Manual import and multiple qualities

I have a collection of TV Shows, where each folder can contain multiple files per episode, each at a different quality. I’ve been looking for a way to deduplicate this collection, and had the idea of using Sonarr and “manual import” for it. The thinking being that similar to downloading, Sonarr will go over the files and discard lesser quality ones if it had previously parsed a higher quality one, and vice versa. What seems to be happening instead though is that I ended up with a collection of qualities that are more or less random, which I guess was a result of the order that the files were processed.

Is this working as intended, or does it sound like a bug? Is there a different way to achieve what I’m after?

Thanks!

Working as intended, Sonarr doesn’t compare files to other files unless the file is already known by Sonarr for Manual Import. What you could do is run it once, import things, then run it again and see which files are rejected for being lower/the same quality.

Alternatively you could move everything out of the series folders and tell Sonarr to process the folder(s), which should import the highest quality episode and leave the rest of the files in place. Manual Import and automatic import should handle that as long as the files are named in a way Sonarr can map them to the correct series + episode.

Just for the sake of conciseness: manual importing episodes of varying qualities, will end up deleting any “discarded” episodes. So in my case, a random subset of 720p and 1080p episodes was deleted, while the rest were properly added to Sonarr. It was just a single season of a one TV show though, so not a big deal :slight_smile:

You suggestion about moving everything into one folder and then using the “organize” (i.e. rename) functionality (I assume this is what you were referring to) seems to do the trick. Slightly a bit more manual work than I was hoping for, but definitely doable.

Thanks for the quick response!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.