Sonarr rarely finds my shows on usenet, even though they *are* on usenet. Finds torrents just fine! Please help

Hello all I first would like to say that I apologize if this is long. Secondly, I would like to say how wonderful Sonarr is (I have been using it since it was called by its other name). However, I have had a long-standing problem that I would appreciate some help on, since I really want to stop using torrents unless absolutely 100% necessary (as in the show is not on usenet and never will be).

I will give you an example of a show: Modern Family. I just tried the latest episode: Modern Family - 8x22 - The Graduates

I click on the episode in my Sonarr calendar and when I click “manual search”, I get 8 hits and they are all torrents on rarbg.

However, I have 3 different usenet indexers set up: nzb.is, usenet-crawler.com, and nzbplanet.net. I know they are all configured properly because sabnzbd is showing me that Sonarr downloads Conan O’Brien without issue. Not to mention that I clicked “test” all 3 usenet indexers in Sonarr and they all pass.

So anyway, back to that episode of Modern Family: I search those 3 indexers by going to their website and searching and they all have the episode! Multiple copies in various formats, too! I downloaded 3 of them at random just to see if any were BS uploads with rar passwords or fake video files and nope, they all worked. So I really cannot figure out why Sonarr will only find torrents of the show when I click manual search? Yet I am seeing in sabnzbd that Sonarr used usenet to download Conan O’Brien and 60 Days in without issue?

I know it’s not because I reached some sort of search limit, because the test would fail if that were the case.

I am trying to get completely off of torrents and would really appreciate any help anyone can give. I have searched this issue for months and months (since the time Sonarr went by a different name) to no avail. I have messed with every profile setting and quality definition I could imagine to no avail. I added the category 5000 to my indexers and countless other things in an attempt to fix this but it never fails: Sonarr chooses torrents ~95% of the time because it can’t seem to find stuff that I know is on usenet.

I really want off torrents so any help would be really, really appreciated!

Have you tested usenet-crawler.com? As far as I know it’s currently not working. The other 2 are working and I have been using them and they work great in Sonarr.

Do you test them and does Sonarr say it connected? Do you have YOUR API entered? Generally you go into your profile and it’ll show it there. It’s not one everyone would be using. I’ve only use Usenet for years and Sonarr picks them up fast. As soon as the file start showing up around usenet.

Hi thanks for the reply; yes, as I mentioned in my original post, all 3 indexers pass the test.

Strange, Sonarr finds things FAST for me. Rarely can it not find anything. Give me a example of what you’re looking for and we can go from there. Have you tried to do a manual search in Sonarr of one of the files to see if it shows up that way?

Impractical Jokers. Modern Family. Basically everything except Conan and 60 Days In

You shouldn’t have any issue with a popular show like Modern Family. 60 Days in, is something I’m getting and Sonarr has no trouble grabbing those episodes for me.

Did you try doing a manual search in Sonarr and see if you get any results that way. See if it actually finds anything and if it does, then it’s a issue with downloading what it finds. Or does it just find nothing?

So I just added Modern Family, doing a search for S08E22, let see how many it finds for me. Ok, I’m getting 88 listings currently for that episode!!! 27 of those listings are from Usenet Crawler and NZBPlanet. I even have 3 from nzb.is, though on the lower quality end.

I did stop using sabnzbd a couple years ago. I have since moved on to NZBGet which I like a lot better. Works great with Sonarr and Radarr. I almost NEVER use Torrents. Usenet is almost always better. I can find most anything much faster and in better quality and download speed is miles faster.

There;s only 3 settings you should touch in Sonarr for your Indexer, Name, which you can call your NZB Indexers anything you want. The URL which for what you have, should look like this, https://www.usenet-crawler.com make sure that s is there as it’s encrypted. Then your API Key. That’s it!! You shouldn’t have to touch anything else. Categories should show 5030,5040. Nothing else. I would also turn off the Rarbg search, any torrent search index’s. Then in the Profile settings on the very bottom, Set it to use Usenet ONLY.

Something on your end is just not right.

Hmm. Do you pay for your Usenet Indexer? If not, which one do you use?

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply, by the way.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.