Sonarr fails to launch

Sonarr version (exact version): latest download, 2.0.0.4949
Debug logs: Unable to get logs because Nzbdrone won’t start.
Description of issue: The following console error pops up when attempting to launch NzbDrone.Console.exe. Further, upon reinstall, the same message pops up. Additionally, the Windows service fails to launch when attempting to start.

Console: https://i.imgur.com/Fexo1Gx.png

You can get the ((log files)) directly from the file system.

Looks like this could be a problem with the .net install on your system, but log files may point out additional information.

Since I do not have a config.xml to adjust to debug logs, I attempted to use Event Logger to see what’s going on. Unfortunately, I was presented with this error: https://i.imgur.com/8Lv36OJ.png

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I also ran the .net fixer program and sfc /scannow

Do the log files exist?

ProgramData is a hidden folder, you’ll either need to type the path in or be able to see hidden folders.

No clue on that, looks like you have have bigger problems than Sonarr failing to start.

Which version(s) of .net do you have installed?

I am in the ProgramData/NzbDrone folder but there are no logs present. I have versions 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4 (client), 4 (full), 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, and 4.7 all installed.

Based on the error an assembly that is included with .net is missing, which leads to logs not being generated. Which tool did you use to repair the .net install?

Beyond fixing .net (which I don’t have any concrete suggestions on how to do so), I don’t have any other ideas to fix this, at this time.

I’ve used many different things to try to fix .net. First I used the Microsoft supplied .net fixer which found no problems. Then I completely uninstalled and reinstalled all .net frameworks. Sonarr still won’t load (and neither will Radarr, coincidentally). I believe this problem only began a few days ago when, out of the blue, my computer (upon start-up) ran a disc repair. I don’t understand what it repaired or how I can manually fix it. Any suggestions?

No I don’t have any other suggestions. The fact that the repair happened then the issues arose sounds like something was corrupt, repaired and things still aren’t quite right is a red flag, but I’m not sure what you could do to try and fix it.

Do you have System.Configuration.dll in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319?

Yep, System.Configuration.dll is correctly in the path specified. I think I am going to put Sonarr into a Docker and hope that will solve my issues – one day, I guess a full Windows reinstall will be needed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.