[Request] Mark episode to be replaced

I use Sonarr with Plex on my Drobo5N. I don’t do transcoding. Sometimes, a file downloaded by Sonarr is not playable on my TV (Vizio) without transcoding. I don’t want to delete the file until a new version is available, but I want Sonarr to automatically download and replace it when a new file is available. For now I have to continue to manually search for a new copy every few days and sometimes I forget.

Maybe a silly idea, as a workaround:

• Open the episode details panel by clicking on the episode title
  • In the Summary tab, click on the quality of the downloaded file, it will open a dropdown where you can manually change the quality in case sonarr didn’t get it right (e.g. a release withouth quality in the title might be marked as hdtv by sonarr while it is a webdl)
  • Set the quality as the quality right below whatever quality it was

So now you have made sonarr believe that it has a lower quality episode, which guarantees it will pick up better releases from your indexer.

Next would be to blacklist the unplayable release, I only know this “trick” to get to the screen you need:

• Go to the Search tab (still in the episode details panel) and perform a manual search
  • Send the unplayable release to your download client. Yes, really.
  • Close the episode details panel and go to Activity > Queue
  • Click the x to remove the release you just sent from your download client
  • You’ll also have the ability to blacklist the release here, which is what you want to do

Sonarr will do a search again, you may need to keep an eye on it and remove+blacklist a few more. E.g. sonarr grabs a torrent instead of nzb but it’s still basically the same release. Or the same one with -obfuscated suffix, … you get the idea.

Not 100% airtight in case -obfuscated is added to your indexer a day later and you haven’t had the chance to blacklist it yet, but it’s something.

Now sonarr should be a happy camper waiting for something to grab that isn’t the unplayable one.

Thank you for your detailed response! I will use this trick for now, but hopefully it becomes easier to do in future versions.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.