New sc-download setup can't access files even with full permissions

I’m also having the same issue, I’ve not tried a CHMOD but I’ve tried setting the group permissions and even going in to the shared folder ans setting sc-nzbdrone users full permissions but nothing

Same here. But on my Synology it’s the “Season xx” folder that has problems. All series named folders are correct, but the Season folder has a owner “101” and a group “users” with drwxr-xr-x. So I understand why it can’t put files there.
But why this has changed? Don’t know. I’ve seen it before when Sonarr tries to create new Season folders that the series folder changed in something equally odd (drwxr-xr-x).

Connecting via Telnet and running CHMOD 777 -R fixed my issue

This did not fix the problem. Still ‘access denied’.

Same here as well. Seems everything went bonkers with my installation. Very nice…

Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr

This happened after updating Sonarr and Mono on Synology.
Tried everything suggested in this thread, but nothing works. Als restart of Sonarr doesn’t work (as someone else described). Only way to get Sonarr to start again is by rebooting the Synology completely.

Hopefully this will be resolved asap. TY.

You are asking that in the wrong forum. The devs have nothing to do with the synocommunity. They kinda screwed the pooch for upgrades when they altered the user nzbdrone instead of just adding that user to the sc-download group like they did with deluge.

Sometime the best thing to do is to start “fresh”.

For instance, instead of trying to tweak folders packages and myself fiddling in the *nix layer have been messing with in the past, I just created a new shared folder for my download clients, gave sc-download permissions in the Syno layer, and stayed away from the *nix layer. Seems to work like a charm.

As far as restarting, updating, etc. just make a backup (see wiki for syno instructions), deinstall Sonarr package, reinstall the package, and restore the backup. That will mitigate any permission errors in the installation folders and databases.

They changed the users nzbdrone and sonarr to sc-nzbdrone. By default they have added it to the sc-download group instead of the sc-media group.

drwxr-xr-x 7 sc-nzbdrone nzbdrone 4096 Mar 3 19:16 nzbdrone

cat /etc/group
nzbdrone:x:265802:
sc-download:x:65537:deluge,sabnzbd,nzbget,jackett,transmission,sc-transmission,sc-nzbdrone

Edit 1: Might be wrong about not being in sc-media. Another package slipped up and removed the group, so it might be in both sc-media aswell as sc-download.

i did chown -R sc-nzbdrone:sc-download to both the source and destinations and finally sonarr was able to move and rename stuff.

unsure if now i need to make deluge change the chown upon completing files to make this work because deluge makes everything deluge/users

Edit: it seems to be the source that matters, The file that the torrent downloads needs to be sc-downloads group. not sure how to make deluge or transmission do this…

Your synology utilizes ACLs to add an additional security layer. That helps in not needing to fiddle around with the user:group in the *nix layer.

It took me a while to realize, the best thing is to stay away from the *nix layer, and use the ACLs what they are intended for.

In a “clean” setup, as long as the sc-download or sc-media group has been granted access in the Synology layer.

drwxrwxrwx+ 3 Me users 4096 Mar 6 07:49 Deluge
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 deluge users 4096 Mar 6 07:52 Once…
The + indicates an ACL is present and utilized on the folder

-rwxrwxrwx+ 2 deluge users 1997941137 Mar 6 07:53 Once…mkv
The + indicates an ACL is present and utilized on the file

Even though it seems that it all has 777, actual access is restricted by the ACL. And that’s what you want, because the ACL are the permissions in the synology layer.
Just because we got used to fiddling in the *nix layer due to packages utilizing hidden users, that doesn’t mean that was ever a good idea.

In this example, just grant the group sc-download (which contains the sc-nzbdrone user) read/write in the synology layer on the Deluge folder, and it will have no problem processing your files.

If you have other packages using hidden users, you could always add those to an existing group using for example “sudo synogroup --member sc-media user1 user…”.
But please note that will overwrite the group so all users already present in the group need to be in the command, or they will be lost.

1 Like

YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!

as per Mirxs advice i went and did “synogroup --get sc-download” which prints the current list (so you know the current ones to add in the member command)

you’ll see this (i already added deulge to this)
Group Name: [sc-download]
Group Type: [AUTH_LOCAL]
Group ID: [65539]
Group Members:
0:[deluge]
1:[sc-nzbdrone]
2:[sc-radarr]

then i added everything with “synogroup --member sc-download deluge sc-nzbdrone sc-radarr

Another thing you may want to check out is in the DSM GUI settings, go into the group management, double click sc-download then click permissions. make sure the source and destination both have access ( i had to select where my stuff was downloaded to)

everything seems to be working and i tested with importing a file that had deluge:users as the ownership and it worked.

Thanks Mirx

You can also do a “cat /etc/group” for a printout of all group memberships.

