Sonarr downloading duplicates? Or renaming issues

Sonarr version (exact version):
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
OS: Ubuntu 21.04
Debug logs:
Description of issue:
I have set up sonarr and sabnzbd. Sometimes episodes are being downloaded twice.

Episode naming:{Series Title} S{season:00}E{episode:00} {Episode CleanTitle} {[Quality Title]}{-Release Group}

So basically episode-filenames look like

The Flash (2014) S08E17 Keep It Dark [WEBDL-720p]-GOSSIP.mkv

But sometimes there are duplicates being downloaded and two files end up in the season-folder, one named

The Flash (2014) S08E17 Keep It Dark [WEBDL-720p]-GOSSIP.mkv

and the other

The Flash (2014) S08E17 Keep It Dark.mkv.

Weird thing is: Sometimes the file sizes are different. In the above case the one without the suffixes (quality and release group) is 1,3GB, the other 2,5GB. The smaller one with the suffixes is the one which was downloaded 2 hours later. But thats not always the case, most times the filesizes are identical.

So I guess it must have something to do with either sonarrs renaming or the upgrade mechanism (or both), cause in the shows’ profile I’ve setup an upgrade to “BlueRay-720p”? I thought it might be a problem with permissions, sonarr not being able to delete an old file when grabbing an upgrade, but I didn’t find any permission errors in the logs.

If Sonarr can’t delete the file before importing it won’t import a file.

The fact that one file is named correctly and the other isn’t leads me to believe Sonarr isn’t importing it twice, but rather something else is.

There isn’t anything else which could do that. This duplicates first started to appear when I changed my naming scheme to the one above, with quality and release group in the filename.

Sonarr wouldn’t import one file with one format and one with another though, especially when there is already another file there.

Best guesses where it’s coming from:

  • TV renaming is enabled in SABnzbd
  • Another instance of Sonarr is running elsehwere
  • An instance of something else is running elsewhere

Take a look at the episode history in Sonarr, it’ll show you all the grabs and the imports. Also post the relevant debug logs of the double import.

TV Renaming can’t be enabled when using sonarr. Sonarr does notify the user to deactivate sabnzbds renaming function (and it is deactivated for me). Also it would have produced this error before, not since I changed the filename scheme in sonarr.

There is no other sonarr running. Theres only one Heimdall, one Sonarr, one Lidarr and one Radarr-container running in the docker stack.

I will take a closer look at the debug logs, but I couldnt find anything so far.

Yesterday it happened again with the newest episode of Star Trek Strange New Worlds:


Screenshot Sonarr Download History:

Sonarr Episode History:

Logs from yesterday:

The Import of the downloaded file happened at
2022-06-23 09:00:45.0|Debug|EpisodeFileMovingService|Moving episode file: /downloads/Star.Trek.Strange.New.Worlds.S01E08.1080p.WEB.H264-GLHF/ to /storage/tv/Star Trek - Strange New Worlds/Season 1/Star Trek - Strange New Worlds S01E08 The Elysian Kingdom [WEBDL-1080p]-GLHF.mkv

Just one grab and one import from Sonarr, that other file isn’t coming directly from Sonarr, only other thought is a Custom Script in Sonarr that is duplicating the file.

And yes, Sonarr doesn’t want TV renaming enabled in SAB, but people have managed to ignore that warning and re-enable it after adding SAB to Sonarr.