Sonarr picked torrent over usenet, when it shouldn't have

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.0.234 — Sep 13 2018 phantom
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 5.14.0.177
OS: unRAID - 6.5.3 - 2018-06-12, docker image: lsiodev/sonarr-preview - Docker Hub
Debug logs:
Description of issue:

Long story short:
I did an auto-search on an episode, and Sonarr picked a torrent release, when there was a usenet release available.

• there were many releases available, but with setup, only 2 were matching
    • 1 release was from torrents and 1 from usenet
  • my default Delay Profile is setup to Prefer Usenet with 720 minutes on Torrent Delay
    • release from usenet was 8.9 hours old
    • release from torrent was 11.6 hours old
  • as I understand - Sonarr should have picked usenet over torrent?

I only started using the v3 a couple of days ago and I use auto-search very seldom. Hence, I do not actually know if it’s v3 related issue or not. But as I am running v3, I decided to post this here.

With a new autum season starting shortly, and ~360 in my Sonarr, I would really like to find out why Sonarr has picked torrent over usenet here.

A screenshot of manual search results, with only 2 possible sonarr choices highlighted (only 2 are v2 - REPACKs). I made this screenshot after the episode was already downloaded, so do not mind the red dots on all releases:

Delays:

Tags used on this show:
2018-09-13_16-14-10__chrome 2018-09-13_16-14-23__chrome

Quality used on this show:

Edit.

I just had an idea.In v3 sonarr has separated WEB-DL and WEBRip qualities. And if I go into the new Quality Edit Groups options for this quality profile I have this:
2018-09-13_17-19-50__chrome

Is this why Sonarr picked torrent release over usenet? Because, even though it is the same release (I checked), usenet uploader incorrectly named it WEBRip.
So torrent is WEB-DL and usenet is WEBRip. If quality order inside the group is also important, that would explain this choice.

Is this the answer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Your diagnosis is correct.

For upgrades groups are equal to each other, but for grabbing the order in the group is relevant.

There have been tons and tons of usenet uploads where WEB-DL releases where incorrectly re-named as WEBRips. I have been verifying all my usenet downloads for a couple of years now. Scene releases - using srrdb, and p2p to original torrents (btn or hdbits). Hence, I can confidently say - there have been a shitload of renamed posts.
From my experience, this will happen in the future as well, because the number of these posts indicate there’s someone or rather multiple posters doing this. There’s either a problem with the posting script they’re using or some-such, no idea.

Separating WEBDL and WEBRip qualities is actually a very positive step forward. Though ironically, it seems, it’s gonna bite me on the ass, in this situation.

So, basically, what could I do to avoid this problem of having the usenet releases (re-named as WEBRips) not to be ignored?
Is there an option to somehow create a “special” Quality Profile where WEBDL and WEBRip would be treated the same, as before?

You could re-order WebRip over WEB-DL to work around it, but you could have the inverse issue as well.

We discussed that maybe a group should be entirely equal when we implemented the grouping of qualities, I was in the camp of what it is now, but rethinking that a bit since BTN likes to mess with release names (for the good and the bad it does).

A setting for it would be the most universal solution (per-profile if anything), but I’m not sure if it’s worth the complexity or the confusion to some people.

I’ll give it some thought.

Something like:

Could be helpful, if grouped items are the exact same you could prefer one over the other by adding some extra weight to it.

Doesn’t BTN have a policy that renaming/retagging is prohibited ?
Also being that the episodes are released there first/earlier over usenet it’s more that the files are being renamed/retagged when placed on usenet and the error lies there.

I personally dislike it when the files are renamed/retagged.

@markus101 @cryodream
Does it make a difference if you change the order ?
so place the webrip above the web-dl ?(in edit groups ?)

@markus101
Thnx for the option of separating the WEB-DL and the WEBRip

Not sure of the exact rule, but they prefer accuracy, so I’m not entirely surprised they’re doing this, albeit annoying.

It does, but there may be side effects.

IMHO, I was clear that the usenet posters are messing up and renaming the releases, not the other way around.
Methinks it obvious:

• When it comes to scene - srrdb is 'the authority" on correct scene releases info. That is why rescene was created in the first place.
  • When it comes to p2p - when I said original I meant internal releases. Who is a better source on the correct info, if not the original group that actually made the encodes?

Further more, srrdb and torrent trackers do have rules, quality control, moderation. And they can edit/fix the mistakes, if any. Usenet has none of that. Any idiot can post whatever he wants, renaming releases left and right. And there is no undo, or edit on usenet.

Anyway, I am not verifying usenet downloads because lots of them maybe re-named. I started doing that, when I noticed that many releases coming from usenet actually had f***ed up files.

Some time ago, people were using a posting script that intentionally screwed with the files. Which is freaking crazy. Author of the script said he changed/fixed it, when I talked to him about this. But even he himself admitted, that it’s usenet, and he has no control of who, or what version of the script people are using.
I do actually see the files that clearly have been posted with that script, even now. They have a distinct size difference to the original files.

Usenet is messed up nowadays.
In my experience - 1 out of 3 seasons will have episode files that wont hash. Don’t believe me - try verifying your usenet downloads and you’ll see…

That’s 1 of the reason why i nowadays prefer P2P releases over usenet,
In my opinion there’s only one decent scene group and that’s deflate and one of the most horrible will be -TBS for there low quality re-encodes with shitty audio.

I do actually, agree.
Only I prefer downloading from usenet way more, that using torrents. I mean downloading separate episodes during normal everyday usage.

I do believe in giving back, ie: seeding, even on the awesome ratio-less BTN. But I have almost 400 shows in Sonarr, of which almost 300 are active/continuing. With this many shows, I honestly do not know, if Transmission could cope with the number of downloads it would have handle.
And usenet is awesome for that.

What works best for me, is:

• Torrents are on delay profile in Sonarr and Radarr. This way most of the stuff comes from usenet.
  • When, and only when something on usenet is missing, sonarr would get it from torrents.
  • When the season is over, I verify:
    for scene season packs I use srrdb
    for p2p I use internal season pack torrents - this way I verify the p2p files and then I seed the packs

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.