Please vote for WebP support in trackt

I recently added a feature request to Trakts support page asking them to add support for Google’s WebP image format.

This feature would allow us to save almost 50% bandwidth when serving images to chrome/opera browsers.

Please vote for the feature to make it happen.

What’s the point? WebP is not supported by other browsers, so you’d have to store the image twice to be able to serve it to all your users. And then you’d need browser sniffing or some other weird hack to determine which image you should send. All of this in an age where no one really cares in the slightest about bandwidth for something as small as images.

Once every major browser supports WebP I’ll gladly support that request but for now I think it’s a waste of time and effort.

you might not care about bandwith but most people care about load times when accessing nzbdrone remotly rather than from the local network. I would say almost all of our user are running nzbdrone using a home internet package which have much slower upstream than down. for example I have 25 mbps downlink and 2.5 mbps up-link. in an app like nzbdrone where most of the traffic is images cutting down image sizes by half means your reduce your load time from 10 seconds to 5.

webp support in nzbdrone will happen regardless of trakt support. but we might have to offload the image conversion to our servers for the time being until trakt starts serving images in webp.