"Only download with usenet / Only download with torrent" option for each show (will help with DMCA notices to ISPs and also usenet indexer hits)

I love Sonarr so much! Thank you so much for making it! It changed my family’s lives! For real!

I think this would be an awesome feature because people like me have issues with shows being downloaded via torrent even when it is available on usenet, even with the “prefer usenet” option selected and a long delay on torrents in the options. It would also help with the issue where indexers can’t be prioritized and people reaching their usenet indexer hit max for shows they don’t mind being torrented.

For example, I would set the TV show Silicon Valley to always use usenet, no matter what, because HBO shows always get people in trouble on torrent sites. I obviously don’t mind using one of my API “hits” for this.

Then there are shows that don’t even show up on usenet, which for those shows I would choose “download with torrents only” of course. Finally, I could tell shows that don’t really get TV studios in a tizzy to use torrents as well, freeing up my available usenet hits (again, this would be HUGE since we can’t prioritize indexers in Sonarr).

Anyway, I hope this makes sense. I think this would be an awesome feature!

You already can, you can assign a tag to a Delay Profile, and the same tag to series.
You’ll need to use the add icon in the Delay Profiles screen.

2 Likes

So with that setting, Torrents will absolutely never be used unless you pick that tag for the specific show?

‘that tag’ is something you need to add yourself. But if you configure everything correctly, then yes.

1 Like

Wow, I would have never thought to do this. Thanks so much!

Is there a way to make every TV show default to usenet, but on the shows I specifically say torrents are OK, to still try to try usenet and only use torrent if usenet is not giving results?

It’s ridiculously straightforward: There’s one global Delay Profile, the others are tagged, overriding the default. Just look around all those settings, there are hints on what it means in several places.

Sorry, I can be a bit dumb sometimes. So you are saying if I have a “torrent-only” tag and set it to something like a 4320 minute delay (3 days), and also have “usenet-only” tag with a 1440 minute (1 day) delay on the same show, it will try to download it from usenet, but if it’s not there within a day (which means it probably never will be) it will go to the torrent?

No, coz you said ‘torrent-only’, it’s not mix and match, it’s an override. If you want to ‘Prefer’ then you have to set it to Prefer-Torrent or Prefer-Usenet.
The first tag applies. (notice the ‘Reorder’ icon in the Delay Profiles? The first row that matches one of the tags on the series applies.)
Only ONE profile applies to the series, the tags are used to determine which one.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.