Soft Links for completed torrents

Add soft links as an option for completed torrents. Once the torrent is completed the file is moved to the final location and a soft link created in the original torrent folder so seeding can carry on.

For reference this is supported on CouchPotato.

The reason I’m asking is I use a Greyhole storage pool on Ubuntu 14.04 which doesn’t support hard links.

Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn’t find any reference to it.

At this time we have no plans to support soft linking as it adds a lot of complexity to the post processing and adds a degree of frailty.

//cc @Taloth

Forgot to reply here, yay for notifications.

The problem with softlinks/symlinks is that it’s hard to keep them up to date. If the symlink is from Sonarr to the torrent download dir, then if seeding finishes and it delete the file, you lose the entire episode.
If the symlink is from the torrent download dir to Sonarr and sonarr renames the file, or replaces it with an update, you’re screwed too.

So it’s pretty much like markus said, it’s complex and certainly limits what we can do with the files. Which is why supporting symlinks isn’t on the top of the wishlist.

Thanks for the responses, don’t hard links create their own problems too. For example files have to be on the same partition.

I know there are definitely lots of edge cases and complications related to soft links, but I’d at least like to add my vote for this feature. Without it, the only way to keep a torrent seeding is to have duplicated files, which very quickly increases the size used by your media collection.

I would like to request this as well, i believe there could be a simple solution to this by using both hardlinks and softlinks.

Sonarr hardlinks the file on download to another folder lets call it HardLinkFiles and then symlinks from that file.
That will mean that you can safely delete the file on the torrent and safely delete the symlink on the other side as well.
If the episode is deleted from Sonarr, sonarr would delete both the symlink and the hardlink on the HardLinkFiles folder, preventing the torrent client any issues. Same happens if Sonarr replaces the episode with a new one, this will prevent media from accumulating unnecessary, and the user can choose to use the “Move deleted files to this location” feature already present if they want the files to no be permanently deleted.

This will not resolve my personal issue (using hardlinks on a ReFS volume) but it would mean that we can use symlinks to other drives or to even network mapped locations.

might be worth a look to get Sonarr to feed into FlexGet and have FlexGet rename and move files (without breaking seed) to its final location where your Media front end (XMBC/Plex) can read them. This would avoid symlinking and tells the BT Client what the name and location of the file. never could get my config (when I was using Flexget) to work in this manner. But I’m pretty sure FlexGet Devs could help sort this part out