Sonarr not marking existing 1920x1080 episodes as 1080p

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.4928
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 3.10.0
((Debug logs)):
(Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings and post the full log to hastebin/pastebin/dropbox/google drive or something similar, do not post them directly here)
Description of issue:

I have Sonarr set to grab episodes using a profile of “HD-1080p”. It grabs the episodes fine and then renames them using my preferred naming scheme “{Series Title} - S{season:00}E{episode:00} - {Episode Title}”. All fine. Once an episode is downloaded and renamed and moved to it’s final destination on the NAS, the status of that episode is correctly set to “HDTV-1080p”. All fine up to now.

However, for some reason I had to click the little refresh icon and when it scanned the disk for files, it now marked them as “HDTV-720p”, when in fact the file is 1920x1080. Then I see Sonarr went crazy and started trying to upgrade that file to 1080p by downloading (and failing) multiple times.

Basically, my question is how can I get Sonarr to correctly mark the episode as it’s true quality if I do a refresh? (and hence avoid any unnecssary additional downloads)

Sonarr will only rescan files if it lost track of them, but currently does not take the file resolution into account when scanning existing files, whether it grabbed them or they were there from before.

We do recommend the quality be part of the file name to alleviate this issue as well as the issue of the source quality not being known, so a Bluray 720p release isn’t detected as HDTV 720p because Sonarr only knows the extension and the resolution (in the future).

Is there no way to build in functionality into Sonarr to maybe use mediainfo on the file to tag the episode with the correct quality?

I really do not want to include the quality in the filename. I’m using Plex’s recommended naming and I don’t want to have to change away from that if at all possible. Even in Plex itself, it shows the quality of the episode perfectly fine, so it’s digging a bit deeper to find out this info (not just looking at the filename).

Otherwise, it’s also not possible to manually change the quality for episodes under the “Status” column on the show’s page in Sonarr?

It is, there’s a episode edit button pretty close to it. But you first have to explain why sonarr lost track of the file, one possibility is that the filename was changed by an external process after Sonarr imported it. Coz if you can’t resolve that then it will simply happen again.

Sorry, I don’t quite follow.

In my case, Sonarr grabbed an episode that was 1080p (resolution from mediainfo is 1920x1080) and it was tagged correctly as HDTV-1080p. Sonarr lost track of the files because of the reason mentioned below and when I re-scanned the disk it tagged the file as HDTV-720p. How? Because, nothing about the file (name and actual resolution) is 720p.

If I remember correctly, my NAS share didn’t mount correctly on the raspberry pi (where Sonarr is running) so basically the location where it looks for the actual TV show files (i.e. /media/NAS) was empty.

So I had to manually mount it and then refresh Sonarr so it could see the files are actually there.

As already mentioned Sonarr relies on the filename, which in this case doesn’t include 1080p. Since Sonarr lost track of the file it was only able to use the filename on import.

That shouldn’t cause Sonarr to lose track of the files, since it won’t process a series folder if the folder is missing and the root folder is empty.

We have plans to use media info, but it won’t necessarily be the correct quality, just the correct resolution, Sonarr would still default the source to the lowest source in the resolution, which would work in your scenario, but will not work for bluray/webdl qualities. Including the quality in the filename would still be recommended.

Sorry, maybe I’m just slow but I still don’t see how Sonarr figures that the episode I have is 720p.

Since the filename doesn’t contain the quality, it falls back to the extension and .mkv = HDTV 720p.

Ah ok, I (kinda) see.

.mkv is just the container though, isn’t it? You could get .mkv videos which are 480p, 1080p, 4K etc.

I still feel that this is a limitation of sonarr that could be fixed/improved.

For example, with Sickbeard, which I used previously, rescanning a show folder, all episodes quality would be picked up fine and there too my naming scheme didn’t include the quality. I’m not sure how it did it but it was able to determine the quality of the episode file somehow.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.