Sonarr not grabbing finished episodes from Transmission

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.4949
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 5.2.0.224
((Debug logs)): https://pastebin.com/FQ8jZd1s
((Trace logs)): https://pastebin.com/UQ5HguhE
Description of issue:
I have added Transmission as a download client in Sonarr. The test works and torrents added to Transmission appear in the Activity tab. I can remove torrents from Transmission via the activity tab which suggests the connection works. Finished downloads, on the other hand, are not being grabbed by Sonarr. I get the message “Download wasn’t grabbed by Sonarr and not in a category, Skipping.”

I’ve looked at the debug and trace logs and the only thing that pops out to me is that isFinished is false which is incorrect. It might be important to note that the torrent was not fetched by transmission but was added manually. I don’t have a Category set on the download client for this very reason. I want Sonarr to be able to detect manual downloads and grab the episodes as necessary.

EDIT 1: isFinished was false because seeding had not completed. When I forced seeding to complete, isFinished turned to true but the episode still isn’t being grabbed.

EDIT 2: If the torrent was added by Sonarr then the episode will be grabbed properly so it’s an issue with manually adding torrents.

What does Sonarr show in Activity: Queue for those items? (Hover over the icon on the left).

The status is “Downloaded”.

Are there video files in the completed download directory?
Based on the logs everything looks alright, but I feel like we’re missing something.

Yes, there are but they are inside sub-folders related to the show/episode downloaded.

EDIT: If it helps I am able to manually import them from the same location.

Is something else sorting them and then Sonarr is supposed to sort them again? I’d expect those downloads to either be a single file or a folder in /Users/slevasseur/Downloads/Complete named the same as the torrent, though another user reported an issue with Vuze (similar API to transmission) where the file was named differently an that causes issues.

The folder and file name are identical. No other application should be modifying these files.

I have added some screenshots of a few things in case it might help.

NOTE: The episode in the screenshots is not the same as the one in the logs. The former episode was accidentally removed from Transmission so I restarted the process with something different and the same problem is occurring. What’s interesting with this show is that I have an RSS feed that automatically picked up episodes 2, 3, 4 and they were successfully imported by Sonarr. Episode 1 was added manually to Transmission and while Sonarr picked up on it (as per screenshots) it’s not importing it.

There you go:

Download wasn't grabbed by Sonarr and not in a category, skipping.

Sonarr does that to filter out things it doesn’t care about, either Sonarr needs to grab it, or it needs to be in the proper category (which for Transmission is really a sub folder of the download folder).

I didn’t add a category in the download client so I assumed it would pick up whatever is inside the Complete folder. If I were to add a category then I wouldn’t be able to manually download episodes unless I manually forced it to save in that category folder.

Is there a way to get the behavior I want? The drone factory folder from the past used to work well for this.

Correct, but then Sonarr would also try to process a movie or album or anything else without a category. Should just be a matter of adding the folder name when adding the torrent manually.

There is no way to force Sonarr to automatically process files that are not in a category.

That’d also break seeding though, since it’d move the files.

I’ve confirmed that using a category folder and putting manual downloads in there works as expected.

Thanks for the support.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.