Problem after upgrading to the new Apple MacOS Beta - Catalina

Oh, well if I run it from here:

iMac:MacOS myusername$ pwd
/Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS

iMac:MacOS myusername$ ./Sonarr

Then it works without a hitch at all. I don’t have anything in my Full Disk Access list relating to Sonarr.

• Jon
1 Like

Thanks for the Command Line tip… having also tried the Catalina beta i’ve run into the same issue. This work around will help until another fix comes along.

cheers

1 Like

Been trying to find a workaround for ages that avoids having terminal open while running Sonarr, and I finally found one! Granting full disk access to sh (/bin/sh) has completely fixed it for me.

Note: I didn’t need to grant disk access to any other apps/files like Sonarr or mono-sgen64.

macOS Catalina 10.15 beta 6 (19A536g)
Sonarr Version: 2.0.0.5338
Mono Version: 5.20.1.19

1 Like

Hm. I think your workaround might be defeating the protections that Apple built into Catalina… but it’s nice that you found another workaround! Ha.

I’m hoping that when Catalina is officially released, that the Sonarr developers will fix it for everyone… :grinning:

• Jon

That worked for me!

How do you give full disk access to sh ??

Here:

Well Catalina is officially out of Beta. But given this thread I’m afraid to install it.

Any updates?

1 Like

The app Go64 (which scans your system for 32-bit apps) reports a problem with Sonarr 3.x. It says that the app is 64-bit except for libsqlite3.0.dylib (/Contents/MacOS/libsqlite3.0.dylib).

I’ve installed the final version and it broke it from being able to do anything with files, still was able to run the application and send things to a downloader but not process them or do anything with the files.

Giving full disk access to /bin/sh fixes it though at least till another fix is finalized.

how can I do this? Dont understand how you give it access?

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Click the Privacy tab and scroll down in the left column to Full Disk Access and select it.

Click the lock icon at the bottom left of the window and enter in admin credentials.

Click the plus button under the right column and navigate to Macintosh HD or whatever your main disk is called. You can press SHIFT-COMMAND-‘Period’ to see hidden files and select the ‘bin’ folder then select the ‘sh’ file.

Restart Sonarr and you should be good.

It’s not smart to leave it like that long term but it will fix it in the short term till Sonarr can get an update.

2 Likes

thanks, it works!

Hey, umm… I don’t want to be a Debbie downer, but you really shouldn’t do this.

SH (bash) is one of the main scripting engines that runs on Mac & Linux. So this would include allowing any and all scripts full system access.

This would basically be leaving your back door wide open, just to let your cat in whenever it wants… when really you need a cat flap.

I recommend waiting for a fix, or running the manual commands after startup until then

1 Like

So… is this issue an active bug / feature request that is being worked on by the developers of Sonarr? Sorry, not sure how to look that up…

• Jon

JonSF’s recommendation seems to work.
If you would like to run the app without having to keep terminal open you can run the command as:

username@macname MacOS % cd /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS
username@macname MacOS % nohup ./Sonarr &

This will ensure the app runs in background, even after you “hangup”, without verbose terminal feedback.
You can then CTRL + C (hangup) or exit terminal, but the application will keep running.

If you create a bash script you can also do the same and just run the script behind the scenes and you never have to type full command again.

2 Likes

One correct and complete solution:
Use mono’s mkbundle to generate a real executable.
Add full disk access to that.

(This currently has to be redone on updates, but could be made part of the update process).

On a mac, go to /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS

run mkbundle --simple -o Sonarr nzbdrone.exe

It should generate a standalone executable named Sonarr that can be added for full disk access and will work properly.

Of course, you still have to start it separately, but that should be fixable in sonarr itself, since mkbundle works correctly on every platform mono supports.

Hm. I get:

mkbundle --simple -o Sonarr nzbdrone.exe
ERROR: Cannot find assembly `nzbdrone.exe’

• Jon

For v3 beta I believe the main executable is now named Sonarr.exe, so use that instead if you are on v3 beta.

If you are on v2, you are either on a case sensitive FS (in which case use NzbDrone.exe) or in the wrong dir.

You will get sth like this:

mkbundle --simple  nzbdrone.exe  -o Sonarr 
Using runtime: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/bin/mono
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/nzbdrone.exe
       Config: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/nzbdrone.exe.config
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/NzbDrone.Host.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.ServiceProcess.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/Mono.Security.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Configuration.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Xml.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Security.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Core.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Numerics.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Configuration.Install.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Windows.Forms.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Drawing.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/Accessibility.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/Mono.WebBrowser.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/Mono.Posix.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Data.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Transactions.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/NzbDrone.Core.dll
       Config: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/NzbDrone.Core.dll.config
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/FluentValidation.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/NzbDrone.Common.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/NLog.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.ServiceModel.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.ServiceModel.Internals.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.IdentityModel.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Web.ApplicationServices.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Messaging.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/Mono.Messaging.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.IdentityModel.Selectors.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Web.Services.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Web.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/Mono.Data.Sqlite.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.DirectoryServices.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/Novell.Directory.Ldap.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Design.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.ServiceModel.Activation.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Newtonsoft.Json.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Xml.Linq.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/LogentriesNLog.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/LogentriesCore.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/SharpRaven.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/CurlSharp.dll
       Config: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/CurlSharp.dll.config
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/SocksWebProxy.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Org.Mentalis.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Marr.Data.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/RestSharp.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Prowlin.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Growl.Connector.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Growl.CoreLibrary.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/OAuth.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/ImageResizer.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/System.Data.SQLite.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/CookComputing.XmlRpcV2.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/FluentMigrator.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/FluentMigrator.Runner.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Web.Extensions.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/System.Data.Linq.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/MonoTorrent.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft.Owin.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Owin.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Nancy.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/NzbDrone.SignalR.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Core.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/NzbDrone.Api.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Ical.Net.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Ical.Net.Collections.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/NodaTime.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/antlr.runtime.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Nancy.Authentication.Basic.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Nancy.Authentication.Forms.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Nancy.Owin.dll
     Assembly: /Applications/Sonarr.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Owin.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/I18N.West.dll
     Assembly: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/lib/mono/4.5/I18N.dll
systemconfig: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/etc/mono/config
machineconfig: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/6.4.0/etc/mono/4.5/machine.config
Generated Sonarr

dberlin - that worked, but aren’t .exe files for Windows? Don’t we want to make a .app file?

• Jon