Offloading Resources / Remote Path Mappings / File Access Questions

Sonarr version: 2.0.0.4866
Mono version: 5.0.1.1
OS: Ubuntu 17.04 x64 Desktop / Windows 10 Pro x64 Creator’s Update
Shows Monitored: 706
Episodes: 36,834

Hey Guys - I am almost done converting my fairly large library from disc to digital media and have 16.5tb of shows (numbers above) which are all within the same root path on a disk pool created with Stablebit DrivePool. So for a few years now, I’ve had Sonarr / NZBDrone running locally on the same Windows system as this disk pool which is currently Win10 x64. In an attempt to free up some resources, I am starting to offload some of the services like Sonarr from my Windows system, so built a new Ubuntu 17.04 x64 VM in my ESXi environment (which runs on an old beefed up laptop). Due to the amount of media, it must remain on the Windows box in the pool, but the two systems are connected via gigabit ethernet.

I’ve already got Sonarr installed and configured on this VM except for adding my media. I had already mounted the Windows share with my shows in it to a folder off of the root with CIFS, but then ran into the Remote Path Mappings option. So - this brings me to two questions, please…

1. First of all, do you think what I’m trying to do even worth it since media is staying in the same path? Disk access obviously won’t change, but is the trade off for a bit of system resources for increased network traffic (only 1 hop but uses a virtual NIC) worth it? Starting to question why I decided to try this. I wish I could move the storage off of the Windows server, but a 12 disk NAS isn’t cheap

2. If I’ve already mapped the Windows share for the root of shows via CIFS, do I need to configure Remote Path Mappings or is that only if Sonarr will be monitoring a share for shows to add which I’ve ripped from my discs? To note, the only paths Sonarr will search / monitor will be local to the Ubuntu VM however when a title is processed it would move it to the remote Windows share which is on the pool.

Thanks, Guys!

1. I have everything running in docker containers on the same host (storage comes from the host itself), I like it to remove dependencies from the host OS itself, but otherwise I don’t really care where it runs. If hardlinking is useful to you (for seeding torrents) then a single host might be better, but that depends on how the storage is pooled.

2. You won’t need Remote Path Mapping if your download client and Sonarr are on the same Ubuntu VM, it’s used if they are on different hosts or in different containers (depending on how paths are mapped).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.