Restore to a new seedbox with different Root Folder paths

Hello,
I have currently got my Sonarr installed on a Seedbox (NVMe SSD box from UltraCC) and it is working how I want.
My Root Folders are set at directories that are mounted by rClone to 2 different high storage VPS servers called V1 and V2

Example of my Root Folders:
/home27/[user]/Series/V1/ActionAdventure
/home27/[user]/Series/V1/Comedy
/home27/[user]/Series/V2/Reality
/home27/[user]/Series/V2/ScienceFiction

Now, the issue is that I am looking to move to a better spec NVMe SSD seedbox - with UltraCC, so the exact same OS and version of Sonarr to avoid any issues when restoring from a backup zip file.

However, the [user] is determined by the username you choose for the seedbox, ofc my current one will be taken by the existing lower spec seedbox that currently hosts my Sonar.
Adding to this, then the “/home/” bit of the pathway will have a number after it depending on how it is assigned by UltraCC.

The idea was set up the new better spec (higher traffic allowance and 4TB NVMe SSD instead of 1TB to help torrent seeding), use rClone to mount to the same locations:
/home#/[user]/Series/V1/
/home#/[user]/Series/V2/

I wouldn’t need to move any content, as the content is just rClone mounts by SFTP to my external 2 VPS (V1 and V2).
So the issue would be the Root Folders still being to the old pathway number and username of that seedbox when restoring it to the new one.

I have read that you CAN edit the root folders in the .db with programs such as HeidiSQL, but this seemed more aimed at moving from a Windows based Sonarr to an Ubuntu one and a bit beyond me.
I have also tried generic shorthand in the root folder themselves e.g. ~/Series/V1/ in the hope that it would just load straight to that location of the V1 rClone mount, like is the case in FileBot - but no joy in the WebUI of Sonarr - once ~/ is typed, the clickable folders then disappear and I can’t save the filepath.

Is there a way that I can do my backup, fire up a blank Sonarr on the new seedbox and restore, with the root folders then pointed at the rClone mount points? Even if this is editing the root folders in the .db to match the new Root Folders paths, then transferring that database to the new seedbox - so that it think it’s always been those pathways (the new ones)

Or, would I need to add the new Root Folders to a clean Sonarr on the new seedbox, then use the Import feature to go through and match the shows from the folders that are in the mounts?
I want to avoid this Import method, as all files have already been renamed by Sonarr in their place to follow: Series (Year) - S00E00 naming format; so using Import will list EVERYTHING as HDTV by going off it’s already edited filenames that no longer have the release group bits to show they are WEB-DL/WEBRip/BluRay/etc.)

In a perfect scenario and if this wasn’t moving Sonarr on one seedbox to the another, but just by a dedicated VPS to a new one - it wouldn’t be an issue as of course my pathways would just be: /home/moviebox/Series/V1/ which I would mirror on the new better spec VPS.
But it’s the fact the seedbox is /home27/moviebox/Series/V1/ means it WON’T be that on the new seedbox,…it could be /home46/[NEWusername]/Series/V1/ (which would still be fine if ~/Series/ shorthand worked when setting up a Root Folder in Sonarr WebUI, like it does for FileBot to that directory level - the /home#/[username]/ bit would be covered by the use of ~/)

The same is true for my Radarr, obviously replacing the /Series/ bit of the pathway with /Movies/.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I believe it should just be a matter of restoring the backup, add the new Root Folders, and then use the Mass Editor to update the paths for the existing series to point to the correct newly added Root Folder. No need for db edits or anything that complicated.

Hi fanboy,

Thanks for the response.

This was what I was going to try firstly, bit I wasn’t sure if that would begin to “move” the files…
And being that files were already in the new place (as it’s just an rClone mount point so no actual moving is needed), it would either be like “ah yes, they are there, but all are HDTV” or selecting to Move Files from Mass Editor would error.

Trivial question, but so when doing the Mass Editor on the new seedbox after restoring the backup, and changing to its new Root Folder, guessing I don’t chose to “Move Files” - as they will already be there from the rClone mount? Or do I select it so that all the shows paths themselves update?

Once again, thank you!

Note: I do have a “spare” seedbox, so I will install Sonarr onto that and rClone mount to try as you’ve said to confirm all working.
Then proceed with grabbing the new higher spec seedbox if all is good.

Hi fanboy,

Just tested this on my spare seedbox.

-Backed up the existing Seedbox Sonarr
-Restored to a blank Sonarr on different seedbox (so different /home#/[username/ pathway)
-Updated the password and username to log into Sonarr through my seedbox panel
-Quickly disabled all indexers so it didn’t go mad trying to catchup grabbing the episodes in that missing time when tasks ran
-Added new Root Folder that was /home#/[username]/ for each one (with the new home number and username
-Mass Editor with a custom filters to only show each series from the pathway to select all and move them to their new Root Folder
(Selected Move Files - haven’t tried without selecting this yet, but assuming I NEED to so that each series listing changes to the new Root Folder?)
-Checked and history and quality of episodes were there for that Mass Edited bunch of series, with new home number and username pathway

Thank you SOOOO much!
This has meant that I can now upgrade/change seedboxes without a worry when restoring my Sonarr to them (as the content will always just be rClone mounted)

Perfect!

1 Like

Excellent.

Yeah, not sure what the correct approach is regarding the Move question. I think possibly choosing the No, I’ll move them myself choice and then doing a rescan afterwards, at which point Sonarr should see that all the files already exist at the new path. But if you’ve tested and it works when choosing move then all is well and good either way.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.