file(s), e.g. an .mkv filename would be renamed from its originally downloaded filename to a name based on the originally downloaded folder name instead (for instance, the embedded episode name in a p2p filename gets removed/lost).

“Rename Episodes” under Media Management is NOT set. This also used to happen under v3.

Any advice on why this might be happening?

Thanks

Debug logs?

well it doesn’t say much more than this:

2024-01-11 20:11:11.9|Warn|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|RAR file detected, will require manual cleanup

but that’s more to do with the fact that I don’t auto-delete files in my DL folder, not to do with import renaming

so I’ll probably need to crank up log level and dig more

ok I added Debug logs in original post

Pastebin.com

as can be seen, esp. here

2024-01-12 19:19:27.5|Debug|EpisodeFileMovingService|Moving episode file: D:\Data\Downloads\SABnzbd\complete\For.All.Mankind.S04E10.720p.ATVP.WEB-DL.DDPA5.1.H.264-NTb\For.All.Mankind.S04E10.Perestroika.720p.ATVP.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb.mkv to D:\Data\Downloads\_Sonarr\For All Mankind\For.All.Mankind.S04E10.720p.ATVP.WEB-DL.DDPA5.1.H.264-NTb.mkv

the file is moved AND renamed WITHOUT the episode title

can no-one explain why these filenames are being changed?

When renaming is disabled Sonarr could use the original folder name or filename, if you always want to use the file name, enable renaming and use {Original Filename}.

ok will try that out - thanks

so… if renaming is disabled you say it “could” use the original folder name OR filename. what exactly makes it decide to use one over the other in that case?

cheers for the helpful info

FOLLOWUP:
I guess the answer about that decision is given here:
https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/settings#episode-naming

my remaining question now would be: if we enable renaming and change the default/built-in episode formats, is there some way to revert to the default formats in future??

If you change the rename format, you can tell sonarr to rename again, either from the series page (preview rename button at the top, or for individual seasons) or series list (select series and at the bottom the rename and other mass options become available) for multiple series.

As long as sonarr has the file history it should be able to go back to the original name I think…

sorry, I meant if you change the format syntax (e.g. to {Original Filename}), can you revert the syntax back to the built-in/original syntax default in future

i.e., even if you didn’t note that it was
{Series Title} - S{season:00}E{episode:00} - {Episode Title} {Quality Full}
before you changed it, can you revert to that “default” later?
(and if the default changes in a future release of sonarr, can you revert to whatever the new default syntax is?)

Ah, gotcha! I don’t think there’s a way to reset those settings.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.