Sonarr - Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.6.1342
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 5.2.1.34-18
Debug logs:
Description of issue:

I know something similar to this has been posted a lot. I did read several other post but couldn’t find the answer. It seems to be either a Paths error or Permissions error and I’m getting lost digging into the weeds of the details of the possible problems with each of those but I need help to first sort out of the problem is Paths or Permssions.

I’m running DSM 7.0.1 on a Syno DS920+. Installed Sonarr using Docker via these instructions (https://sonarr.tv/#download). I noted that a common pitfall is that the download client may report a different download path than the Sonarr container. That could very well be the issue but finding/changing Download Station and/or Sonarr’s path structure is a bit over my tech knowledge without some help.

My file structure is:
Volume 1/Torrents/Downloading
Volume 1/Torrents/Completed
Volume 1/TV Shows

Here’s the error message I am getting:

I said the issue may be Paths based on the error reported by “ArgumentValidator” and the error just above it regarding valid *nix paths and that “paths must start with a / Parameter name: path”

I’m not sure what user Sonarr is running as when intalled via Docker. I’ve tried turing on Read/Write for almost every user under Control Panel/Shared folder. The local users…

The System internal users permissions…

And the Local Groups permissions…

I probably have turned on a lot of permissions that aren’t required trying to fix the Sonarr problem so any feedback on what I can safely turn back off is additionally appreciated.

Here is the log file. Any help is greatly appreciated. I’ve tried on my own for literally hours now before finally throwing up my hands in frustration and asking for help so please be kind.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

It wouldn’t allow me to include the logs. Said they were too long. I searched them for “nix path” I think maybe there’s some useful info here for the tech savy.

2022-02-22 14:44:59.0|Warn|SonarrErrorPipeline|Invalid request Validation failed:
– : Unable to connect to indexer, check the log for more details
2022-02-22 14:46:00.2|Warn|ArgumentValidator|value [Media/Torrents/Downloading] is not a valid *nix path. paths must start with /
2022-02-22 14:46:00.2|Error|DownloadClientRootFolderCheck|Unknown error occured in DownloadClientRootFolderCheck HealthCheck

[v3.0.6.1342] System.ArgumentException: value [Media/Torrents/Downloading] is not a valid *nix path. paths must start with /
Parameter name: path
at NzbDrone.Common.EnsureThat.EnsureStringExtensions.IsValidPath (NzbDrone.Common.EnsureThat.Param1[T] param) [0x00050] in M:\BuildAgent\work\63739567f01dbcc2\src\NzbDrone.Common\EnsureThat\EnsureStringExtensions.cs:109 at NzbDrone.Common.Extensions.PathExtensions.CleanFilePath (System.String path) [0x00047] in M:\BuildAgent\work\63739567f01dbcc2\src\NzbDrone.Common\Extensions\PathExtensions.cs:33 at NzbDrone.Common.Extensions.PathExtensions.PathEquals (System.String firstPath, System.String secondPath, System.Nullable1[T] comparison) [0x00027] in M:\BuildAgent\work\63739567f01dbcc2\src\NzbDrone.Common\Extensions\PathExtensions.cs:58
at NzbDrone.Core.HealthCheck.Checks.DownloadClientRootFolderCheck+<>c__DisplayClass4_0.b__0 (NzbDrone.Core.RootFolders.RootFolder r) [0x00000] in M:\BuildAgent\work\63739567f01dbcc2\src\NzbDrone.Core\HealthCheck\Checks\DownloadClientRootFolderCheck.cs:48
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1[T] source, System.Func2[T,TResult] predicate) [0x0002c] in <798dd06330af4ca3886d7d2be5573af7>:0
at NzbDrone.Core.HealthCheck.Checks.DownloadClientRootFolderCheck.Check () [0x0005c] in M:\BuildAgent\work\63739567f01dbcc2\src\NzbDrone.Core\HealthCheck\Checks\DownloadClientRootFolderCheck.cs:48

