Odd issue with Sonarr

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.5252
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
Debug logs:
Description of issue: Hi guys,

Quick explanation of my setup, I have an Intel NUC with Windows 10 that runs my Plex server and now Sonarr with an external HDD that holds all my Movies/TV files. Up until now, I never had an issue with Plex and the external HDD, they played nice together. I installed Sonarr and all looked well and I was extremely happy with how it was running… until I came across the issue.

For whatever reason, I can’t pinpoint a reason or the fix, when Sonarr downloads an episode (The Good Doctor) for example, everything looks like it’s doing it’s job. It will download and transfer onto the external HDD and Plex will take over a process it. However, on certain files it will cause the HDD and Plex to completely freeze up and I will manually have to disconnect the HDD and reconnect. The only way I can rectify the issue is to quickly delete the file from the HDD… everything returns to normal after that.

I did a test where I manually downloaded the same torrent and transferred it myself and everything was golden. Another test I did was have Plex and Sonarr point at a folder on the NUC itself to cross out the HDD being the issue… it still happened.

I’ve narrowed it down to Sonarr doing some weird stuff and I can’t quite put my finger on it… any ideas? I can further explain or elaborate if needed.

Cheers

Is you external HDD connected over hub, try to change ports (Some motherboards even have 2 USB controllers) try to change port/cable. I suspect an hardware issue with bandwidth that locks electronic in External HDD I’ve seen that in the past.

Also would suggest that you better use Internal PC enclosure than external HDD I’ve seen way to often people loose all of their data.

Do you have Plex auto-detecting file system changes and updating the library? Have you tried turning that off and letting Sonarr notify Plex to update it’s library or rely on scheduled updates instead?

The thinking there is the file is importing and locked, Plex tries to read it and things lock up.

There could also be issues with the hard drive Sonarr is copying files from or to.

I did a test where I had Sonarr move to file to the internal storage and the samething happened. So I’m starting to think that the HDD isn’t the issue.

Try to use lasso or similar app to track what resource is last accessed.

If you still have External HDD connected and Sonar use it, even you add internal hdd usage sonarr can still access USB drive and replicate issue.

Where are the files downloaded to initially?

Testing to the internal drive rules out writing to the USB drive, but it could be reading from the internal or external drive that’s the issue.

I turned off auto-detect in the Plex settings and let Sonarr tell Plex to update the library and the issue still remains…

As per most tutorials online, the files while downloading are in “incomplete” and the downloaded versions are in “completed”. (which are stored on the local drive. not the HDD) I have noticed that when Sonarr moves them to the HDD that the entire folder in “Completed” remains there also and doesn’t auto-delete … could they be related?

Not if it’s a seeding torrent (this is covered in the FAQ).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.