Sonarr cannot see my USB drive on Raspbian

Sonarr version (3.0.6.1196):
Mono version (6.12.0.122):
Raspbian:

Hello, I have a fresh install of sonarr running on Raspbian (32-bit). The issue I am having is when I try to add a root folder or add a new path and point it to the directory on my USB drive for media management, I cannot see the USB drive at all.

In Raspbian, the USB drive is listed fine under ‘/media/pi/WD_BLACK’ in both shell and GUI fine. When trying to add a path for files to be stored, the folder is not seen.

I did also try setting the chown to pi with no changes.

pi@raspberrypi:/media/pi $ ls -la
total 12
drwxr-x—+ 3 root root 4096 Jun 10 13:32 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 11 11:45 …
drwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 4096 Apr 19 07:53 WD_BLACK

pi@raspberrypi:/opt/Sonarr $ sudo chown pi:pi /opt/Sonarr/

drwxr-xr-x 6 pi pi 24576 Jun 3 07:51 Radarr
drwxr-xr-x 3 pi pi 12288 Jun 10 12:39 Sonarr

It may be a permissions issue with Rasbian but I don’t have this issue with other apps.

Any advice?

Why do you have Sonarr installed in opt? Sounds like you did an unsupported, manual install.

https://sonarr.tv/#downloads-v3-linux

The issue is however almost guaranteed to be basic ownership/permissions between sonarr and the folders on the drive

Interesting. I did not know that the manual way was unsupported. I will uninstall and try repository method. Not sure if it will fix the permission issue but worth a try.

So I have done a supported install and I still see the same issue. The USB drive is not seen when using Media Management and trying to add a folder to point to.

presumably basic linux ownership/permissions

the user/group sonarr is running as needs to be able to access the drive.

So, I am not sure exactly how to check the permissions for sonarr itself. When editing the service, this is what I see. It was set to sonarr for for the group as well and the umask was set to 2.

This file is owned by the sonarr package, DO NOT MODIFY MANUALLY

Instead use ‘dpkg-reconfigure -plow sonarr’ to modify User/Group/UMask/-data

Or use systemd built-in override functionality using ‘systemctl edit sonarr’

[Unit]
Description=Sonarr Daemon
After=network.target

[Service]
User=sonarr
Group=users
UMask=0007

Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono --debug /usr/lib/sonarr/bin/Sonarr.exe -nobrowser -data=/var/lib/sonarr
TimeoutStopSec=20
KillMode=process
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The drive itself has a user and group of pi

pi@raspberrypi:/media/pi $ ls -la
total 16
drwxr-x—+ 4 root root 4096 Jun 21 16:50 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 11 11:45 …
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jun 12 14:53 share
drwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 4096 Jun 20 14:58 WD_BLACK

well that makes sense

sonarr:users will NEVER be able to see something owned by pi:pi

it’s linux ownership/permissions 101.

docker guide has a good overview of permissions and ownership…ignore the docker specific pieces https://wikijs.servarr.com/docker-guide

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.