Manual Metadata settings

I think it would be better for advanced users if it were possible to specify manual metadata locations and filenames in addition to the current solution (application-based settings). It would also be good to show the location and naming scheme for the current metadata settings (like Sickbeard does) so that they can be used in alternative scenarios (i.e., use the metadata storage settings from XBMC, but the series art storage settings from MediaBrowser). For instance, I use JRiver Media Center and it looks for art and metadata in a slightly different manner than Plex, XBMC, or MediaBrowser. Instead of having to add obscure and less-popular HTPC applications to Sonarr, if we could specify how each metadata is saved and named, it would mean that the user could just tailor Sonarr to meet the needs of the HTPC software and would require less work for the devs moving forward.

Showing which filenames will be created is already in Trello: https://trello.com/c/Ni4riNdc/883-show-filenames-that-will-be-created-by-metadata

As for customizing, thats not likely something we’ll support, it adds a lot of complexity and takes away from the ease of use. If something supports the same metadata files as another application we can certainly leverage that to make the implementation easier on our end, but settings for such a small percentage of users generally don’t fit well with our vision.

Does JRiver actually support Kodi’s metadata format?

JRiver does support Kodi .nfo files if they are named exactly the same as the episode file, see here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87442.0

This was coded in by Hendrik last year (author of LAV filters).

Cover art:

Season Art: can also be stored as Folder.jpg files in the Series\Season folder where your Episode files are stored.

Episode Art: A selected video frame can be downloaded from TVDB and stored in the same location as the video file, usually named SeriesName.SxxEyy.jpg.

The only remaining issue is series art. As of right now JRiver stores it in a completely different location (a specified cover art folder). I’m trying to get them to support storing the image in the upper level series directory alongside the season folders (either as folder.xyz or seriesname.xyz).

Is this separate folder under the series folder or completely separate?

Sounds like its mostly XBMC metadata with a twist, if they do plan on adding it they might as well support the new image formats (poster/banner/fanart).

It’s completely separate but I’m going to link them to this thread so perhaps they might adopt something similar to Kodi.

Edit: See here.

If they are able to add support for looking for series art in the series folder it would be great if Sonarr could add JRMC as a metadata preset! Right now it can use episode and season art from Wdtv and episode metadata from XBMC so repurposing the code shouldn’t be difficult :blush: