Prefer x265 files?

Is it possible to setup a preference for x265 files?

2 Likes

If the codec is in the name, you can use tags with restriction. Like ā€œMust Containā€ x265

I donā€™t want to restrict them though, I just want to prefer them. 720p x265 > 720p webdl, for example.

This is not currently possible.

I would point out that you are kind of mixing and matching what you are looking for with that example. x265 is a codec; WEBDL is a quality. I think I understand what you mean though, as I asked about a similar scenario a few months back and got the same answer. (Tangentially, I donā€™t think I thanked markus101 for the quick response he gave me on the issue. A belated thanks!) What I was thinking (and what I think you meant) is to prioritize an x265 release (of any kind; WEBDL, HDTV, etc.) over an x264 release.

My way of addressing it is to have an ā€œx265ā€ profile that I use for some of my shows. subzero79 above is on the right track but in my experience some releases are named differently. I have had the best results with Must Contain x265 OR h265 OR HEVC, which I believe covers all the different ways that the uploaders say the same thing.

I would also mention that in my experience, nobody puts my shows up on Usenet in x265, only on the torrent sites so I also changed my Usenet/Torrent delay preferences accordingly for that profile.

The only catch is that it doesnā€™t really work the way you are looking for it to work. The profile will ONLY find x265 releases and will ignore x264 completely. So it is best to confirm that your show is being released in x265 beforehand. Most shows I watch are at this point, but not all.

Given that the x265 files are about 1/4 the size of the x264 file of the same quality, this is something more an more people are going to want addressed. Iā€™ll give it a shot.

1 Like

I"d be keen for this to be added as well, currently it only grabs the latest 720p or asked for quality level so this could be any format in 720p which is a little annoying when you look aback in your folder and find 4 different capture codecs

Sure you can! Just set the quality settings WAAAYYY lower than normal. :stuck_out_tongue:
I suppose the has the same effect as the tags, since you canā€™t set quality settings per profile, but without having to add the tag to every show. Or is there a quick way to apply tags that Iā€™m missing?

But yeah, a way to prefer x265, h265, or HEVC over items that donā€™t contain either would be the optimal way of sorting these.

I guess what we need, that would solve this, is a tag system that works like the quality system. Allowing tags to be setup in a ā€œpreferredā€ list would work for a userā€™s preferred Codec, Release Group, or whatever.

1 Like

@johannvonperfect, this actually changing (slowly, but changing).

i went through and manually grabbed up all the x265ā€™s for a series, but, because it wasnā€™t defined, sonarr (about a week later) replaced them with bluray versions, about 6x the size.

so, count me in as for wanting to know how to do this, too.

1 Like

Not related to the request, but you probably should take a look at your cutoff value in your profile.

Personally I would like to have the ability to have set my own quality, and slide it into the quality profile.

Which would be a resolution, or selection of resolutions, but tie it into a codec, such as x265/HEVC.

I would like to keep the same file sizes but be able to improve the quality. So a WEB-DL of 720 would normally be 1.3 GB. However I would like to be able to say grab that and tie into a x265. So I would get a higher quality WEB-DL.

Does that make sense?

1 Like

Yes, this would be good. Also, related by slightly different, be able to set up some preferred grep matches in show names in general, which could cover this.

For example, the show QI has a QI XL version, but Sonarr is not capable of seeing these as the same show, and will go so far as to overwrite QI XL eps with QI eps. However, I donā€™t think all the QI episodes are related in XL versions, soā€¦

It would be nice to be able to say for a show, ā€œprefer ā€˜x265ā€™ā€ "prefer ā€œQI.*XLā€ for example and the search would look first for a QI with ā€˜XLā€™ in the name and then, among those results, prefer a release with ā€˜x265ā€™ in the name.

1 Like

as iā€™m not terribly familiar with trello, is there a feature request or equivalent for it?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.