So Ive moved from SickChill to Sonarr.
Im still not sure whether or not it was the right move as there is some items that I consider basic functionality missing from Sonarr that I find very surprising.
Heres some of the items / functions that I believe Sonarr should include that SickChill (and other) TV Show downloaders already have:
- Ability to dump bulk episodes in a location and have Sonarr automatically sort them out if the show is in the series list
- This is basically what DroneFactory did which is gone in v3. I realize this is not a regular occurring need and Sonarr generally monitors and fetches shows very well as they are release, but sometimes, there is a need to do this, particularly with older TV shows.
- Ability to complete a “Manual Search” at season level
- This functionality is only available at episode level. Users should be able to manually search for an entire season as it may be found easier than individual episodes, particularly if its an older series or season. Having this feature also minimizes the need to bulk dump episodes and have Sonarr sort them out (see first point).
- Ability to “Modify Episode Files For Series” at season level
- Users cannot delete an entire season without viewing all seasons and selecting each episode. To delete just one season, I have to select each episode I want to delete instead of selection each season I want to delete.
- Ability to remove series from email notifications
- From what I can see, there is only a global email notification setting and no ability to attach it to a particular series. A user may not want email notifications for all series, the notifications should be able to be disabled for certain series.
- User should be able to define the subject line in email notifications
- Right now, the subject line is “Sonarr- Episode Downloaded”. Not really useful information and the user does not have visibility at this level of what the series or episode was that was downloaded. Ideally, the user should be able to have some control of the subject line content or at a minimum, it should display the series & episode, with either no message content or further details about the episode quality, size etc as the message content. Something like: “Sonarr- The Flash S05E10 Downloaded” in the subject line and then “The Flash- S05E10 The Fast & The Furious HD720p Downloaded by Sonarr!” as the message content.
- The “Series Editor” should have more functionality
- Im not even sure what the point of this is, other than to change monitored status or refresh entire series. I see potential here for it to morph in to some form of batch editing tool, where users could also delete whole series or seasons of series (and remove from monitored at the same time), rename whole series or seasons and so on.
Thats all I have for now. Sonarr has benefits over other TV Show downloaders and the UI is much slicker, however, it also has some glaring deficiencies that could be easily rectified and put it on a pedastool above all other platforms.