2022-02-22 15:06:18.0|Info|NzbSearchService|Searching indexers for [The Expanse : S06E02]. 1 active indexers
2022-02-22 15:06:26.3|Info|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing 30 releases
2022-02-22 15:06:27.6|Info|DownloadService|Report sent to Download Station. The Expanse S06E02 1080p WEB H264 GLHF
2022-02-22 15:06:27.6|Info|EpisodeSearchService|Episode search completed. 1 reports downloaded.
2022-02-22 15:06:32.8|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Media/Torrents/Downloading/The.Expanse.S06E01.REAL.PROPER.1080p.WEB.H264-GGEZ[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder
2022-02-22 15:07:58.8|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Media/Torrents/Downloading/The.Expanse.S06E01.REAL.PROPER.1080p.WEB.H264-GGEZ[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder
2022-02-22 15:08:58.6|Info|RssSyncService|Starting RSS Sync
2022-02-22 15:08:58.7|Info|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing 30 releases
2022-02-22 15:08:58.8|Info|RssSyncService|RSS Sync Completed. Reports found: 30, Reports grabbed: 0
2022-02-22 15:09:28.8|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Media/Torrents/Downloading/The.Expanse.S06E01.REAL.PROPER.1080p.WEB.H264-GGEZ[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder
2022-02-22 15:10:58.9|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Media/Torrents/Downloading/The.Expanse.S06E01.REAL.PROPER.1080p.WEB.H264-GGEZ[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder
2022-02-22 15:12:29.0|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Media/Torrents/Downloading/The.Expanse.S06E01.REAL.PROPER.1080p.WEB.H264-GGEZ[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder
2022-02-22 15:12:29.0|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Media/Torrents/Downloading/The.Expanse.S06E02.1080p.WEB.H264-GLHF[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder
2022-02-22 15:13:58.9|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Media/Torrents/Downloading/The.Expanse.S06E01.REAL.PROPER.1080p.WEB.H264-GGEZ[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder
2022-02-22 15:13:58.9|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Media/Torrents/Downloading/The.Expanse.S06E02.1080p.WEB.H264-GLHF[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder
2022-02-22 15:15:29.1|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Media/Torrents/Downloading/The.Expanse.S06E01.REAL.PROPER.1080p.WEB.H264-GGEZ[rarbg]. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder

https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/troubleshooting#remote-path-mapping

Thank you for sharing that link. It doesn’t give a suggested path structure but this article (https://trash-guides.info/How-to-setup-for/Docker/) that was shared in another forum suggests this path structure

I think I have accurately replicated it. Here’s my path architecture:

Once I updated the structure according to the article, I no longer get the “import failed: path does not exists or is not accessible by Sonarr”. However, it still fails to move the complete download from the download folder and still gives error message. Now the error messages say this instead…

Any idea what the error could be if it’s still not working after correcting the paths?

On the advice of a friend, I re-installed Sonarr via Docker following these instructions (https://mariushosting.com/how-to-install-sonarr-on-your-synology-nas/)

The article says to update the PUID, PGID, TZ and two volumes to match your setup. I’m guessing I messed up one of those settings? Here’s what I put for those values…
docker run -d --name=sonarr
-p 8989:8989
-e PUID=1026
-e PGID=100
-e TZ=America/New_York
-v /volume1/docker/sonarr:/config
-v /volume1/media:/tv
-v /volume1/data/torrents:/downloads
–restart always

The part that is not clear is whether the problem arises from passing the mapping instructions incorrectly in the initial installation or whether the virtual paths are mapped correctly but there is a permissions problem.

I am installing Sonarr via Docker using theses instructions (https://mariushosting.com/how-to-install-sonarr-on-your-synology-nas/)

The website says to change the format to match your specific setup. To answer your question, specifically, are the three lines BELOW the TZ=America/New_York paramater formatted correctly for my system configuration.

docker run -d --name=sonarr \ -p 8989:8989 \ -e PUID=1026 \ -e PGID=100 \ -e TZ=America/New_York \ -v /volume1/docker/sonarr:/config \ -v /volume1/media/tv:/tv \ -v /volume1/data/torrents/tv:/data \ --restart always \ ghcr.io/linuxserver/sonarr

My system configuration is Volume 1>data>torrents>tv and Volume 1>media>tv

I figure either those are incorrect (perhaps a name a space between “volume” and “1”? maybe it should say “host” instead of “volume1”?). Is one of those formats wrong?