CHMOD 777 -R of the downloads AND destination folders fixed this for me

Well. I’ve tried everything suggested in this thread. Reinstall sonarr, group settings, ACL settings. Nothing seems to solve the problem. I give up…

Sonarr version (exact version): 2018303-13
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):5.8.0.108-11
Debug logs: https://pastebin.com/raw/nJ9kZjWT
(Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings and post the full log to hastebin/pastebin/dropbox/google drive or something similar, do not post them directly here. Post in .txt not .doc, .rtf or some other formatted document)
Description of issue: I’ve been using Sonarr on my Synology NAS (DS415+) since I got it several years ago. It’s worked fine until this recent update (or could have been the recent mono update). Now I get an error saying Missing root folder. If I try to add a series manually when I click to browse, Sonarr cannot see the folder where I store all of my TV shows (/volume1/video/TV). I can browse to /volume1/video, but it shows no folders under that, and there are many. I have no idea what could be causing this. Interestingly, it can see some other shares I’ve set up, and I’ve checked the permissions, and they’re actually stricter for those shares than the video share, so it should be able to see anything under that share. I also tried to browse in Radarr and the same thing happens, it doesn’t see sub-directories under video. I’ve tried rebooting the NAS, restarting Sonarr several times, nothing works. I’ve linked to the logs. Hopefully someone can see what is going wrong here. Thanks!

Also tried all of the above.
I decided to edit one of the series to change the path. I just added a letter on to the folder name.
I then imported an episode which created the new folder and imported the episode with no problem.

Using winscp I checked the group and owner of the new folder and saw that the owner was sc-nzbdrone.

I then used winscp to recursively change the owner of the TV folder to sc-nzbdrone which updated all the subfolders and seems to have fixed my import problem!

This was after trying all of the above so some of those changes may also have contributed to fixing my install.

I managed to fix this the following way
First of all, make sure NZBget is in the sc-download group.
if it’s not, you must add it

try the following:

• go to the parent folder of your “tv-folder” (mine is /volume1/series)
  • set permissions (write and read) for sc-download
  • Connect to your NAS using Putty.
    login as admin, type: sudo -i and enter your password.
  • enter the following: "chown :sc-download /volume1/Series/, press enter
  • next enter: chmod g+s “folderlocation”

Do the same for the downloadfolder. and it should work.
Files already in the folder should be changed manually.

Sonarr moving the files might take a minute or so.

I had the same issue after software update and no amount of Sonarr / Radarr restarts or Synology reboots did anything. Did not fancy uninstalling or reinstalling any of the apps.

The following worked for me and YMMV:

• Syno Control Panel
  • Group
  • sc-download & sc-media and edit permissions
  • ensured that read/write access was set for my downloads folder
  • in the subsequent pop up checked on apply to all sub folders
    I only have media files in that folder so had no concerns with applying to all other folders and files.
  • no restarts or reboots required and it was all working within 1-2 mins and the backlog of files were imported automatically with no further intervention

That did the trick for me and both Sonarr and Radarr imported files with no issues. I just wanted the least path to resistance for the fix without getting under the bonnet…

1 Like

I’ve been tearing my hair out all day on this.
Sonarr Version: 2.0.0.4689
Mono Version: 5.8.0.108
Synology DSM Version: DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1

I am having the same issues that a lot of the people on this post are having. After the most recent update to the Sonarr and Mono packages, Sonarr has stopped importing shows due to Access to Path denied errors.

Couldn’t import episode /volume1/download/nzbget/completed/TV/TVSHOWNAMEHERE/TVSHOWNAMEHERE.mkv: Access to the path is denied.

I have verified that sc-nzbdrone is a member of both sc-download and sc-media:
sc-download:x:XXXXX:apps,nzbget,sc-radarr,sc-nzbdrone
sc-media:x:XXXXX:apps,nzbget,sc-nzbdrone,sc-radarr

I have verified that in the GUI that sc-media and sc-download have full read/write access to /volume1/download/ and all subsequent folders. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Sonarr. I have verified a umask of 000 from NZBGet. I even created a new shared folder under /volume1/test, gave sc-media and sc-download full read/write and still it doesn’t import. I changed the owner:group to sc-nzbdrone:sc-media and sc-nzbdrone:sc-download on /volume1/test and it still didn’t work! (That one kinda blows my mind). I’ve also tried manual imports from /volume1/download/Torrents and those don’t work. Permissions have been verified on all folders in question.

Here’s the nutty thing: RADARR STILL WORKS FINE. Deleted one of my movies and re-downloaded it with ZERO issues. It’s able to pull from /volume1/download/nzbget/completed/Movies with no problem. But Sonarr can’t pull from /volume1/download/nzbget/completed/TV.

I’m at a complete loss as to why this isn’t working anymore. Can anyone give me some more things to try?

Okay…I just figured it out. I had to allow the sc-media and sc-download groups Full Control over the DESTINATION directories…which are /volume1/media. For the love of Pete man…all this time I thought it didn’t have control over the SOURCE directory. That is some really ambiguous logging.

Thanks @molachai for that last tip — I had tried everything else here (reinstalled Sonarr, made sure sc-nzbdrone was in the sc-download and sc-media groups, made sure those groups had read-write access to source folders)… but it turned out that it was indeed the destination that was the problem. Sonarr really needs to fix that error message!

As a side note, changing permissions through Synology’s web interface seems to really mess things up — whether applying extra permissions or changing owner — I did something where Plex no longer had access to its library (that’s the destination for Sonarr) so I reset the owner of that folder to “plex” and checked the box to “Apply to this folder, sub-folder, and files”… when it finished, I SSH’ed in to my NAS and found that it had erased the normal linux permissions on all the subfolders, and Plex was unable to start. :frowning: Had to chmod -R 777 on the Plex folder to get back to normal… finally it all works again. Ugh!