Socks5 Implementation

Sonarr version 2.0.0.5252
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I was wondering how strict Sonarr’s SOCKS5 implementation is. If, for some reason, the proxy connection goes down does it then communicate in the open, or does it simply cease to function. I currently run my entire server behind a vpn, but would love to move away from that if i can avoid exposing my real IP to my indexers.

And yes, I know I’m paranoid, you generally don’t need to worry about indexer traffic. But hey, just because you think everyone is out to get you, doesn’t mean they’re not.

Afaik the connection simply fails, but best way is to just try it. If you’re paranoid you’re not going to trust some app blindly anyway and gotta check if the connections indeed go via the socks5 proxy. :smile:

PS: Another good option might be to run Sonarr (and I can’t believe I’m suggesting this) inside a docker container. You can configure docker in such fashion that apps inside it can only communicate via a virtual network that is routed via vpn. It provides far higher guarantees, since you control the entire connection. Even if an app was malfunctioning or malicious it wouldn’t be able to bypass the vpn.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.