Only download first quality episode found

Quality: WEBDL-1080p 504/1008MB - 3.04/6.07GB

Original download (on 16th): Replaced by (on 21st):
The Americans 2.277GB 3.79GB version.
Billions 1.171GB 2.54GB version.
Homeland 3.108GB 5.21GB version.

How can I stop any further downloads? I really didn’t need all the ‘better quality’ downloads on the 21st. I know about toggling the monitored status if needed, a bit tedious and manual for all my shows though.

Can we have a checkbox in the ‘Profiles’ area which says something like ‘Only download first quality episode found’?

My current profile used it:

Based on the profile, unless the file from the 16th was never imported or it was deleted (and Ignore Deleted Episodes is disabled) the WEB DL would never have been downloaded on the 21st because the cutoff was already met.

If the profile was recently changed, that could explain it. We’d need to see debug logs of the later release being grabbed to advise any further.

I haven’t changed my profile in a while.

I use uTorrent as my download client and also use it to start and watch my downloaded TV shows from. When finished I delete the show from uTorrents download list (deletes torrent and data from disk).

Now, I have the setting ‘Ignore Deleted Episodes’ set to YES. Perhaps this is the problem as Sonarr does not automatically mark them unmonitored when deleted? Would this be the case?

Edit: IDE has only got to do with the file where the show has been copied and renamed to? So nothing to do with deleted directly from uTorrent? Is this right?

My log files from the above period are here sonarr_log

What’s the episode history look like for one of those episodes?

The logs you linked aren’t debug logs so they don’t have what we need to see.

Correct.

Sorry about the logs, I’ll have to turn debug logs on and wait until the issue arises again.

Here is the history for the shows in question:

And a history from the previous episode of Homeland:

The first three screenshots are expected behavior if this option is enabled:
Media Management > (enable advanced settings) > Download Propers

1 Like

Thank for the reply Thirrian.

My setting ‘Download Propers’ is set to YES. I never really looked at this setting before, I did not really understand what it meant. So I looked up the term PROPER:

“a previous release of this movie was poor and this one is supposedly better”

I haven’t really paid too much attention to this issue previously, but thinking back, at times, I’ve had the same show re-downloaded a few days or so later. I just stop and delete the download without giving it too much thought, probably wondered why at the time!

So if I change ‘Download Propers’ to NO, then I assume these multiple downloads will cease?

Does Sonarr prefer a REPACK or PROPER if available?

A1: Disabling the option would indeed prevent you from getting multiple downloads.

A2: Both repack and proper are considered equal upgrades by sonarr. There’s an open issue somewhere that discusses the merits of considering them the same/different.

Sometimes I also kind of wished that sonarr would ignore repacks, because it’s usually crap like “lol forgot the nfo/proof/… so let’s give you the entire freaking set of files again with one minor change”.
A proper indicates there’s a serious problem with the original release. “Official” rules say you should get rid of the original release and get the proper instead.

On the other hand there are plenty of release groups that fuck up a release (e.g. the video stops playing halfway through) and then release a repack, while they should have proper-ed their own release. My opinion.
So it’s still worth it to get the repack (or check out manually what’s “repacked” about it and decide if you should get it or not).

About the option in sonarr: I feel it’s a good tradeoff between getting the same file again once in a blue moon, or in most of the cases get a fix for a broken file.
So I keep it enabled and let sonarr handle both repacks and propers automatically. For me it’s not worth the “risk” of discovering I have a broken file, sometimes months after it was released and I have to find a working one manually.

For me setting ‘Download Propers’ to OFF will do the trick. Using Sonarr over that last few years I dont recall ever having issues with any downloaded videos in regards to corruption etc. On the off chance that an issue may arise I will just re-download that show manually.

Actually one show comes to mind! Just lately i’ve had issues with DTS sound in Madam Secretary, it keeps flicking on/off when using my AMP, other shows work fine. I end up just playing the sound through my TV in stereo.

Thanks for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.