Seedbox - too easy?

More of a “This seems to have been too easy, am I missing something?” question than an issue.

So I’ve got Sonarr and Plex sitting on a local linux server here.
And I’ve got Deluge sitting on a remote linux seedbox.
On the remote server I’ve got Deluge using a bunch of folders (‘act’ for active torrents, ‘add’ for the watch folder, ‘dld’ for the downloading files, ‘ext’ for the extracted archive files) all sitting within a main folder (/srv/deluge/).
On the the local server I’ve used SSHFS to mount the ‘parent’ deluge folder to the same mount point locally.
Then I set a new Download Client in Sonarr pointing to the seedbox.
Turned off the “Hardlink instead of Copy” option.

And it seems to be working. Aside from the painful hours it took to get the seedbox running (about 6 - Deluge didn’t want to play nice), and having to create the “tv-sonarr” label on Deluge manually first (I forgot that step) - am I missing something obvious that might make the whole thing fall in a heap in the future, or assuming both ends maintain a stable internet connection, does that look OK?

edit: I’ll add that I was genuinely surprised that the first torrents added went through all steps just fine - triggering a dl via a manual search in Sonarr had it popping up in the Deluge client, on completion the file started copying from :/srv/deluge/dld/ to the Plex folders via the sshfs. Honestly, it did just seem to easy.

Actually I would change one or two things. For me anyway SSHFS was crazy slow, even on a 1gps hard connection, you may want to check your speed with it, I use rsync.

Also you should probably move completed torrents to a “completed” folder and then mount or rsync that, this is to avoid unnecessary traffic as the file gets updated while it is torrenting and prevent the race condition that deluge reports the torrent as done but your sync solution isn’t complete and you don’t want sonarr copying the incomplete file to your episode store.

Since setting it up I’ve read other complaints about the speed. To be perfectly honest, I haven’t tested it until now.
It looks OK on the couple of tests I did. I’m on ADSL @ approx 14 mbps so it doesn’t need to deliver awesome speed, however I’m reading reports of speeds dumping down to being measured in double-digit kbps, which would be a worry, so I’ll have a look into working out rsyncing a ‘completed’ folder.

Though I admit I don’t know how Sonarr handles that; setting deluge to move completed downloads is trivial, setting rsycn to sync the remote folder to a local folder periodically would I guess be easy enough as well - how does Sonarr then work out when it can move the locally copied file to the media store. Things for me to work out (unless that is literally what the ‘Remote Path Mappings’ settings in Sonarr are for).

I’ll have a play around. I wouldn’t think partial copies would be an issue - sshfs isn’t actually syncing that folder, just mounting it into the file system, AFAIK, but I also admit I have no idea how fault tolerant it is and being ADSL it’s not the most stable connection, so again - I’ll look into rsync.

Thanks.

I have watched sonarr in debug mode, once the torrent finishes it goes looking for the completed file, possibly using the remote path mapping if you have defined one. If the file isn’t there it just waits a bit and tries again until it finds the file.

SSHFS certainly is simpler but given the size of the files being moved around the performance issues were unacceptable for me and fortunately deluge and sonarr both have mechanisms which allow for an alternative to direct file system mounting.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.