Plex Library Scans

Version 3.0.7.1477
Package Version 3.0.7.1477-ls136 by linuxserver.io
Mono Version 5.20.1.34
AppData directory /config
Startup directory /app/sonarr/bin
Mode Console

When sonarr is downloading multiple episodes and shows, my Plex goes into a continuous scanning libraries loop. I have even went into Plex and turned off all library scanning settings but it had no impact. Is there something in Sonarr or NZBGet that I need to configure differently for Plex to not continuously scan when these are running?

Do you have your Plex added in Sonarr in Settings>Connect? Is it set to Update Library?

I do have Plex added to Sonarr. I was not familiar with what the notification triggers meant. I didn’t know if a file was renamed, deleted, etc from plex that sonarr would be notified or vise-versa. Would I be correct that since I have ‘On Download’ enabled that every time sonarr downloads a file that plex will be notified which in turn triggers a library scan?

I believe that is indeed the case. And, you shouldn’t need it - https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/supported#plexserver

Why is plex scanning disabled?

Set Plex’s scanning settings back to the defaults and just let plex do it’s thing unless you have some odd setup where your data is remotely mounted to plex and plex is unable to watch the file system.

Why is the Plex Sonarr connection enabled? That’s rarely needed and for every import triggers a scan of your entire plex library as noted in the docs.

I knew someone out there smarter than me would have the answer! I will be re-enabling the Plex settings. I just turned them off to rule out if the scans were initiated from Plex or somewhere else.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

I’ve found the native Plex automatic scanning to be much more reliable when multiple episodes are added (when triggered by Sonarr it often misses episodes that are added while the scan is in progress), and much quicker because it only scans the folder that has changed.

The only reason to use the Plex connection in Sonarr is if your media files are stored on a network drive, in which case the scan has to be externally triggered because Plex won’t detect the changes automatically.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.