Sonarr/radarr folder not writable by user abc

Hello Everyone,

I’m testing sonarr/radarr inside a docker container ( latest version) running ubuntu server 21.10
Sonarr version : 3.0.7.1477

I’m having this “folder is not writable by user abc” error. I chmodded the entire folder ( /home )and gave full permission for all users, yet sonarr and radarr both refuse to even read the content of my /home/enfinders/docker folder.

my docker run comand
docker run -d
–name=sonarr
-e PUID=1000
-e PGID=1000
-e TZ=america/new_york
-p 8989:8989
-v /home/enfinders/docker/tv:/tv
-v /home/enfinders/docker/downloads:/downloads
–restart unless-stopped
linuxserver/sonarr

docker run -d
–name=radarr
-e PUID=1000
-e PGID=1000
-e TZ=america/new_york
-p 7878:7878
-v /home/enfinders/docker/movies:/movies
-v /home/enfinders/docker/downloads:/downloads
–restart unless-stopped
linuxserver/radarr

Also checked to user id, both are 1000.
I did run a id abc command inside the container and it returned the following
uid=1000(abc) gid=1000(abc) groups=1000(abc),100(users)

folder permission
ls -la /home
total 12
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Apr 17 17:27 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Apr 17 17:26 …
drwxrwxrwx 5 enfinders enfinders 4096 Apr 18 07:55 enfinders

What am I missing? It’s my first time trying docker and both sonarr / radarr. Did anyone deal with this before?

Your home folder being 777 is stupidly insecure will cause issues and is equivalent to removing your entire front door because you didn’t want to deal with a lock.

Your setup means all seeding torrents will use double space and all imports will be slow IO intensive copies.

You’ve provided no info on as to the permissions as to the download and tv/movie folders.

See the docker guide and completely redo your setup

Home directories absolutely should never be 777 and you’re probably better off nuking the entire install and starting fresh since who knows what else you broke blindly changing permissions

https://wiki.servarr.com/docker-guide

permissions for the tv folder is the same as for every other folder under /home/enfinders/docker
drwxrwsrwx 2 root root 4096 Apr 18 08:03 /home/enfinders/docker/movies

I know I shouldn’t do that to the home folder, it was a last resort. The whole server is running on a VM, as I’m testing everything before installing it on a physical machine.

I just don’t understand, jellyfin is running just fine and sees all the directories, no changing permissions needed.

Any particular reason you didn’t bother reading the linked docker guide?

drwxrwsrwx 2 root root 4096 Apr 18 08:03 /home/enfinders/docker/movies

Well there’s your problem. why does root own the folders in your home directory.

How do you expect Radarr and Sonarr running as enfinders to access folders owned by root?

You do not meet the required prerequisites so radarr and sonarr will never work.

I just don’t understand, jellyfin is running just fine and sees all the directories, no changing permissions needed.

Jellyfin has no relevance whatsoever and only needs to be able to read files which with 777/666 removing all permissions works fine.

It seems you blindly set this up and just 777/666 and root everything… blow it away and reinstall and don’t blindly run commands.

It seems you’ve never used linux, docker, nor *Arrs before…why not use an OS you know like windows rather than trying to learn brain surgery having never gone to med school? Otherwise you have to learn 3 very complicated, very complex things all at the same time which is a near impossible task for some people.

I had the same issue. The problem was the permissions. I could not change them either, it was stuck to root.

But my problem was the folder in question was a mounted NAS drive. I had to add the UID/GID to fstab.

//192.168.1.129/share /media/share/ cifs credentials=/home/pi/.smbcredentials,vers=3.0,uid=1000,gid=1000,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.