Look at the picture above again and compare with what you have.
It’s supposed to be /data/torrents and /data/media
You have /data/torrents and /media

To try to be even more clear, it’s not clear to me why the file structure in the wiki instructions is data/torrents/tv but the path mapping only references host/data. Does referencing the data folder give Sonnarr access to all the subfolders in it (i.e. movies, music, and tv)? If Sonarr doesn’t need to be pointed at the specific tv subfolder, why is it necessary to reference the data folder at all, why not just reference the host folder and let Sonarr sort out the subfolders?

It’s not clear to me why the instructions suggest to setup of movies, music and tv subfolders if the setup parameters passed to Sonarr only reference the data folder

No… :pensive:
Just the /config and /data mounts. Don’t do the retarded suggested /tv and /torrents and /whatever mounts of the linuxserver docker.

And apparently also retarded instructions of mariushosting.

I wish people with no understanding of docker or even basic linux knowledge would stop preaching their “knowledge” and dedicating entire sites to it.

1 Like

The reason is that inside docker, each mount point is a separate disk, for simplicity’s sake.
You’ll be doing slow ass file copies instead of instant moves, when sonarr wants to import a completed download. It’s super inefficient.

Edit: it’s also waaayyy easier to just give all your dockers the same /data mount, and you won’t have to fiddle with remote path mappings (assuming your download client is a docker container as well, which is not clear to me).

Thank you for jumping in and trying to help Thirrian. :slight_smile: I see what you’re saying. The instructions have “media” inside the “data” folder, whereas I have media outside the data folder. I was trying to to use “data” only for temporary/transitional files which is why I tried to separate out permanent/keep files in media.

That being said, does “media” HAVE TO be under data for Sonarr to work? As long as I pass the right parameters in the initial setup…

shouldn’t it still work?

To try to ask more clearly, do I have to revamp my file architecture for it to work? Or do I just need to correctly tell Sonarr where each file type resides?

I revised it to this. Is that correct now?

I removed the line referencing TV like I think you’re saying. When I do that, I get an additional System>Status message which wasn’t there before, “Missing root folder: /tv/”

I’m using Download Station because I’m familiar with it. It is NOT running in a Docker container. Should it be? Is it even available to run inside a container?

I’m beating my head against the wall trying to determine the exact nature of the problem here. Then again, if I understood the nature of the problem, I guess there wouldn’t be a problem. I would just fix it. LOL.

Anyway, I’m guess there are two problem in this screen shot here. Perhaps a path problem that causes the first two error message and an additional permissions problem that causes the third error message?

I assume there’s some format error with the two lines above "–restart always " which causes the first two error messages? If so, can someone please help me with what the correct format would be

To do that, I presume you need to know my file structure which is…

Next, my guess is the last error message is a permissions problem because the path that Sonarr says “does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr” definitely does exist so I presume the problem is not being accessible to Sonarr. If so, how do I fix that?

I have a similar problem… I just can’t solve it, even after doing so much research. The difference in my setup is, that sonarr AND nzbget are both in docker. How shouldd my path setup be? Do I still have to do remote mapping?

Sorry to hear you’re having the same issue Pina. Thirrian gave some useful feedback. I tried what he said but it didn’t fix the problem.

Meanwhile, bakerboy448 just throws out condescending comments about “read the instructions” and, if you can’t understand the instructions, pay for Hulu (on Reditt not here). Which is kind of ironic given that, if the instructions were that clear, then these forums for people to ask questions about what they didn’t understand in the instructions wouldn’t exist in the first place :roll_eyes:

Hopefully someone else with a helpful spirit will eventually come along. If I figure out the issue, I’ll let you know what it was. Please do the same if you find the solution.

