Object reference error while adding download client

Sonarr version (exact version):
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
Debug logs:
Description of issue: hi i’m trying to figure out sonar and I feel a little bit in over my head if that gives you any idea of how savvy I am. I entered all the data in to add my download client but it’s giving me “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” Please send help! thanks

Unfortunately without any specific information or logs it is going to be difficult to provide any help. Please start by reading through the wiki, which will ensure you have installed Sonarr correctly, and it will also guide you through all the setup: https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr

If you are still having problems after completing this, then please update your post and provide information regarding

Sonarr version (exact version):
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):

Logs will also definitely be helpful. Instructions were provided in the new topic template. I have pasted them here again for your reference:

Additional Information:

• Information on the log files is here: Sonarr Troubleshooting | WikiArr
  • Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings
  • Post the log file, not a line or two, or just the error from the Logs table
  • Post the full log to hone of the sites recommended in Logging and Log Files section of the wiki
  • Do not post them directly here. Post in .txt not .doc, .rtf or some other formatted document

I can’t figure out how to edit my post, so I’m just going to reply with the new information. I’m running version 3.0.9.1549 on windows.
Here is the trace log file: sonar trace file · GitHub
Hope this helps!

I replied to my post with the information you asked for. Thank you so much for your help!

It looks like there aren’t any categories setup in SABnzbd which is tripping Sonarr up, that shouldn’t happen, but for now add at least one category to SABnzb and it should work.

Edit: Looks like SAB 3.7 introduced a change that broke Sonarr, at the moment there isn’t a work around, though they may add it back to avoid the breaking API change from persisting.

I spoke some more to Zoggy and he’s been unable to reproduce with his test version, he’s asked if you could you open a thread on the forums with more information on your SAB setup.

https://forums.sabnzbd.org/

I went to my categories in SABnzbd and I already had some, but I added an additional one and it worked!! Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks for the update, was this with a brand new install of SABnzbd?

FYI, I just encountered this same problem, and was able to resolve it by adding a new category on Sabnzbd. Thank you amias; I don’t think I’d ever have figured this out without your tip.

This is a fresh installation with version 4.0.3 of sabnzbd and version 3.0.10.1567 of Sonarr.

Error from the logs:

sonarr   | [Error] Sabnzbd: Test aborted due to exception 
sonarr   | 
sonarr   | 
sonarr   | [v3.0.10.1567] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
sonarr   |   at NzbDrone.Core.Download.Clients.Sabnzbd.Sabnzbd+<GetCategories>d__10.MoveNext () [0x000b4] in C:\BuildAgent\work\63739567f01dbcc2\src\NzbDrone.Core\Download\Clients\Sabnzbd\Sabnzbd.cs:233 
sonarr   |   at System.Linq.Enumerable.TryGetFirst[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source, System.Func`2[T,TResult] predicate, System.Boolean& found) [0x0004f] in <69ada62907b24213a012734531df1db1>:0 
sonarr   |   at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source, System.Func`2[T,TResult] predicate) [0x00000] in <69ada62907b24213a012734531df1db1>:0 
sonarr   |   at NzbDrone.Core.Download.Clients.Sabnzbd.Sabnzbd.TestCategory () [0x00012] in C:\BuildAgent\work\63739567f01dbcc2\src\NzbDrone.Core\Download\Clients\Sabnzbd\Sabnzbd.cs:434 
sonarr   |   at NzbDrone.Core.Download.Clients.Sabnzbd.Sabnzbd.Test (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] failures) [0x00024] in C:\BuildAgent\work\63739567f01dbcc2\src\NzbDrone.Core\Download\Clients\Sabnzbd\Sabnzbd.cs:273 
sonarr   |   at NzbDrone.Core.Download.DownloadClientBase`1[TSettings].Test () [0x00006] in C:\BuildAgent\work\63739567f01dbcc2\src\NzbDrone.Core\Download\DownloadClientBase.cs:113 
sonarr   | 
sonarr   | 
sonarr   | [Warn] SonarrErrorPipeline: Invalid request Validation failed: 
sonarr   |  -- : Test was aborted due to an error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object