SOLVED: Arch, Sonarr, NZBGet and file permissions. Want to punch the wall!

Antergos

Couldn’t import episode /TV Shows/NCIS.New.Orleans.S04E01.720p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-tek54m-postbot/69c04ee5440a44f290db6ffe78611952.mkv: Access to the path is denied.

First off, I’m a dumb Linux newbie. I know the solution to my problem is something really stupid I’m overlooking but after a few hours of pounding my head into the freaking wall, I have no idea how to get this working and need to ask for help.

I installed Plex, Sonarr and NZBGet. Everything is setup and configured (program wise). When I add a show in Sonarr, NZBGet downloads it but I get ‘access denied’ when it attempts to import/rename it.

/TV Shows is owned by ‘gene’ and my account is in the ‘users’ group. I can go into that folder and create/rename/delete whatever.

I have issued the commands to add users; plex, nzbget and sonarr to the ‘users’ group. (By my logic, if these users all belong to the same group as my account, they should be able to interact with the files/folders WITHIN that group that my account belongs to, or not?! My brain is fried right now and my kid is busting my chops NON-STOP to play Mario Kart so I’ve been trying to figure this out and get my head straight to post here so please forgive my ramblings.)

When Sonarr tells NZBGet to grab a show, the show is downloaded and placed in /TV Shows but it never gets renamed and placed into the season folder in that directory. When I right click on the NCIS folder that just downloaded, it has a padlock on it and shows that nzbget is the owner. Sonarr is the owner of the NCIS/Season X folder but it’s empty because Sonarr can’t rename/move it in there.

This is a case of me not being able to see the forest for the trees. If all these users belong to the same group, why can’t they all get along and this all just work?!

I think part of my frustration is I’m getting ready to move from Mint to Antergos and I don’t recall having this much difficult getting this same setup working in Mint. Before I do anything, I setup Antergos on a spare PC to make sure I have the flow all working correctly. Which right now, I don’t. :frowning:

EDIT: I noticed in Mint, all these programs (well, at least I think so) run under MY account instead of separate ones like in Arch. Maybe I need to go about switching everything to run as me? I’m pretty sure this would fix my problem.

Solved my problems. I think everything centered around NZBGet being the main problem!? Just in case somebody else (far into the future) has the same issue, what I did to fix things was:

Don’t mess with any Sonarr settings. Leave it running under the ‘sonarr’ user account. Make sure to add sonarr to the groups ‘users’ AND ‘wheel’!

nzbget:

1. Log into the web console and in the security section/DaemonUsername field, change it to your account (or whatever account you want it to run under, don’t leave it running under nzbget…unless you like banging your head into the wall in frustration like I did and waste your time chasing down permission issues.)

2. Set UMask to 0000

3. Stop NZBGet (if it’s running!) and edit /lib/systemd/system/nzbget.service. Change user and group to your account and the group that you’re in.

4. Make sure all accounts are added to each others’ groups. (add your account to wheel, plex, nzbget, sonarr)… nzbget to users, plex, sonarr, wheel, etc., etc.

5. Restart the PC (I tried re-enabling the service and manually starting it but that didn’t work. I had to reboot my PC at this point.)

Right now, sonarr has NZBGet grab the files, sonarr can rename and import them and plex can see things just fine. Everything is finally working together in perfect harmony!

Side question…I’m painfully aware of how much Linux LOVES file permissions… as I switch over to Antergos from Mint, will I need to do anything special to my movies/tv folders? In Windows, when you hook up a new data drive, you sometimes have to take ownership of the folders/files. Will it be the same with switching distros? Will I have to go into the folders (once the mdadm RAID 6 array is assembled) and go into the properties of these folders and do anything?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.