It’s probably doing to be something as simple as there is one extra space somewhere or needs to be one less space somewhere or something really simple and stupid like that. Just have to wait for someone nice to come along who’s willing to take the time to look at it.

I even tried PGID and PUID 0 as root users and still don’t have permission… It’s so weird

Question, and playing Devil’s Advocate:

Any reason to not just follow the guide? https://trash-guides.info/How-to-setup-for/Synology/
It step-by-steps through everything. Creating shares (and why the structure is how it is). Users. Permissions. Examples. Actual scripts that you can use.

There’s even an automated script you can try that should take care of everything for you.

If you’re insistent upon not following the guide and doing your own thing, the guide at least should provide enough explanation and example that you can modify your custom config to work.

Eg. In order to fix probable permissions related issues:
https://trash-guides.info/How-to-setup-for/Synology/#permissions
Except modify it for whatever users and paths you have setup, since your current one appears to be non-standard.

2 Likes

That’s the same guide that has been linked and repeatedly not followed and ignored.

Yet they claim no one helps them.

What’s the saying? You can lead a horse to water…

Guess we’d have a lot of dehydrated dead horses.

1 Like

Sigh :roll_eyes: I will try going through the guide AGAIN for the umptenth time.

The guide isn’t as easy as you seem to think it is with your computer background that is obviously more extensive than mine. If you came into my cockpit, I could explain how everything in the cockpit works in “simple” steps that anyone with an aviation background would understand and then imply how you’re as dumb as a dead horse for not understanding it because you don’t have the same aviation background that we do.

To specifically answer your question, I strongly suspect it comes down to something as simple as a missing / or : or simply right clicking on a folder and changing permissions. So I asked because it would be so much easier to get some helpful feedback rather than reading through page after page after page of guide again for that one sentence that I missed or didn’t fully understand buried in pages of other info irrelevant to the issue.

Question, and playing Devil’s Advocate:
If it’s so easy to follow the guide, why have forums for people who didn’t understand the guide? Apparently it’s just to give people an opportunity to talk down to others so they can feel better about themselves because in one, specific area of life, they know more than someone else :thinking:

While the guide may not be easy, it does appear to have enough detail that if you follow it through step-by-step without deviating, then you should arrive at the end with a working configuration without needing to know or do anything else that is not outlined in the guide.

Anywhere you choose to deviate, then you should feel comfortable enough in knowing what you’re doing, and why, to do so. Otherwise I would suggest just stick to what is outlined. And instead of trying to fix what you already have as a result of following other guides; scrap and start over.

Given you’re on DSM7, and from what I understand of it from the many posts across many different forums, it really FUBAR file permissions. So you are likely at least partly correct, that permissions are at least a factor in the issues and errors you are encountering. However, based on your earlier screenshots (I don’t know if any config has changed since then) your directory structure doesn’t follow the suggested tree. And did you look up your PUID and PGID as directed? The fact that you ended up with the same PUID as the guide you initially followed seems like a great coincidence. How to find these values is outlined in both guides.

Forums are for identifying and fixing issues outside of any guides, identifying where there may be a gap in a guide (eg. missing step or detail), figuring out why something is not behaving as expected etc. I don’t care about internet points, and I don’t intend to appear to be talking down to you or anyone else. What I am trying to point out though, is that based on what has been posted so far it seems that you have not followed the guide, and that is the reason why you are having issues.

Another way to look at it would be this: at this point you should not be reading through the guide again for the umpteenth time hoping to stumble across a sentence that you missed. You should be going through step-by-step and either confirming that your setup matches the guide, acknowledging and understanding that any deviation from the guide you have made is correct and will work as you have set it instead, or correcting your config so that it now matches the guide.

However, since even your main share needs correcting (based on your earlier screenshots at least), and that is essentially step 2 of the guide, my suggestion would still be to scrap and start over.

1 Like