Migrate from sickbeard

Is there a step by step guide to moving from Sickbeard/Sab to Sonarr/Sab?

https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki doesn’t seem to have any info on actual configuration.

Googling for the last 30 minutes or so, I’ve found several random reddit threads, but the instructions are akin to “if your media folder structure is good, just import it into Sonarr”, but then no further explanation about how to do so. And the wiki I linked above has no pages about importing existing media (unless I missed it).

I also just attempted to connect sonarr to sab. I filled out the same settings I see on my sickbeard screen, but sonarr complains that the category ‘tv’ does not exist. Ideas?

You need to point Sonarr at the root series folder (folder that contains all the series folders) and import the series.

You need to create the tv category in SAB.

You need to point Sonarr at the root series folder (folder that contains all the series folders) and import the series.

Can you please describe the menu choices needed to reach the area where this is accomplished? Specifically where in Sonarr do I “point” sonarr to my media? After I “point” to my media, where is the “import” option?

The above image shows how sickbeard connects to sab. As you can see the tv category is accepted by sickbeard.

I guess you mean this area in Sab?

So I would enter ‘tv’ for category, then the folder/path would be the area that Sab is already downloading my tv shows to, like c:\my-media\Videos. Do I need to enter anything in the Groups/Indexer area? I’m not sure what that is for.

I found this guide which shows most of the setup steps: http://www.htpcguides.com/configure-nzbdrone-for-usenet-tv

The one thing it doesn’t describe is the Sab category ‘tv’ setup. On Sab’s setup page, it still isn’t very clear to me what categories are for and what they do. http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-categories .

For instance, if I were to ad a category like this:
Category: tv
Priority: Default
Processing: Default
Script: none
Folder/Path: c:\path-to-my-media-folder-containing-tv-shows
Groups/Indexer: empty

Is that all Sonarr needs to connect to Sab correctly?

edit: found a more complete description of sab categories and setup here: http://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?t=9238

I wish this stuff was all on one place:) I’ll probably write up everything with screenshots once I’m done. Something like a “complete noob guide”.

Folder/Path: c:\path-to-my-media-folder-containing-tv-shows

Don’t do that. Sonarr’s job is to rename+move the download from wherever Sab puts it into your media folder.

Sonarr will watch any download in Sab that has the correct category associated with it. So if you tell Sonarr to look for a ‘tv’ category, and download in Sab marked as ‘tv’ will be tracked by Sonarr and then imported once it is completed. For the destination, just select something like c:\Downloads\Sab, something out of the way and specific to this purpose. When the download is completed Sonarr will move it from wherever it is (it gets this information from Sab’s API) to your media folder.

Can I configure Sonarr to not do any post processing? no renaming, no moving? Just simply hand Sab a nzb and then sit back and do nothing?

I’ve been happy just letting Sab put all completed media in x:\vidoes\tv.

Am I missing some great benefit by having Sonarr handle the moving rather than just letting them sit where Sab stuck them? My Plex Media server seems happy enough reading the file names ‘as is’. Most uploaders seem to name files properly according to how Plex/Other media servers need to see them.

You can, but its not really a supported scenario. Sonarr isn’t meant to be a fire and forget RSS reader, its here to manage your library and rename if you want it.

The problem with letting SAB handle the moving is Sonarr doesn’t know that the file downloaded successfully and is available until it rescans the disk some hours later, so items will appear in Sonarr as missing until that rescan takes place.

Ahh OK. That clarifies things. Thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.